Alex Cox

Tools    

I don't see much of anything on this guy and he's been blacklisted from Hollywood since his film "Walker" with Ed harris. Since then he's made some very strange and interesting films. This thread can be for anything Alex Cox related.

Welcome to the human race...
As of writing, I've seen four of his films. In approximate chronological/watched/ranked order...

Repo Man is, quite simply, one of my favourite movies of all-time. It's pure 1980s cult weirdness, a scrappy blend of pulp sci-fi, Reagan-era satire, and hardcore punk. Far from perfect, but I love it.

Sid and Nancy is alright, I suppose. I've seen it a couple of times now but with the occasional spot of surrealism and artistic licence it just comes across as a rather stock music biopic to me.

Straight to Hell and Walker both made a "bottom 100" list I made many years ago for no other reason that I thought they were severe disappointments compared to Repo Man, but I've naturally been meaning to revisit them and see if they hold up better now.

I'm definitely interested in checking out more of his work but it seems quite hard to come by so I haven't bothered.

I've seen the films you've mentioned, as well as Repo Chick and Death and the Compass (some amazing stuff in there, funny and badly written).

I aim to see Searchers 2.0 and revisit his post Repo Man stuff.

Why was he blacklisted?

I think Repo Man is great, unfortunately haven't seen his others. I have that book he wrote. But I haven't read it.

Another fan of Repo Man that hasn't explored the rest of his filmography yet. Highway Patrolman, Walker, and Straight to Hell look appealing. I'm on the lookout for em now.

For film fans of a certain vintage in the UK, Cox is probably best known as the presenter of Moviedrome. An excellent series which introduced us (well, me) to quite a wonderful world of weirdness and, back before the internet and having almost anything and everything available in an instant, this programme was a way of learning about (and seeing) films I'd have otherwise been unaware of. Often I didn't even watch the film, just the introduction.

I think I've seen Highway Patrolman, but I might be confusing it with Electra Glide In Blue, which I remember being shown on Moviedrome. I remember people making a comparison when it was released because of the look and the main character.

Death and the Compass is a movie I wish was released on blu ray. Maybe someone like Vinegar Syndrome or MVD will pick it up. I know the film itself is mostly nonsense but I'd rather pick through the trash without a magnifying glass.