A V P

→ in
Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
So over all a 6 out of 10 for me.....
Woah, that caught me off guard. After reading all the bad points you made I was expecting to see a 2 or a 3.
Still, you've saved me £5.50 by convincing me not to see the film. Cheers

AVP was and is probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.It's filled with action, suspense, and everything.I've been a fan of the Alien and Predator anthology for awhile.

my friend thought that movie was the ****, i cant see his point of view really -_-

and does predators have X-Ray Version? i dont recall them using it in 1 or 2?

No No Please go and see it, i gave it 6 out of 10 cos im a massive fan of alien and a massive fan of preds hence why the high score.... anyone who says the film is good as a very low opinion of what alien vs pred films should be like...

worth a watch mate, worth a watch.....

WARNING: "AVP" spoilers below
AvP is, simply, hands-down terrible. It was, I can say, even worse than it looked to be when that first script started rolling around. To refresh your memory, the original script had the movie beginning with young Predators hunting Aliens in ancient South America. Something goes wrong, and there end up being a ridiculous number of aliens, and the predators blow themselves up. We cut to the present. I don't know about any of you, but I thought that'd have been relatively cool. Unfortunately, all of this does happen, but it's a little sidenote halfway through the movie and knowing about it beforehand actually made it quite terrible.

I'm going to go relatively deply into the plot, so there are some spoilers ahead. It begins with Lance Hendriksen's company discovering the temple in Antarctica. This is very exciting. We quickly are introduced to the main characters as a representative of Hendriksen's (that black guy who was rumored to be the next James Bond...I forget his name. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him as Bond) travels the globe recruiting people for an expedition. We get terrible little introductions that tell us nothing about anyone other than the fact that they're textbook b-movie characters. We start to get the feeling that Anderson really just wanted to get to the fighting as quickly as possible. The only ones of note are the courageous, strong female mountain climber and the sexy Italian archaeologist man.

We get to Antarctica, and that competing Bellocq-esque character from the original script isn't there. Nuts. Some forgettable stuff happens, and the team ends up going down a shaft to the temple that the Predator ship lasered through the ice. The predators land and kill some people. Despite sexy archaeologist's warnings, black James Bond takes some Predator guns out of a sarcophagus, and the team gets locked down in the temple. An alien queen gets unfrozen, and face-grabbers eventually surface to kill some more characters that I'm pretty sure we were supposed to know and love.

At this point, the fighting begins, and it's fantastically stupid. We see the aliens jumping around like ninjas, in full view, which completely eliminates the mystique that made "Alien" so good. And guess what, two of the three Predators get killed within 5 minutes. Then after another 10 or so, the only human left is Sanaa Lathan, the courageous climber lady. So, logically, she teams up with the last Predator to defeat the aliens. I finally laugh.

Here, there's a silly little scene in which the Predator rewards Sanaa Lathan's courage by making her an "honorary Predator." This, to me, was taking the incredibly cool ending of "Predator 2" and pissing all over it. I laughed here, and so did half of the other people in the theater.

Good Predator and Sanaa blow up the temple, and then have to fight the Alien Queen, who runs around like the T-Rex from Jurassic Park. They defeat her, but it costs the life of poor Good Predator. The Predator mothership shows up (or was it there all along?). Some Predators take away Good Predator's body, and their leader approaches Sanaa Lathan. When he sees that she's an Honorary Predator, he gives her his spear and leaves. After this moment, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at "Predator 2" the same way again.

We see Sanaa walking away triumphantly in plainclothes, not seeming to mind that it's frigging Antarctica, and we all feel very proud of her. But wait...we cut to the Predator ship, where Good Predator is lying on a table, dead. It's now that we remember that a face-grabber had gotten him earlier in the movie. Sure enough, out pops...well I'll let you see this one for yourself. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't want to ruin it. If you guess what it is, and then say to yourself "no, that can't be it, that's just stupid"...you have too much faith in Mr. Anderson. At this point, I get up and leave.

Yes, I've glossed over a whole lot, but honestly nothing else is worth mentioning. The movie is completely rushed, and it just plain sucks. It literally could have been 45 minutes long and been just as good. There isn't a memorable character, scene, quote, or death. The effects are reasonably good, but they're nothing new.

The Queen Alien is moderately cool...but she's not supposed to be a T-Rex, she's supposed to be a giant, disturbing, sedentary monster that does nothing but pop out eggs and drive Brad Dourif insane. The camaraderie between Good Predator and Sanaa Lathan is just insulting. Sanaa Lathan is not Danny Glover. Paul WS (what the hell does that stand for, anyway?) has taken one great series (well, except for the fourth one) and one pretty good series and combined them to create completely forgettable crap. It's a real shame, given that we've all been waiting so long for it.

I found that review from somebody on Aint It Cool News and it explains exactly how I feel and felt while watching AVP.

wow, i guess that i'm just not as picky with movies, i didn't think it was so bad, there were some inconsistencies, but as far as i'm concerned, the only thing that i expect and want from a VS. Movie, is good fight scenes, and a plot that doesn't get really corny. AVP had that, and good visualy effects, despite some flaws, it was better than i expected, and some things that i think people didn't notice, there are many qualities that are simply the lack of something bad, i especially noticed that the Aliens and Preds were on a relatively level playing field, i was afraid that the predators would be depicted as godlike, and almost impossible to kill, but i was pleased with what i saw. JRS, i'm surprised that you thought all those thing about AVP, but i guess that comes with the excessive foreknowledge you have on many movies, still, i think that the review you posted had several exaggerations, mostly timewise, and as for the actions of the aliens, i thought they were better, and had always pictured them moving in such a fashion. However, i guess we all get our opinions, no matter how much we may disagree.

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
....you posted had several exaggerations, mostly timewise...
Exaggerations are made now and then with everybody but, in my case in your POV, what are mine here especially timewise (just Curious) ?

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
...as for the actions of the aliens, i thought they were better, and had always pictured them moving in such a fashion.
They way the Alien jumped up and ran down the corriders was not the way it always does. It just looked too much like Predator in Jurassic Park.
Though you're right, we all have our own viewa on things.

The only thing that went dreadfully wrong in this movie was the last 10-20 minutes or so. The “Unifications of Predator and Human”. Not to be callous, but he should of done away with her or at least “NOT” team up. Totally impractical. But being a Alien & Predator fan as I am, I have to say it was a very enticing movie... The brawl between the Predator and Alien, as short as it was, made the whole movie worthwhile. And the rumours of a sequel to Alien vs. Predators, may give a chance for a more reviewed and more satisfying movie. Something with a lot less humans and a lot more Aliens and Predators.

FYI: the Predators were only “Adolescent”. So I forgave the fact that they died so early on in the movie. I totally agree with JRS comment on the “Queen chase scene” resembling The Jurassic Park “T-Rex chase scene“. I couldn’t bare to watch the rest of the movie after that…

i'm not denying the flaws, just saying that, when i personally weigh them against the pros, i'd say that it was a great movie.

The Green Lantern
It was horrible!!! I want my money back. It was corny, campy & STUPID!!! I figured that it was going to be bad but not horrible. I went to see it mainly for the bone crushing fights. Hardly any of that magnitude. The ending was so insanely corny.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

really, now i definately know that if i'm picky in movies, then everyone else is insanely overcritical, can't anyone just consider the good points of the movie??

film making extraordinaire
AVP did the most it was capable of, decent special effects. I think we can all agree that there was no hope for a good script when it comes to a movie like this. Freddy vs Jason is a great example of this. For a film maker such as myself who is all about the creative script before starting the art of making the film, this was extremely painful to watch. (IE: The woman killing the alien and then the predator looking at her walk by.) The quality of this film was foreshadowed when I noticed that a series of R movies joined to make a....p13 movie? A pity that I couldn't experience a higher level of violence to release any stress I gained from the poor script and acting.

Moose

I've now seen the movie a 2nd time, just earlier today, and I still don't get what everyone hated about it. As far as I can tell, no movie is perfect (please, quote me on that), and it's definately easier to say how bad a movie is, but some people don't even bother to look at the good qualities of a movie

I See You When You're Sleeping
I've just been witness to a murder, I have many problems with this movie.

01)It's too short

02)It's a direct rehash of Aliens and Predator 2.

03)Everyone dies really quickly, no character development.

04)So many Aliens that it just doesn't make sense where they come from.

05)It has the worst twist ending ever. At least the village didn't reveal it's ending earlier in the film.

06)The whole 'picking experts' scenario. O.K, why take only two mercenaries down and leave the rest up top?

07)Why do they still believe it's another digging team that's dug that perfect hole in the last day when they can see it came from the sky?

08)Why would they put the date into the calendar thing? Why would they try that? Experts would have more sense not to touch things.

09)What is the main character going to do at the end? She's stranded!

10)I'm really truly saddened by this film. I really didn't mind Alien:Resurrection even though it was another a-b action film; it was ok, but this is awful. The Alien vs Predator scenes are great, it's just in the context of this stupid, flawed movie it just doesn't work.

Someone hug me.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I've just been witness to a murder, I have many problems with this movie.

01)It's too short

02)It's a direct rehash of Aliens and Predator 2.

03)Everyone dies really quickly, no character development.

04)So many Aliens that it just doesn't make sense where they come from.

05)It has the worst twist ending ever. At least the village didn't reveal it's ending earlier in the film.

06)The whole 'picking experts' scenario. O.K, why take only two mercenaries down and leave the rest up top?

07)Why do they still believe it's another digging team that's dug that perfect hole in the last day when they can see it came from the sky?

08)Why would they put the date into the calendar thing? Why would they try that? Experts would have more sense not to touch things.

09)What is the main character going to do at the end? She's stranded!

10)I'm really truly saddened by this film. I really didn't mind Alien:Resurrection even though it was another a-b action film; it was ok, but this is awful. The Alien vs Predator scenes are great, it's just in the context of this stupid, flawed movie it just doesn't work.

Someone hug me.
1, can't help that
2, don't know what rehash means, fill me in, then i'll answer
3, that i'll concede to, but i don't consider that a huge flaw
4, it seems like there were a lot, but there were only 8-ish
5, didn't see the village, and I liked the Predalien, although i'd rather have just had you see his body, pan to darkness, and the hear the chestbursting, it could use some work, but it was ok
6, they took 4 down, and left 4 up
7, if you didn't know that Predators existed, how would u explain the large hole, or would u even try too?
8, it's a movie, not gospel, don't follow every detail, of course they go bumbling into the situation, and wasn't the point to try and get the box open?
9, she was walking toward one of those big, tank-like things, the lighting wasn't that great
10, that's just ur opinion, although i do agree that they could have made a much better story

film making extraordinaire
Times are changing where more viewers appeal to the special effects movie than the creative movie with the amazing script. This could be argued forever, but from a film maker's perspective who isn't into the industrial type film and more for the actual story, this movie is poor. Remember a good story will always be remembered, AVP will surely be forgotten.

STOMP FREAKIN' TASTIC!
Im a hardcore fan of the Predator movies (a dirty amount of memorabilia and a GF who don't like it makes that so) and i've gotta admit i was pretty impressed by this movie. It would have been better if Anderson had had full control over what was what...... but Fox intervened.... this is why the movie is a pg13 in the US, this is why there is no real blood and gore ( as per the original pred and alien/aliens movies). Hopefully all will be better for an 'unrated' directors chop on DVD. A couple of points i'd like to clear up from earlier posts..... the Preds have a vast array of vision modes.... only 3 were used in AvP. The Aliens grow much quicker due to being genetically manipulated that way.... they're there to be hunted so i can't see the Preds sitting there with a coffee watching the tv whilst waiting for the Aliens to mature.
The movie did a No.1 in the US so im hoping for a sequel.