Joel's Experimentals

Tools    

Yeah I definitely am not sure I've stopped for good. I am currently burnt out, but who knows if I'll regain that passion or not.

Some cool stuff there. I really like the combination with lighting experiments. This inspires me. I've always thought about doing experiments like these a la Nine Inch Nails covers.

Your style is still distinctive in other mediums. I feel like you could print a phone book and I'd know it was you.

Some cool stuff there. I really like the combination with lighting experiments. This inspires me. I've always thought about doing experiments like these a la Nine Inch Nails covers.

Your style is still distinctive in other mediums. I feel like you could print a phone book and I'd know it was you.
I came up with the idea for mini flashlights about a year ago for lighting scenes mobile. I bought a lot of lights and batteries, cheap. Since then they've been invalubale for thinking with. They light my drawings/paintings, can be incorporated into a piece if desired, and sometimes I just hold two of them in my hand, adjust the diffusion zoom collr on them and highlight areas of a reference photo so I can concentrate on the focal points of what I want to adapt into a painting. All sorts of tricks they can be used for so far. Lots of fun, and I feel smart! haha!
Thanks again, man, I appreciate the feedback!

I wanna see some of your stuff!

I came up with the idea for mini flashlights about a year ago for lighting scenes mobile. I bought a lot of lights and batteries, cheap. Since then they've been invalubale for thinking with. They light my drawings/paintings, can be incorporated into a piece if desired, and sometimes I just hold two of them in my hand, adjust the diffusion zoom collr on them and highlight areas of a reference photo so I can concentrate on the focal points of what I want to adapt into a painting. All sorts of tricks they can be used for so far. Lots of fun, and I feel smart! haha!
Thanks again, man, I appreciate the feedback!

I wanna see some of your stuff!
Cinematography might be the thread that ties your stuff together. And doing it on the cheap is encouraging. I like the innovative workarounds, like that Monotron video you did singing into a phone (I think I noticed that mini-flashlight effect there too). I have some odd colored lightbulbs and a decent camera lying around. I’ll figure something out. I smart to.

So do I! I just have to make it first. Here are some older drawings I did though. A little reluctant to share them. :/ I haven’t picked up a pencil in… whew, a couple of years I think. I never practiced, so they’re sloppy, but my imagination is there. I’m already jotting down still life ideas. I’d like to post some art and music in a thread eventually, but I’m neurotic as hell, so it’ll take a while before anything’s ready.

@re93animator

yo, those drawings are really good, are you kidding?!

Most famous painters couldn;t even draw close to that good, they just did some charcoal sketch work and let the color values take care of all the hard lines.

You gotta stop being so hard on yourself. I'm the same way - neurotic. But once I started slapping things around and getting in there, I find that even if I fail, my work gets progressively better, even though I do a lot of wandering as far as style goes. I bet if either one of us stuck with one rendering, and worked it up til it was done, it'd be damn done and lookin good!

@re93animator

yo, those drawings are really good, are you kidding?!

Most famous painters couldn;t even draw close to that good, they just did some charcoal sketch work and let the color values take care of all the hard lines.

You gotta stop being so hard on yourself. I'm the same way - neurotic. But once I started slapping things around and getting in there, I find that even if I fail, my work gets progressively better, even though I do a lot of wandering as far as style goes. I bet if either one of us stuck with one rendering, and worked it up til it was done, it'd be damn done and lookin good!
Thanks for that. I know I’m my own worst critic. In a way it’s probably a vulnerability shield, but it’s also just very hard for me to gauge quality. Flaws will always catch the most focus, but neuroticism likes that, and I do prefer that to carelessness. That doesn’t curb my workflow or hinder fulfillment; it just makes me constantly struggle to get better as you say.

I dig the sweater vid too. Good choice of music, better choice of sweaters.

Flaws will always catch the most focus, but neuroticism likes that, and I do prefer that to carelessness. That doesn’t curb my workflow or hinder fulfillment; it just makes me constantly struggle to get better as you say.

Ihear you. I'm to the point now where I feel like I need to know everything about mixing the palate, what ratio of oil to pigment to use, the exact mathematical proportions to employ, the correct kind of charcoal to sketch with..like..everything to a T - before I even try again. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

I guess I just don't want to waste a bunch of time ruining a canvas if I'm going to commit a lot of time to a real-deal piece.

I'd like to know what my options are, and to minimize my mess so it's not all sloppy impasto nonsense.

My friend says I want to play an orchestra before I learn the piano, and he's right but - I don't know. There's something to be said about preparation and refinement. My issue is I'm scared to waste paper and materials on learning. I have a real problem, and it's moronic.

This is a couple of months old. I didn't really put it too much out there because it was very painful to edit. I had mostly bad shots due to lack of preparation/knowledge. So a lot of re-photographing and makeshift optical "printing" was used to dirty it up. The music is me, adapted from 1981 Maurice Binder sequence scored by Bill Wyman..