The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Time to be chastised... I don't like Bruce Lee's movies. I like his philosophies and Jeet Kun Do and I love the kind of man he was... but I always found his films boring.

I had Superman The Movie in 11th place though.

Nice! I had Enter the Dragon right around there--18th, to be specific. The staging of some of the fights--particularly the last one--is really tremendous. And part of the appeal is that it's kind of ridiculous that the movie manages to be entertaining at all. But Lee was utterly magnetic. My Dad adored him as a kid, and a little of that rubbed off on me growing up. I remember seeing parts of Enter the Dragon and finding it so mysterious and fascinating.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." -- Dave Berry

McCabe & Mrs. Miller will 100% make it. With mine, my brothers, Cobpyth, Hitchfan, Tyler (possibly), Holden (possibly) and some other votes, there is no chance it won't make it.

Anyway:

Eraserhead

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Enter The Dragon

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You had it in your top 10 then, I assume? Well, I'm quite sure at least a few others also had it on their list, besides me and you. It must have been a really close call.

There is still a VERY small chance (like 0,01%) that one of these films didn't make it:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Have you ever heard anyone call this one of their absolute favorite ('70s) films around here? I sure haven't. People like it (including me), but maybe this Spielberg sci-fi flick somehow failed to make this list, because it hasn't enough passionate MoFo fans. Highly unlikely, though.

I've marked the two films I myself am not yet 100% sure about in red.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is one of my all-time favorite movies, (of any decade), and I'll be very upset if didn't at least make the list.

From what I understand, it's Fellini's least Fellinian movie. Does anybody use the term "Fellinian"?
Felliniesque.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-23-12-46-51-1.png
Views:	533
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	16777  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For all you (fools ) that haven't been following my new top 100 thread, Eraserhead was the last film I posted.

The first David Lynch film to appear on my list, and everyone knows that it won't be his last. One of his purest films and a piece of work that feels highly personal with many comparisons to be made with fear of fatherhood and the difficulties of life in general. Shot in black and white, the imagery is at times minimalist and helps build up great atmosphere, with many genuinely creepy scenes.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm so glad to see that Superman showed up on the list. I was trying to hold out hope for it making the list, but I was beginning to lose faith. It was #2 on my list. Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman were both fantastic in the movie, and while it's a more light-hearted movie than most of the current superhero movies, it was the beginning of the superhero movie craze.

I've never seen Enter the Dragon.

The Conversation - This film probably has too many fans, but there's still a really slight chance.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Again, highly unlikely because Life of Brian did pretty well, but again, life can be weird. Almost as weird as this film.

Barry Lyndon - I would be really surprised, but one never knows for sure. It's a Kubrick film, though, so I don't see this one not making it.
I'm pretty sure these will make it too. Specially The Conversation which a a really great film

Enter The Dragon - fantastic ! deserves to be so high, if not higher. Bruce Lee introduced me to martial arts films as he did most people of that era . We didn't have the access to Asian films back then like we do now, and I was entranced. I didn't have Enter the Dragon on my list but I had Fist of Fury at my 8 and Way of the Dragon at no.24 as they were the very first martial arts films I ever saw . They were on a double bill in 1974. I saw them on a date with a pimply youth who didn't last the course, but Bruce Lee did and he sparked the interest in Asian films which has lasted all these years.

Dog Day Afternoon was my #16. watched it for the list and i was surprised by how much i liked it considering i don't care for Serpico. Pacino is fantastic.

i haven't seen Harold & Maude since i was a kid and i liked it at the time. not sure what i would think of it now, but i would probably still like it.

i watched Eraserhead shortly before submitting my list. at the very least it's a masterpiece of sound and film style, but it didn't come close to making my list.

haven't seen the last three.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller will 100% make it. With mine, my brothers, Cobpyth, Hitchfan, Tyler (possibly), Holden (possibly) and some other votes, there is no chance it won't make it.
Anyone else?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, here's my list with the ones that have actually made it so far. (Strangely, it's more than I would have thought.)

2. Blazing Saddles (#33)
4. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (#47)
10. Annie Hall (#30)
11. All That Jazz (#96)
12. The Sting (#57)
13. American Graffiti (#42)
20. Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm frozen at 6 from my list. I still expect a total of 15. Enter the Dragon is a lot of fun, especially if you don't take it so seriously because it obviously doesn't. It's basically a spy movie set at a martial arts tournament, so if you haven't seen it, you can think of it as a James Bond flick where Bruce Lee is Bond. He enters a drug lord's fortress as a contestant to try to bust up the lord and to get revenge for his sister's death, and he finds two American allies who have their own agendas. It's awesome and hokey at the same time, with a good Lalo Schifrin score, but the highlights are the well-choreographed fight scenes as you might expect. If you've never seen Bruce Lee in action before, here's some of what you've missed:

Superman was the big fantasy followup to Star Wars, and it was hokey too as well as overlong, but much of it was great. Christopher Reeve was charismatic and convincing as Clark Kent/Superman and played him with the right touch of seriousness and knowingness. He had tremendous chemistry with Margot Kidder (Lois Lane), and he worked well opposite Gene Hackman's villainous Lex Luthor. Since it covered the character's origins, Marlon Brando was also around as his father to lend gravitas (or pomposity, depending on how you feel about his interpretation) to the film. My favorite part was in the middle when Superman went into action to save several people (and a cat), although he had a problem changing into his cape in those new-fangled, open-air Metropolis pay phones. Then he had time for a visit to Lois' impossibly-upscale apartment and a little flight around the town. Some of the physical effects were a tad unfortunate, but they're still more charming than $50 million worth of CGI. Since I always stayed for the credits, I can add it had to have had the longest ones ever up to that time.

Some good stuff.