JayDee's 100 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Apart from Zoolander... Brilliant. Lethal Weapon's a really good film and even my hated of Mel Gibson doesn't spoil it.
Thanks HK. This list seems like quite a rollercoaster ride with you. Up for a while and then we hit a Stand by Me or Ghost!!! Then I'm able to reign you back in. Had a feeling Zoolander wouldn't be to your tastes after you disclosed your dislike of Stiller earlier.

Back later with the next group. Would do it now but just realised that I somehow missed out a couple of films, so need to go and scribble a little bit about them. But as another little preview, next time we have - an Italian film, a brilliant and underrated 90s comedy, two 50s masterpieces and another of those films I fell in love with as a kid and still have huge affection for

35. Life is Beautiful

“This is a simple story... but not an easy one to tell.”

A truly wonderful film. Uplifting, moving, joyous and heartbreaking – at some stages all at once. More than most it's definitely a film of two halves. The first hour or so is a charming love story with slapstick and screwball elements as the clownish Guido tries to win over his 'princess'.

After that it turns into a story of surviving one of the world's great atrocities and Guido's efforts to protect both the innocence and the life of his son. The idea of him pretending they are taking part in a contest is a truly lovely and charming idea.

A film of great beauty.

34. Galaxy Quest

“By Grabthar's hammer...what a savings!”

An absolutely spot-on comedy with a whole cast who knew exactly how to play their parts and do so expertly.

And while it spoofs and makes fun of Star Trek and its fans (and sci-fi fandom in general) it also appears to have quite an affection for it. With plenty of in-jokes and a real knowledge of the genre there certainly isn't any malice in the digs it has at the genre or those who follow it.

The real treat of the film is the excellent cast of actors and the performances they provide. Tim Allen absolutely nails both aspects of his character, playing the womanising, all-American hero whose shirt is constantly 'accidentally' ripping on screen and the vain Shatner-esque character off screen who revels in the adulation he receives. Alan Rickman is also wonderful as the frustrated Shakespearean actor reduced to spouting catchphrases.

And while it's a spoof of sci-fi it also stands up as an impressive piece of sci-fi in it's own right in terms of special effects and the alien costumes created by Stan Winston.

33. Seven Samurai

“What's the use of worrying about your beard when your head's about to be taken?”

Just an incredible, incredible film! A true masterpiece. A powerful, riveting film full of humour. Full of wonderfully created characters the film also features one of the most intense and amazing battle scenes I've ever seen.

The film has a series of fantastic performances, most notably from Takashi Shimura (as Kambei, the leader of the samurai) and Toshiro Mifune as the insane and entertaining Kikuchiyo. Even though the film is over three hours long and subtitled it just flies by; it's so engrossing.

32. Strangers on a Train

“My theory is that everyone is a potential murderer.”

Out of all the great Hitchcock films this is my favourite from what I've seen so far (still missing Rear Window amongst others). I think it's just a spectacular thriller. It takes a great premise and gets every bit of tension out of it as possible.

For this film, a battle of wits between two characters, you need two strong performances. And it certainly has them. Farley Granger is excellent as Guy, a man placed in an impossible position, while Robert Walker is truly chilling as Bruno. The fact that he acts like a nice guy, under the belief that they are friends makes him more frightening than if he was just your run of the mill raving lunatic.

While the film is tremendous throughout with some wonderful moments, it is the last 20 or so minutes that truly cement this as one of my absolute favourites. Cutting between Bruno (on his way to plant evidence that will incriminate Guy) and Guy (trying to finish his tennis match as quickly as possible to catch him) Hitchcock ramps up the tension like the expert he is, particularly in the moment where Bruno drops the evidence down a drain and frantically tries to recover it.

Hitchcock was famous for his classic set-pieces to end his films and this has to be one of his best. Set on a carousel it is a truly riveting, white-knuckle finish.

31. The Mighty Ducks trilogy

“I hate kids. They're barely human.”

Ok I know this pick jumps out and will get a fair few 'WTF' reactions, especially considering the films it has just beaten, but I was obsessed with these films as a kid, and still retain a great fondness for them. In fact in the summer of 1995 I watched my recently purchased VHS of the second film so many times that I knew pretty much every single word of it off by heart.

What was really nice for me was that I felt like I was growing up with these guys, going from childhood through to their teenage years at a prestigious academy. So I had a great affinity with all these wondeful characters - Adam Banks, Charlie Conway, Greg Goldberg, Fulton Reed etc. I've always been a fan of Emilio Estevez and it originates from these films.

And while I could never argue they belong on any greatest films list (other than my own personal one) I think that for the type of film they are, they're great examples. They're immensely entertaining films which have great charm and humour. Perhaps one day I'll come to a stage where they no longer work for me but right now I still love this series of films, something that has held over since my childhood

WTF to Mighty Ducks
Thank you Plainview! I was wondering who would get in there first. But I have no problems with it. I'm very happy to have the Mighty Ducks sitting proudly on my list. I said this was a list of my favourite films and if I hadn't included it I wouldn't have been being honest, I'd have held it back because I felt embarrassed to say it on this forum of serious film buffs.

And to be honest Plainview, while I did like your list I have to say I felt it was missing a little something; namely some Mighty Ducks!!!

Thank you Plainview! I was wondering who would get in there first. But I have no problems with it. I'm very happy to have the Mighty Ducks sitting proudly on my list. I said this was a list of my favourite films and if I hadn't included it I wouldn't have been being honest, I'd have held it back because I felt embarrassed to say it on this forum of serious film buffs.

And to be honest Plainview, while I did like your list I have to say I felt it was missing a little something; namely some Mighty Ducks!!!
I will be honest, I really liked Ducks 1 when it came out in 92. I was 12 then and it was a great kids flick. I still like it for what it is but it would never make my top 250.

Not in your top 250? Oh you're a miserable, miserly so and so! As I said I didn't just like them, I was obsessed with them. They've given me so much enjoyment over the years and I don't feel ready to let them go yet!

I actually have one more of these type of picks to come, a film I adored as a kid that still means a lot to me

i didn't even know Mighty Ducks was a trilogy.
You didn't?!!! How shameful!!

About to head out just now, hopefully have time later for the next group. And that will take us down to the top 25!

30. The Matrix

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Mind blowing! When I first saw this film my mind was just absolutely blown. There were just so many moments that left me just about speechless; so many things I had never seen before. So many scenes, moments, quotes, characters which just burned into my memory instantly.

Whatever your personal opinions on the film surely no-one can deny that the film, its characters and many of its scenes are amongst the most iconic in recent memory, and indeed perhaps in cinema history.

When I first saw this film my young, juvenile 13 year old brain thought it was the 'coolest thing ever!' And you know what? I think I still kind of do.

29. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

“The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it for the first time with a sense of hope, because if a machine,
a Terminator, can learn the value of human life ... maybe we can too.”

One of the all time great sequels. While the first film was impressive, especially considering its budget, the sequel really takes things up a notch. In many ways it just recycles the first film but with the vast budget meaning that everything is ramped up. There's more of everything and everything is a hell of a lot bigger and louder.

Arnold is at his absolute best here. No matter about his quality of acting he is truly iconic here, undeniably cool as he wields weapons and spouts off one catchphrase after another. Arnie does however have someone to match him. Robert Patrick may not say more than a handful of words but makes for one of the great screen villains, with a face full of menace.

With so many memorable scenes and characters it really is just about the best movie of its kind.

28. Forrest Gump

“God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius!...You must have a god damned I.Q. of 160!
You are god damned gifted, Private Gump!”

I'm not going to say this is a 'great' film; it has its flaws, but for me it's just a very nice, very likeable film. Yes you can say it's schmaltzy and overly sentimental, but for me it all just comes across as a lovely, warm-hearted, whimsical little fable. And Tom Hanks once again is incredible.

I understand why people don't like this film. I myself don't think I could really watch it if I was looking for something to cheer me up, I'd already have to be in a decent mood. If I was at all down, or had any trace of cynicism or bitterness about me I'd probably hate it and it's saccharine ways.

Forrest Gump is a man who has been at the centre of one historical event after another, has captured the hearts and minds of America over and over again, met one President after another and has affected so much of the world we live in today; but all he cares about is a girl. About love. He may not be a smart man but when it comes to priorities in life, he may just be a bit of a god damned genius!

27. Edward Scissorhands

“You see, before he came down here, it never snowed. And afterwards, it did. If he weren't up there now,
I don't think it would be snowing. Sometimes you can still catch me dancing in it.”

One of cinema's most lovable outsiders, Edward Scissorhands may look like a monster but appears more human than most people could ever hope to be. This film truly is like a live-action fairy tale brought to life and produces one of the more unusual but touching romances there is.

While it retains the weirdness of most of Burton's work I think this is the best he has done due to it being more personal and heartfelt than most. It's just a film that leaves a warm little glow in your heart. Johnny Depp is joyously other-worldly as Edward, the kind of quirky role that he's famous for and has a touching relationship with Winona Ryder's Kim

The film looks and sounds absolutely beautiful and special mention must go to the scene where Winona Ryder dances in the snow that Edward creates from the ice sculpture. Glorious images and Danny Elfman's music make it a true wonder of a scene

26. Cast Away

“I always knew you were alive, I knew it. Everybody said that I had to let you go. I love you. You're the love of my life.”

The main reason I love this film is definitely Tom Hanks' performance, it is one of my all time favourites. Despite him being the only person on screen for the large majority of the time the film never lags. He carries the whole film, making it a gripping, engaging and touching experience.

I've always been a fan of both Hanks and the director, Robert Zemeckis, and here they are both at their absolute best. Probably Zemeckis' most accomplished film it looks beautiful. And while much of the film is almost silent and rather tranquil there is an incredibly impressive action scene when the plane crashes into the water. You can really feel the terror of the situation.

It's certainly not in a rush, taking time to carefully set the scene, letting us feel and experience the loss, the fear, the hopelessness and the depression that this man must be going through. I'm not one much for tearing up at films but this film has two scenes that can get me going (something very rare for me) and yes one involves a volleyball!

Despite the sadness I find it quite a spiritual, life-affirming movie. We see this man who has lost absolutely everything, but through one picture of the woman he loves he is able to keep hope. He is able to keep going, to keep breathing. And even at the end when things haven't turned out as he wanted, he has the motivation to keep living.

I always thought Forrest Gump was just flat-out brilliant. Again, would rank similarly on my own list, maybe a little higher.

+rep for The Matrix too. Still need to see Cast Away.

Thanks again Skepsis. Compared to the others around it Forrest Gump is a fairly recent addition and I could definitely see a chance for it climbing up the list over time

And while I do encourage you to try it sometime I certainly don't think Cast Away is for everyone, but there's just something about it that I find incredibly appealing and engaging

I laughed so hard when I saw this. Seriously, I think Cast Away is bloody excellent. It's well-paced, well-acted and actually manages to keep you engaged despite it being mostly about a guy on an island all by himself. To turn that into a full-blown 2 hour + motion picture is an amazing achievement and while I wouldn't put it in my personal Top 100, I applaud its inclusion on yours.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well for me too, my favorite are still my best in my opinion. I don't care what anybody says about Wedding Crashers, it's comedic brilliance.