Recommendations: Animated Films

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off

Here is Don Hertzfeldt's Everything Will Be OK, I won't be voting for this particular short because it's included in It's Such a Beautiful Day. It's Such a Beautiful Day is a compilation of a trilogy starting with Everything Will Be OK, but it had it's own theatrical release so it counts. It's Such a Beautiful Day is required viewing.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
May I recommend Wrinkles (2011)? It's a truly beautiful, human, honest work. Depressing yet oddly uplifting at times. The film documents life inside an elder care facility. Having a grandma who currently suffers from Alzheimer's disease, it hit close to home.

Is this short that was initially recommended by TokeZa in a short tournament eligible?

It's classed as animated on IMDB but I'm not sure, it's archive footage mashed together.

I have 90 animated films on my watchlist now. Lots of those aren't must see films, so I won't check all of them out for this list, but I'm definitely planning on seeing at least 30 or 40 of them.

I've seen 142 animed feature films so far, according to my IMDb.

I have 90 animated films on my watchlist now. Lots of those aren't must see films, so I won't check all of them out for this list, but I'm definitely planning on seeing at least 30 or 40 of them.
I doubt there will be many changes to my preliminary list, since all have been favorites for at least a couple of years, but I will be watching some animated films for the list as well.

So far, I plan to watch:

A Town Called Panic
$9.99
Persepolis
Waltz With Bashir

I'm sure that list will grow.

I doubt there will be many changes to my preliminary list, since all have been favorites for at least a couple of years, but I will be watching some animated films for the list as well.
Yeah, I also doubt if more than 1 or 2 new films are going ot be able to reach my top 25 films, because I feel I already have a very strong top 25.

I do like the medium quite a lot though, so I don't mind exploring it a little deeper.

all have been favorites for at least a couple of years
Ha! I just realized that this statement is actually wrong. For some reason I had release dates in my head when I said that, but actually one of them I first watched earlier this year and fell instantly in love with it.

Perhaps I'll strike gold and find another like that one.

GREAT
Rango
The Wrong Trousers
Duck Amuck
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters, Inc.
Tale of Tales
My Neighbor Totoro
Chicken Run
Team America: World Police (probably not eligible)
Fantastic Planet
Fantasia
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Princess Mononoke
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (if eligible)
The Iron Giant
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Alice In Wonderland
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Frankenweenie
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
Dimensions of Dialogue
Outer Space (if eligible)
VERY GOOD
Spirited Away
The Simpsons Movie
WALL·E
Toy Story 2
Up
Vincent
King-Size Canary
A Close Shave
A Grand Day Out
Presto
Paperman
Harvie Krumpet
The Lego Movie
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
How to Train Your Dragon
Ratatouille
Toy Story 3
Tarzan
Peter Pan
Mary and Max
Kung Fu Panda 2
A Matter of Loath and Death
Everything Will Be Ok
Out of these, I hope the none underlined ones don't make it as they are mainly average:

GOOD
Tangled
Brave
Toy Story
Kung Fu Panda
Geri's Game
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
Pinocchio
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast

Monsters University
Howl's Moving Castle
Happy Feet
Sleeping Beauty
The Princess and the Frog
Grave of the Fireflies (should maybe rewatch)

ParaNorman
Bolt
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
Robin Hood
Dumbo
The Fox and the Hound
Fresh Guacamole
Western Spaghetti
The Critic
The Lion King
The Emperor's New Groove
DECENT
The Lady and the Tramp
Winnie the Pooh
Arthur Christmas
Porco Rosso
Frozen
Wreck-It Ralph
Despicable Me
Cars
Cars 2
Madagascar
Shrek
Lilo & Stitch
A Bug's Life
Ice Age
Treasure Planet
The Aristocats
Bambi Meets Godzilla (funny, difficult to rate)
NOT WORTH WATCHING
Garfield
The Little Mermaid
Hercules
Despicable Me 2
The Croods
Hotel Transylvania
Over the Hedge
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Meet The Robinsons
Anastasia
Puss In Boots
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Shrek 2
Shark Tale
Horton Hears a Who!
Space Jam (not sure if eligible)
Hoodwinked!
Stuart Little
Garfield 2
Open Season
Stuart Little 2
Robots
Rio
The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride
Shrek The Third
The Smurfs
Shrek Forever After
Antz
Chicken Little
Planes
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (if eligible)
Alvin and the Chipmunks

The Little Mermaid
Hercules
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Puss In Boots
Shrek 2

Those are worth watching, so don't listen to Daniel.

The first two sections and my underlined films are ones I'd consider 'listworthy', the others, I hope don't make it, that's just my honest opinion, as I think they are average to poor and there must be so many better films out there that I would rather explore. The Littler Mermaid and Hercules I don't mind actually, but if they make it, it will be because of people's childhood. Shrek I find massively overrated and mainly annoying, I'm not sure why you like Puss In Boots as it's so average and forgettable. Nightmare before Christmas I wouldn't mind making it either, it's unique and well made, that's just more personal preference that I didn't like it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Cool movies that aren't great and won't make it, but have a lot of nostalgia for me:

Sword in the Stone
The Rescuers Down Under
The Great Mouse Detective
Lion King 2
James and the Giant Peach
Fox and the hound
Yes....Return of Jafar

Sword in the Stone
One of my all time favorite Disney movies. Will probably make my list because of nostalgic reasons (one of the few that will make it because of that). It's also just a great, laid-back ride through the charming education of a future legend by a very intriguiging version of the legendary Merlin. It's an enrichening film experience for kids and I think, also for adults.

@Daniel:
Puss in Boots is quite underrated actually. It's not like it's going to make my list or anything, but it has a couple of fun and imaginative movies. I randomly saw it at the theater on a hangover day and it kept me cuffed. It has a few very nicely animated, dream-like bits.

The Little Mermaid is simply a good Disney movie. It's not a particular favorite of mine, but it's definitely worth watching. It's also responsible for the Disney Renaissance.

Hercules is not for everyone, but I happen to think it's an energetic blast of a film that cleverly comments on the "celebrity status" some people have today, but in a jacket of Americanized Greek mythology. Again, probably not going to make my list, but definitely a film that's worthy of being seen.

The Shrek movies were pretty innovating and set a whole different, new standard for mainstream animation films. I like the first two quite a bit.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is simply a great film. I'm quite surprised that you don't like it.

Let the night air cool you off
I am strongly considering starting a thread where I do an IMDb top 250 style deal for animated shorts. I'd probably keep it at 100, but I think it would be better than us including shorts in a list with features. It would probably even better than us trying to vote and compile an animated short list, but I'd still like to see that happen.

I'm really curious to see how the nostalgia factor plays out. For obvious reasons it's probably going to be a bigger factor with this list than others.

Already, though, I can see the cutoff is going to be brutal. I like to start on lists early by listing a lot of possibilities and revising down/adding whenever they kick off, and I'm kind of shocked at how many tough choices I've already got. And that's without diving into the recommendations, which I think I'm going to really sink my teeth into this time, since I've neglected less mainstream animation a fair bit. If that adds even 2-3 more films to the mix, I'm going to have to leave out some really good entries.

My immediate watchlist consists of these films, which are movies I've been meaning to see for a while now anyway. Figure I'll get to these first.

Persepolis
Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Allegro non troppo
A Town Called Panic

I could actually add more to this immediate watchlist, I want to see more Bakshi for example, but those are the important ones.