Trash Talk

Tools    

What time is it there? I think it's time you pick that Bass and play to your favorite movie's Soundtrack.
That's actually a good idea. It would allow actual creativity, rather than just copying an already existing bass line. Writing on the fly alongside some orchestral score, or synthesized score, etc. Good idea!

Then the trick would be to record it to post on here. That would be awesome! It'd definitely doable with some basic recording software. Heck, even an iphone strategically placed.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
That's actually a good idea. It would allow actual creativity, rather than just copying an already existing bass line. Writing on the fly alongside some orchestral score, or synthesized score, etc. Good idea!

Then the trick would be to record it to post on here. That would be awesome! It'd definitely doable with some basic recording software. Heck, even an iphone strategically placed.
do you have a looper pedal? Such as this one?

Loopers help a lot with creativity and your own timing.

do you have a looper pedal? Such as this one?

Loopers help a lot with creativity and your own timing.
I used to have the exact pedal except a Boss Loop Station. I need one again, though, I'd like the one from EHX that allows stereo panning of different tracks

I used to have the exact pedal except a Boss Loop Station. I need one again, though, I'd like the one from EHX that allows stereo panning of different tracks
I wouldn't recommend it. To be fair I wouldn't recommend EHX products as a whole. They have very good stuff, but their build quality is ghastly.

I had a Deluxe Big Muff Pi that crapped on me after two months, and I am very gentle with my stuff.

It seems there are a lot of complaints on line regarding EHX's build quality [recently their Soul Food breaking to pieces. I don't have experience with it, but I know some people who do].

I have the Ditto x 2 but am seriously considering the x4 because of the dual channel functionality.

Also the Beat Buddy for drum tracks.

I wouldn't recommend it. To be fair I wouldn't recommend EHX products as a whole. They have very good stuff, but their build quality is ghastly.
Really? Hm. I've owned the Holy Stain, Holy Grail, 2ube, Freeze and Cathedral and all of those pedals are performing at peak for me, for the last 8 yrs or so. I have looked into some other boutique pedals but I find a lot of them are just slight variations on your basic flange, phaser, chorus, distortion, overdrive, etc.

I feel EHX just comes out with these pedals that are light years ahead with innovation like I've never heard a better reverb than a Holy Grail. I've never had my bass more meaty and rancid than with a 2ube through a marhsall plexi head. The freeze pedal by EHX..oh man, forget about it. It's like being able to have a nice canvas constantly in back of your penmanship and with the latch mode on/off, you can change gears/chords pretty seamlessly, esp if using a decent reverb.

But I'm ranting. I guess I'm a big fan of Electro Harmonix. Also, it's all I can afford!

EDIT: Actually, that's right..I had a Pi for bass as well..I didn't keep it for very long because I had lost my job so I sold it. Probably had it for a few months. No issues but...sorry to hear your experience with the muff.

Really? Hm. I've owned the Holy Stain, Holy Grail, 2ube, Freeze and Cathedral and all of those pedals are performing at peak for me, for the last 8 yrs or so. I have looked into some other boutique pedals but I find a lot of them are just slight variations on your basic flange, phaser, chorus, distortion, overdrive, etc.

I feel EHX just comes out with these pedals that are light years ahead with innovation like I've never heard a better reverb than a Holy Grail. I've never had my bass more meaty and rancid than with a 2ube through a marhsall plexi head. The freeze pedal by EHX..oh man, forget about it. It's like being able to have a nice canvas constantly in back of your penmanship and with the latch mode on/off, you can change gears/chords pretty seamlessly, esp if using a decent reverb.

But I'm ranting. I guess I'm a big fan of Electro Harmonix. Also, it's all I can afford!

EDIT: Actually, that's right..I had a Pi for bass as well..I didn't keep it for very long because I had lost my job so I sold it. Probably had it for a few months. No issues but...sorry to hear your experience with the muff.
they do have great stuff. I'm a fan myself, but the quality of build is no longer the same. The older stuff seems to be more reliable, but at a point it dropped fast.

If I were to be assured their quality was top notch I would fill my pedal board with only their stuff, but as it is... yuck.

If you like the Freeze, the SuperEgo is the same but with some tasty extras, such as Glissando [there is also a low cost company that have 2 variations on the freeze, you may enjoy Z-Cat [their Hold-Delay-Chorus and the Reverb-Hold]

I've been VERY tempted to get their SuperEgom, Mel9, Hog2, Neo Clone, Neo Stone and Deluxe Memory Man [as well as a new Deluxe Big Muff Pi - damn, I loved that pedal]... but, as I said, I don't trust their build quality.

And you are absolutely right, there is no other affordable pedal company out there that is able to offer so many innovative pedals without having to sell a lung and your own mother.

[/url]I've been VERY tempted to get their SuperEgom, Mel9, Hog2, Neo Clone, Neo Stone and Deluxe Memory Man [as well as a new Deluxe Big Muff Pi - damn, I loved that pedal]... but, as I said, I don't trust their build quality.

And you are absolutely right, there is no other affordable pedal company out there that is able to offer so many innovative pedals without having to sell a lung and your own mother.

It's funny, talking about all this gear has me questioning why I do music in the first place again. It used to be a lot of fun to explore, I could care less to play it out live since I could record my own album. But, these days I just don't care to ever play out live again. I'd rather make the music, film it being performed or film an abstract story alongside it, and release that. With the internet and everything mashing into one another, there is nothing "special" about a musician anymore unless it's beyond human, understated folk songwriting that has political intents, or just nice packaging for the teens. I guess nothing has changed except now everyone at a show is a portable camera and their own celebrity to themselves. So..now what is the motivation if the curiosity of exploring fresh music has dwindled?

I could write another song, but why would I? Who am I gonna show? What, put it on Facebook? Nah...FB don't give a f#ck.

It's funny, talking about all this gear has me questioning why I do music in the first place again. It used to be a lot of fun to explore, I could care less to play it out live since I could record my own album. But, these days I just don't care to ever play out live again. I'd rather make the music, film it being performed or film an abstract story alongside it, and release that. With the internet and everything mashing into one another, there is nothing "special" about a musician anymore unless it's beyond human, understated folk songwriting that has political intents, or just nice packaging for the teens. I guess nothing has changed except now everyone at a show is a portable camera and their own celebrity to themselves. So..now what is the motivation if the curiosity of exploring fresh music has dwindled?

I could write another song, but why would I? Who am I gonna show? What, put it on Facebook? Nah...FB don't give a f#ck.
You are hitting the nail in the head with your observations.

If you look carefully you'll see a lot of people doing their thing independently of bands or Record Companies. People just post their stuff on Youtube and seem to feel happy with it.

I also believe that is the most eminent future for music as well. Why bother with a 3rd party meddling in your creative process if you can do it in your own bedroom with the right tools and just post it on the internet for others to hear/see it [and make some money along the the way]? Take Moby as an example.

I never really cared about being in bands [though I did play with a couple of them for a very short while] and it's very troublesome if the members are not of the same mind set.

Instead of wasting money for an hour on some crappy rehearsal studio, I rather play with another individual in my home [or his/hers] and exchange ideas that way.

The most fun I ever had on my life as someone who plays an instrument was with a friend of mine [who moved abroad]. We used to go to his place, sit in silence, pick our guitars and each one would play something totally different from the other. In the end, and without any spoken word, our playing would intertwine to form one cohesive idea.
We did some rather fun stuff that way. It's also great to learn the others' own inclinations and it's always fun to try and figure out what the other is trying to do next and try to foresee it with your own playing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on fruitless rehearsals, I could have bought a ton of gear. lol.

You are hitting the nail in the head with your observations.

If you look carefully you'll see a lot of people doing their thing independently of bands or Record Companies. People just post their stuff on Youtube and seem to feel happy with it.

I also believe that is the most eminent future for music as well. Why bother with a 3rd party meddling in your creative process if you can do it in your own bedroom with the right tools and just post it on the internet for others to hear/see it [and make some money along the the way]? Take Moby as an example.

I never really cared about being in bands [though I did play with a couple of them for a very short while] and it's very troublesome if the members are not of the same mind set.

Instead of wasting money for an hour on some crappy rehearsal studio, I rather play with another individual in my home [or his/hers] and exchange ideas that way.

The most fun I ever had on my life as someone who plays an instrument was with a friend of mine [who moved abroad]. We used to go to his place, sit in silence, pick our guitars and each one would play something totally different from the other. In the end, and without any spoken word, our playing would intertwine to form one cohesive idea.
We did some rather fun stuff that way. It's also great to learn the others' own inclinations and it's always fun to try and figure out what the other is trying to do next and try to foresee it with your own playing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on fruitless rehearsals, I could have bought a ton of gear. lol.
That reminds me of my friend. We used to be able to do just that: predict each other's moves, and we always output interesting results. Unfortunately we've grown apart. We still grab breakfast but our musical sensibilities..well, to be honest I'm not even sure I'm correct in saying that. Just haven't wanted to jam. Wish he still played drums. Too many chiefs sometimes when you get 2 multi instrumentalist songwriters in the room.

I'm considering going to keyboards to stay focused. Just choose some pretty chords or what not and groove out on those, create some space, then maybe add some acoustic guitar, bass and some vocals that are indistinguishable,

Keep things simple and moving along.

As I sit at a computer and not make music for hours at a time...

That reminds me of my friend. We used to be able to do just that: predict each other's moves, and we always output interesting results. Unfortunately we've grown apart. We still grab breakfast but our musical sensibilities..well, to be honest I'm not even sure I'm correct in saying that. Just haven't wanted to jam. Wish he still played drums. Too many chiefs sometimes when you get 2 multi instrumentalist songwriters in the room.

I'm considering going to keyboards to stay focused. Just choose some pretty chords or what not and groove out on those, create some space, then maybe add some acoustic guitar, bass and some vocals that are indistinguishable,

Keep things simple and moving along.

As I sit at a computer and not make music for hours at a time...
Yeah I totally know what you mean.

The simple approach is many times the best approach. Just let the motif develop by itself. Fun stuff.

Intellect, razor sharp intellect can only take you so far. I believe one must surrender to a soft brained disposition to truly be at home anywhere. A mind too tuned can eat itself up. While keeping your wits about you I choose to play the part of my inherent fool.

Movies I plan to get on Blu Ray/or "Blu Ray Wish List

A Master Builder
My Dinner with Andre
What Happened Was...
The Quiet Earth
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
The Rosary Murders
Star Slammer: The Escape
Killer Klowns from Outer Space -

Waiting for Guffman
Critters
Whitewash (2013-Thomas Hayden Church)
Absolution
Young Warriors
Taking Care of Business
Real Men
Light Years (or Ghandahar)
Runaway
A Breed Apart
Treasure of the Four Crowns

to update....

I loathe CGI. I know cgi can furnish fluidity and nuance, often boasting such an impressive arsenal of emotion and detail modeled after real life material but I cannot stomach the pompous gesture. Never have, and I'm quite certain, I never will. It's just so retarded.

I hate how cgi tries to impress with its oh-so-clever ways of displaying these intricasies..but...it's lie..a cartoon, man.

No thanks. Get it with a camera or don't knock on my door. Hate that shlt. I hate it so much that if I were to physically have an opportunity to piss on CGI, I'd end up just shltting on it, instead. Poooooooop!!! There ya go.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Didn't you use to have a Brando avatar?