JayDee's 100 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Anything in particular that makes it better?

Again photobucket is being a tad problematic. Hopefully get it sorted in time to at least post one batch tonight

I hope people realise there is a batch of films at the end of page 3. Could be easy to overlook. (And yes this is just me trying to get as much +rep as possible! )

It's a great batch, too, with Unbreakable, The Empire Strikes Back, Monsters Inc. and Big all in it. Great stuff there.

55. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

“You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.”

Another dumb comedy (don't worry, only a couple left ) this is one of my guilty little pleasures. This is a film that revels in its stupidity. A film full of hilarious visuals and lines. Not many (if any) of them are all that clever but just damn funny!

It's a film packed with great comedy actors and performances; Ferrell, Rudd, Applegate, Willard, Carell; and each has at least a few moments or lines which provide some big laughs. I actually could just have filled this whole bit here with quotes from the film. There are so many that for one reason or another have become classic/cult quotes for people.

54. The Mummy

“It is better to be the right hand of the devil than in his path. As long as I serve him, I am immune.”

Just great, great fun! It is pretty much a B-movie which just happens to have a massive budget. It knows what it is and embraces it. Clearly influenced by Indiana Jones and with excellent special effects it is a great blockbuster.

Brendan Fraser's Rick O'Connell may be no Indy but Fraser makes him a very likeable hero. He plays him with great enthusiasm and charm. Along with Rachel Weisz and John Hannah they make for a fun trio as they go up against Arnold Vosloo's truly creepy Imhotep.

It is cheesy? Yes. Cliched in parts? Sure. Do I care? No. Just sit back, turn your brain off and have a hell of a lot of fun.

53. Pan's Labyrinth

“Hello. I am Princess Moanna, and I am not afraid of you.”

A film of great beauty and horror. This has to be amongst the darkest of all dark fairytales. While there is much to admire visually it is also a film featuring great brutality. There is one scene in particular; Captain Vidal smashing a bottle repeatedly to the face of a prisoner, that was one of the most shocking scenes I had seen in some time.

Of course what must be commented on is the incredible creations that many of the creatures are. They are truly stunning, gorgeous and horrific in equal measure. That combined with Doug Jones' performances as Faun and Pale Man truly bring these magical beings to life. Along with Jones Ivana Baquero is delightful as little Ofelia, while Sergi Lopez creates one of the most sadistic villains I have ever seen in Captain Vidal.

With so much grimness and brutality it's not an easy film to watch, you really have to be in the mood for it. But if you catch it when you're in just the right mood then it is a real treat. It is a wonderfully directed film and most definitely Guillermo del Toro's masterpiece.

52. The Karate Kid (1984)

“Get him a body bag! Yeah!”

This is one of the definitive movies from my childhood. A film that I watched so many times, and loved every single time. And I still do. Like a karate version of Rocky, it is just an uplifting, feel-good film that prompts you to pump your fist into the air.

It also features one of my favourite characters ever – Mr Miyagi. The late Pat Morita's performance is wonderful; full of wisdom, warmth and humour. His relationship and chemistry with Ralph Macchio make their scenes together a joy. And who doesn't get at least a little buzz in the final fight with Johnny, when Daniel goes into his crane stance?

It's a gloriously quotable, classic bit of 80s cinema.

51. Psycho

“A boy's best friend is his mother.”

This is one creepy, freaky movie! This film works both as a classic shock film full of suspense but also as a real study of this strange character, Norman Bates. Anthony Perkins is just incredible as Norman Bates as he switches from an eccentric but seemingly harmless guy, to being absolutely terrifying.

The film looks incredible too, full of chilling set-pieces and effective 'tricks'. That along with a terrific score really help to ramp up the tension and nerves.

I just wish I hadn't known about most of the twists and turns before seeing the film for the first time, so it could have made even more of an impact. The shower scene in particular, while impressive, would have done more for me if I hadn't already seen it countless times.

50. The King's Speech

“I am the seat of all authority because they think that when I speak, I speak for them. But I can't speak.”

I'm really not sure about this pick. I'm placing it here on the back of just one viewing and that was at the cinema where films can have more of an effect sometimes. So I may regret this pick.

I consider myself Scottish, not British. I have no time whatsoever for the Royal Family. And I usually have no interest whatsoever in English period films. And yet I adore this film.

I just found it to be so uplifting and joyous, it left me with a touch of wonder in my heart. While I have to admit to having missed a lot of the other films nominated for the Best Picure Oscar this year, for me this is certainly a very deserving winner. It is an inspiring story which makes us see the Royal Family just as normal people. And does so with a surprisingly large amount of humour. In terms of laughs it has to actually be one of the funnier films I've seen in recent times.

With the film being a two hander for much of the time, it would be nothing really without two great performances and in Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush it certainly has that. Firth is incredible, particularly when he stammers through speeches and we can see the pain in his eyes. In all of the Firth love Geoffrey Rush was a tad overlooked but he is a worthy match for Firth. His character brings much of the humour and charm to the table. And together they have a wonderful chemistry

When I went to see the film at the cinema there was a massive amount of elderly people (obviously some group or care home outing or something) and you could tell that quite a few were around when it was all happening and were tearing up quite often which I found very touching and sweet, certainly adding to my appreciation for it

49. Saving Private Ryan

“This Ryan better be worth it. He better go home and cure some disease, or invent a longer-lasting light bulb, or something.”

A powerful, moving WWII epic which may have its flaws, but are almost all wiped from your memory by the incredible opening scene where the beaches of Normandy are stormed. With that scene being so stunning I think a lot of people tend to forget about the incredible battle at the end of the film.

In between the battles we get to know this band of characters, many of them with flaws of some kind. Even Tom Hanks' Captain Miller is far from your usual hero, at times not being the leader you expect.

It feels a little more like a western; a boy's own adventure, than most war films. It is a film that is exhilarating, moving, visceral but also quite uplifting.

48. Lars and the Real Girl

“Sometimes I get so lonely I forget what day it is, and how to spell my name.”

I adore this film. I think it's charming, funny, sweet, sad, touching and just wonderful. As someone with OCD and elements of social phobia I can certainly identify with Ryan Gosling's character.

And while you really have to suspend your sense of disbelief when it comes to the idea that the whole community while go along with his delusions just to help him, it is a very sweet, endearing, Capra-esque idea.

While Ryan Gosling's performance as Lars is excellent, the real heart of the film for me comes from Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider as his sister-in-law and brother respectively. His brother is completely out of his depth, unsure how to handle the situation and worried about the embarrassment. While Emily Mortimer's character does all she can to help Lars and even begins to build a bond and feelings for the doll.

47. Iron Man / Spider-Man 2

As a huge fan of superhero films I had to include at least one. But I couldn't pick between these two. If it holds up on repeat viewings they could be joined by X-Men: The First Class

“Is it better to be feared or respected?"...I say, is it too much to ask for both?”

One of the best pure blockbusters of the decade this is a film that delivers quality will remembering the all important point of a film like this – to be fun! Too many blockbusters try to become 'dark' (particularly when it comes to sequels) or weave an intricate, complicated plot to try and seem like a film that should be taken seriously; mostly just falling flat however

This is quite a rare occurrence in action films, in that in many instances it's not actually the action scenes that are the most enjoyable. The dialogue is so sharp and delivered with such style by Robert Downey Jr. that it is those scenes that put a silly grin on your face. Downey really is on great form here, perfectly capturing the charm, arrogance and swagger of Tony Stark. He is what really lifts this film above so many others in the genre

Not too say that the action doesn't also deliver. The scenes in Iraq and when Iron Man soars through the sky against a couple of fighter jets are absolutely invigorating, some of the best superhero action put on screen

“Guy named Otto Octavius winds up with eight limbs. What are the odds?”

As a huge Spidey fanboy one of the movies had to be on here and it's this one. It gets the tone just right. The first was a little goofy at times (mostly the Green Goblin's costume) while the 3rd tried to be too dark and layered but ended up a bit cluttered. This just captures the tone of the comics best.

Alfred Molina is excellent here, his turn as Doc Ock making the villain threatening while also making us still feel sympathy for this monstrous character. And some impressive effects help to realise the character on the screen.

The film also has some of the most humorous moments of the trilogy, in particular the elevator scene. So while Kirsten Dunst may still be a touch annoying this is the most entertaining and enthralling of the series.

46. Beverly Hills Cop

“Disturbing the peace? I was thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?”

One of the 80s most iconic films and one of the funniest I've ever seen. The sequels (as with Lethal Weapon) became lighter and dafter to attract larger audiences, but the first film has a real edge to it, featuring some quite violent action.

These days it's hard to imagine just how funny Eddie Murphy used to be. The Norbit's, Meet Dave's and Pluto Nash's have made him into a bit of a joke, making his films something to fear than crave. But back in the 80s he was incredible. He was hilarious; full of raw energy, a real swagger and the sharpest of tongues.

The plot is nothing special, very standard actually, but it doesn't matter. The film is just a chance for Eddie Murphy to show off his incredible comedic talents, and he delivers big time. And with great support from Judge Reinhold and John Ashton they make for a great team.

Thanks Skepsis.

Time has got away from me tonight so just one group today. Back tomorrow

I imagine interest in my list seems to be waning. Hopefully I can bring you all back. First up I have my last doubler. This is one (along with The Mask and Austin Powers) that I was forced into as I didn't have enough spots.

45. Finding Nemo / Beauty and the Beast

“Fish are friends, not food.”

A visually gorgeous and charming film. Just another example of the genius that is Pixar. The colour and detail of the underwater scenes is just wonderful.

It is the closest Pixar have come to matching Toy Story in terms of creating such a large cast of endearing and entertaining characters. From the surfer dude sea turtles to the vegetarian sharks, cleanliness-obsessed shrimp to the hungry, single-minded seagulls it really is just a raft of loveable and memorable characters.

The star of the film however is definitely Ellen Degeneres as the adorably forgetful Dory, who infuriates and entertains in equal measure.

“It's not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting "ideas"... And "thinking."

This is the only classically animated film (not including CGI entries Up and Toy Story 3) ever to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. And while I don't think it should be alone in that category, it was a film certainly worthy of it.

The film is an absolute treat for both the eyes and ears. It looks incredible with some of the best animation that Disney ever produced, and also has some of the best songs of any Disney film ever. Written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman they are full of so much heart, wit and humour, and just will you to sing along.

While the film has its moments of drama and romance it is also wildly funny. With a whole host of engaging characters from the castle being joined by Gaston and his sidekick LeFou, there is certainly never a lack of laughs.

44. The Breakfast Club

“We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.”

John Hughes was an 80s icon and a bit of a genius. And for me this is his absolute best film. It's a film that just perfectly captures the feelings and emotions of just about everyone who was ever a teenager at school. The friends, the pain, the awkwardness, the peer pressure.

Throwing all the classic school stereotypes together; jock, geek, princess, bad boy, weirdo; it then proceeds to show how similar they all are. How they all have the same fears, ambitions and worries. It is one of the most dialogue heavy films I've seen but is never boring. It is a wonderfully written piece.

The performances are excellent, and .t's just sad that for so many of the actors involved this was their high point. They were never better than this.

“Don't you forget about me.”? No way. There's no chance of forgetting such a fantastic film

43. Field of Dreams

“If you build it, he will come.”

This is a curious film. It's hard to say why I love it so much, it just has such a charm to it. Very American. Very Frank Capra. It's a moving tale of believing and following your dreams, and also an endearing and whimsical fantasy about that most American of sports – baseball.

The film also has a clutch of great performances. Costner in classic all-American form supported by excellent turns from Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster. It really is a magical little fable. It feels very old fashioned, and I mean that in the best possible way.

It's a film that just makes you feel that little bit happier than you did before watching it. And as for the quote I used, well what else was I going to put for this film?

42. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

“You don't get it do you? This isn't 'good cop, bad cop.' This is fag and New Yorker. You're in a lot of trouble.”

One of the most underrated films of the 00s, and certainly one of my favourites. A dark, gritty noir-comedy it is full of action, laughs and a decent detective story. And it doesn't take itself dreadfully seriously; a lot of the time it has tongue placed firmly in cheek while giving a knowing little wink to the audience.

The humour is a bit of a mix. From the very dark and offbeat to the slapstick I think it's a very funny film. Shane Black's script is a cracker, full of wit and invention. It also has one of my favourite ever comedy scenes – the russian roulette scene.

Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer make for a great double act, their chemistry and interplay the reason for so much of the film's enjoyment. It was the best either actor had been in years. It helped set Downey on the road to his eventual comeback as a superstar. It's just a shame that Kilmer didn't follow suit.

Still a bit of a cult gem, hopefully one day it grows to be a much wider appreciated film.

41. Ghost

“I'm Henry the 8th I am. Henry the 8th I am I am. I got married to the widow next door. She's been married seven times before.”

I put off seeing this film for a long, long time. I thought it was going to be just a slushy, nauseating romance. And while you could argue that it is, for me it has so much more going for it. It was darker than I expected, more intriguing and thrilling than I expected, funnier than I expected and just downright more entertaining than I expected.

Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg are on top form here and it's those two which really give this film its spark and its magic. Whoopi especially is fantastic as the fraudulent psychic who all of a sudden really can communicate with the dead, full of energy and laughs; for me she has never been better. And though he may not be on screen for long Vincent Schiavelli is able to make a huge impact as the Subway Ghost.

And yes I know I may very well receive a fair bit of grief for this pick. But what can I say, I'm just a big softy at heart I guess.

Nebbit - Nice to see you're a fan of KKBB as well. And yeah you should definitely try and catch it sometime Ludinator.

HK - I know! I know! I knew I'd be called out on it and you were top of my list of suspects! What can I say? There's just something about it that worked for me. Although looking at it now it does seem a bit too high. Go on give me some +rep anyway! What can I do to make it up to you?

Not had time today to put up the next group unfortunately. Back tomorrow

Sorry, JD. You posted Satan (you even posted a picture of her! She will never die if people keep doing this). However, while The Breakfast Club and Field Of Dreams are both great, there's not enough films in that post that I love to dish out the rep. Also, with me, double posts are cheating.

Nevermind though. I'm hoping I'll like the next set better.

Haiz.. so you're doing it for the rep ...
Not at all. If I was do you really think I'd put in films like Ghost, Over the Top, Bird on a Wire, 50 First Dates etc which were just as likely to grab me some negative rep than positive? I just like having a little fun with HK.

Sorry, JD. You posted Satan (you even posted a picture of her! She will never die if people keep doing this). However, while The Breakfast Club and Field Of Dreams are both great, there's not enough films in that post that I love to dish out the rep. Also, with me, double posts are cheating.

Nevermind though. I'm hoping I'll like the next set better.
You believe Whoopi Goldberg to be Satan?!! What about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Thought that might be your kind of film. And what do you mean about double posts?

Hopefully. I'll give you a little preview - 2 80s classics, an iconic, critically acclaimed 90s film and two from the 00s; a massive blockbuster and a really dumb comedy. Will hopefully find a bit of time later

40. Pulp Fiction

“Aw man, I shot Marvin in the face.”

Fantastically funny black comedy/thriller. For me definitely Tarantino's best and I don't feel he's really come close to matching it. It features a clutch of excellent performances from the cast; Samuel L Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel to name just a few.

With a great cast of characters and performances, classic scenes and an almost endlessly quotable script it is definitely one of the best films the 90s had to offer. It includes perhaps my favourite bit of dark comedy ever – the scene referenced in the above quote.

It is an exhilarating film full of raw energy and creativity. I haven't actually seen it for quite a few years. If I'd seen it more recently would probably be quite a bit higher

39. Gremlins

“Check all the closets and cupboards. Look under all the beds. Cause you never can tell. There just might be a gremlin in your house.”

Joe Dante is one of my favourite directors, a man responsible for a number of fantastical, offbeat little gems. This however has to be his absolute stand-out.

Much of the humour is of the dark and wicked variety (just how I like it ) with a lot of satirical elements to be found. It is the type of movie that the 80s were so good at; films that mixed humour and fantasy with some genuine scares. The type that J.J. Abrams seems to be trying to revive with Super 8.

The gremlins themselves are of course the stars here, so much so that they, and Mogwai in particular, would become pop culture icons and remain so to this day. They are wonderful creations.

38. Zoolander

“At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too,
we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking.”

I could pretty much take what I wrote about Anchorman and just copy it word from word. It's another dumb, ridiculous comedy which I just love. Full of over the top characters, bizarre moments and loads of quotable lines.

Plot wise it is pretty insane. But the reason it all works is due to some wonderful performances by the cast who just embrace the craziness of it all. Stiller is very sweet as the naïve and clueless Derek Zoolander, Owen Wilson wonderful as his nemesis Hansel and Will Ferrell as the gloriously surreal Mugata. Throw in some excellent cameos from the likes of Jon Voight and particularly David Duchovny and it is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Oh and I honestly believe that the walk-off scene was one of the classic scenes of 00s cinema. Brilliant.

37. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

“This is the day that you will always remember as the day that you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow.”

Forget about the sequels. No matter how convoluted the plots would become, how dull the romance between Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley's characters would get, it doesn't change the fact that this is one of the finest pure blockbusters out there. While the sequels seemed to forget their main purpose, this knows exactly what it is – to be fun!

On paper this really shouldn't work. An old genre which hadn't been popular for years and based upon a theme park ride. But against the odds it works. And while Johnny Depp's performance is a large part of it, it would be unfair to say it's the only thing this film has going for it. It has a sharp script, thrilling set-pieces, wonderful sets and effects and a cast of actors who all seem to be having a great time here.

However what lifts this to a level of greatness is Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow. It's a wonderful, hilarious creation. You never know what he's going to do, and Jack himself doesn't seem too sure either. And he also has one of the great character entrances ever, as he is able to step off his ship just as it sinks.

36. Lethal Weapon

“I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.”

Along with Beverly Hills Cop this is a genre-defining 80s classic. While HoneyKid has Dawn of the Dead as a comfort film this would be one of mine. A film that I loved as a kid and still love today. As a kid I probably loved it more for being one of the first films I'd seen to feature violence and swearing rather than for its quality.

This is certainly the darkest and edgiest of the series with Mel Gibson excellent as the unhinged Martin Riggs. Together with Danny Glover they create one of the definitive buddy pairings. It's a film full of action and stunts which cracks along at a great pace, with a good number of big laughs thrown in.

Special mention for all of the Lethal Weapon films as I love the whole series, right from this gritty first one through to the later more comedic efforts with Joe Pesci and Chris Rock.

I'm a bit ashamed to say I only got round to finally watching Pulp Fiction last night, believe it or not. Man have I been missing out this whole time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kill Bill: Vol 1 was my previous favourite Tarantino, but PF overtakes it by a big margin.

Well looking at the percentages of films you've seen on the movie lists I'm guessing you perhaps have the ignorance of youth you can blame that on!

Anyway nice to hear you saw and enjoyed it.

Maybe the lack of time I've had too. But yeah. I'm sure I'll have the lists full and be baffled by youngsters who haven't seen "The Social Network" in no time.