How should a MoFo Top Animated Films list work?

Tools    

I'd be hard pressed to get an animated list together.
I was just thinking the other day that we ought to have an MoFo Top 100 Animated Films countdown. I even put together a rough draft of what would probably be my top 25.

I was wondering though if this happened, what the criteria would be? I know for most of the other lists, short films were accepted, but for animation I think that might be problematic, since one could conceivably include any short from any televised cartoon. There's also the question of how animation is defined. Obviously traditional hand drawn animation would be acceptable, as would CGI and stop motion. But what about motion capture? And what about hybrid films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I'd be okay with doing a MoFo animated list, but I really think that animated list I shared is good.

I'm just worried a MoFo list will be crowded with all the Disney and Pixar animated movies, with very few more obscure ones. The list I shared has a great balance of obscure and popular.

I'm just worried a MoFo list will be crowded with all the Disney and Pixar animated movies, with very few more obscure ones.
You've technically been here for six years and you doubt there'll be many obscure films on a MoFo Top 100?

It'll be chock full of anime and foreign weirdness. Sexy'll be banging his gong every other post.

I also hope there's a large variety of animation styles represented - stop motion, hand-drawn, rotoscope, you name it. Let's have it all.

I think the criteria for animated films should be a feature length film, whether a spinoff of a TV cartoon or not, if it's feature length, it's in.

As for hybrids like Roger Rabbit... I'd say that to meet the criteria the film has to have no actual living things in it at all, so Roger rabbit wouldn't count. That would also eliminate things like Jurassic Park. Technically, the dinosaurs are animated, but the film isn't an animated film as there are live action things in it.

I mean, imagine if something like Natural Born Killers made the cut... the movie does have animated sequences...

I'd say that to meet the criteria the film has to have no actual living things in it at all.
Technically that would eliminate Wall E, too. Between the clips of Hello Dolly and Fred Willard's parts, it's not entirely animated either.

I'm not okay with that.

It's got to be all animated. No hybrids, please. If there's like, one live action scene, that might be okay... but not Roger Rabbit or anything. That's not an animated film dag nabit.

Technically that would eliminate Wall E, too. Between the clips of Hello Dolly and Fred Willard's parts, it's not entirely animated either.

I'm not okay with that.
I'm okay with limited use of live action, like in WALL-E, but not to the extent of something like Roger Rabbit, which is primarily live action.

I mean, no animated film list is right without WALL-E.

Hello Dolly wasn't created for WALL-E. It's something that already existed that was included/added.

Although Fred Willard's role was created solely for the film.

I mean, just as another example... something like Team America. It's all puppets.
Apart from the Cat scene which was created solely for the film.

Maybe there should be a criteria that is has to be classed as an animated film under BBFC and MPAA Guidelines... or something.

It's got to be all animated. No hybrids, please. If there's like, one live action scene, that might be okay... but not Roger Rabbit or anything. That's not an animated film dag nabit.
I agree. However to avoid confusion I think very specific guidelines would need to be laid out in advance.

I think a "MoFo's top 100 animated feature films" list could work. It will probably be a little biased towards Pixar, Disney and Studio Ghibli, but there's still plenty of room for other kinds of films and if everyone does a small effort and watches some new stuff, there could even be a few nice surprises in it.

@Swan: I love that list, but it features films like King Kong and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which are predominantly "live action" films in my opinion (and also in your opinion, if I understand correctly). We could use that list as a basis to discover films for the MoFo list, though. I think it would be a great event!

Setting a few clear rules shouldn't be that difficult. We can still rely on an executive officer (who would logically also be the general organizer of the list) to decide about specific cases (with the help of a strong public voice of course).

Let the night air cool you off
The main reason I'd like to have the two separate lists: I have a really hard time comparing 90 minute Pixar features to 7 minute Looney Tunes shorts. The other reason: I would hate my list if I had to split it between shorts and features. I'd be leaving out a huge amount of things I love.

I think the 100 animated shorts idea could be really interesting. Besides TV shorts, there are lots of great contemporary shorts like the works of Pixar (Knick Knack, For the Birds, Lifted, Partly Cloudy, One Man Band, Geri's Game, etc) and also a ton of great older stuff like Tale of Tales, the various works of Jiri Trnka, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

If we do animated film list, ESPECIALLY two separate ones, it might end up making more sense if like the comic book list we do Top 50s. Maybe it'll attract enough lists, and a variety of films to do a top 100, but I don't think they will to be honest.