Everything Francis Ford Coppola

Tools    

I've decided to make it my business this year to sift through all of Francis Ford Coppola's work as a film director and share my insight to what makes him one of my favorite directors, even if I do not consider his movies to be among my favorites.

Coppola has a very straightforward, endearing and intelligent way of speaking and divulges many candid anecdotes about his craft, how others treat him in the business, and what he longs to do outside of the system.

Most recently Francis has become something of a film hobbyist, making his own personal films and theatrical experiments, as well as maintaining his renowned winery, cafes, hotels, resorts and lifestyle supplements in the form of vacation adventure.

For a guy who came onto the scene, wrote a large chunk of Patton and won George C. Scott's approval, made 3 acclaimed crime dramas, a Vietnam war epic like a nightmare, and even dabbled in a musical, an autobiography fantasy of a car designer, a high school time travel romance, a Val Kilmer selfie misfire set to CGI gothic set design, Bram Stoker's book to screen with virtually NO cgi, and so on and so forth, he's had a fine career.

But something keeps drawing me back to the man himself, Francis Ford. I watch him in an interview. He sits there like a nervous but docile dog. Overweight, looking tired, sleepers oozing out of the corners of his eyes. He's not starving these days. He probably never was. He may not even be very healthy, physically. I love him. He doesn't have much time left. I want to express my thoughts on him and see all of his films this year.

I'll report on them here.

I got to follow this and hopefully see the next 2 Godfather's.
Think you'll like the second one more than the first.

Good idea, Joel. Will be following this thread as i've still got so much of his to see, and i'm curious if he has some hidden gems as his post 70's work is too easily dismissed. Seen 11 of his films this is how i ranked them:

https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...oppola-ranked/

I like the first eight, love the first five. I'm not sure about Rumble Fish i completely adored Rourke but it's such a weird film, want to see it again.

Edit: Also watch Hearts of Darkness if you haven't.

Edit: Also watch Hearts of Darkness if you haven't.
Seen Hearts of Darkness many moons ago and loved it. Actually just ordered the over priced dvd of it with the special feature doc on the making of Youth Without Youth called CODA. His wife did that one, too. Included on the disc. In the mail as I type. Can't wait to see it again.

After the 1970s, it's said that Francis Ford Coppola has never again quite reached the amount of acclaim and popularity than he did in that decade, while I can see why, that's not to say he didn't make any good movies after that, like Rumble Fish and The Rainmaker.

If you're serious about studying Coppola's work, I would start with his masterpiece The Conversation, and don't forget a forgotten gem from his resume...the 1968 musical Finian's Rainbow.

Of his later work I enjoy the operatic Dracula, and the Rainmaker. Looked at his IMDB because of this thread, didn't even know Twixt existed.

If you're serious about studying Coppola's work, I would start with his masterpiece The Conversation, and don't forget a forgotten gem from his resume...the 1968 musical Finian's Rainbow.
I'm a big fan of The Conversation. I have not seen Finian's Rainbow. Thanks!

Of his later work I enjoy the operatic Dracula, and the Rainmaker. Looked at his IMDB because of this thread, didn't even know Twixt existed.
Twixt is hit and miss in my opinion. There are some breathtaking scenes as well as some labored scenes bordering on gawdy. Lots of CGI landscapes, sets. Some of Val Kilmer's improvisational dialog is cringe inducing. Still, it's definitely far from being a studio picture and probably warrants a repeat viewing since it is a dense picture.