Moonlight (I just don't get it!)

→ in
Tools    

That's understandable. The final third is really beautifully written for sure and I can understand liking that third the most. My heart though is with the first third.

In 2015 we had the hashtag #Oscarssowhite so the following year the push was for diversity it made a good showing in Toronto(where it lost to La La Land). The film was released maintained it's buzz and ended up winning the BP Oscar. Now in hindsight was it the best film of the year...I'd say Gareth Davis Lion or Martin Scorsese's Silence hold up more as classics. But it's a good enough winner If Beale Street Could Talk has demonstrated that Jenkins is a talent.
Even thinking about the big debacle with the envelope on Oscar night, Best Picture should have gone to La La Land

I think Moonlight is one of the best Best Picture winners of this century, personally.

Although, while I think it's great all the way through, I feel like each subsequent third is a slightly less impressive shade of great than the previous one. The first third is a masterpiece in and of itself in my opinion, the second third is ridiculously great, and the final third is great.

In spite if this, however, I'd still rank it really high amongst my favorite films of the 2010's as the parts I love the most about it keep me coming back to it.
It's also one of my contenders as 'best' recent Oscar winner. I don't really distinguish much between the quality of the three acts though. I pretty much think they all work together equally pretty perfectly.

It's also one of my contenders as 'best' recent Oscar winner. I don't really distinguish much between the quality of the three acts though. I pretty much think they all work together equally pretty perfectly.
For what it's worth, I don't really have any issues with the film. To me, it's just a scale of how great each third is. Nothing was able to top Juan's characterization in the first third, but I'd still say that all the thirds are great and it would definitely make my top five favorites films of the decade. This is just something I've noticed while watching it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh, to our newer members, you can make your own:

https://www.movieforums.com/community/oscar_card.php
Holy monkey biscuits, Batman! I didn't know this existed!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear