How do you want DISNEY/MARVEL to handle future X-MEN projects?

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
The question is...what is going to happen to X-MEN?

How do y'all want Disney to lay the foundation for this new take on mutants?

I'm a huge X-MEN fan. Shows, comics, all that. I even used to write roleplay with other big fans.

That said, even I am burned out on X-MEN. At least in its current state. I liked the first two films, abhorred the third film, got a kick out of the first Wolverine movie, disliked the next one, loved Logan, liked First Class and loved Days of Future Past. Apocalypse I've yet to watch again since release (recently bought the steel book DVD), and I am trying very hard to like The Gifted but it not easy to do, IMO.

I generally enjoy Disney's MCU films, to varying degrees, looking forward to Endgame and being optimistic about Dark Phoenix.

My view is not an optimistic one, mostly because I can't stand repetition. Even FOX did this with the "reboot." Some nice moments with the new actors playing Magneto, Professor X, etc, etc. But if you take all of the content and characters from these movies, what's left? I know that the comics are a treasure trove, and hopefully I'm not the only fan that wants to see Gambit or Marrow or Longshot or Hellion for once in these movies, but how marketable can those characters be?

There has to be some reason why FOX wound up redoing Xavier, Magneto, WOLVERINE, Storm, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Beast, Jean Grey/Phoenix. They even used the Hellfire Club, Sentinels (took them forever), Apocalypse, Caliban, X-23, etc.

Do you think Disney is going to do these characters, again? I know the outcry of "THEY NEED TO BE DONE RIGHT!" has been ignored by FOX for the most part, and I got a feeling that Dark Phoenix will only fuel the flames more once FOX butchers that storyline twice. The question is how wide is the gap in creativity between FOX and MARVEL screenwriters? There's countless characters in X-MEN. They're all kind of similar, but I gotta give kudos to The Gifted for branching out a bit and even making new characters.

Look at the 90s show, Evolution, even Wolverine & The X-Men for ways it could be done. Aside from the comics, I think the 90s show and the X-Men Legends video games did the best at "deep cuts" for some compelling stories. Kind of a chore to play, but worth checking out IMO. Mixed feelings about X-MEN: Destiny, but I liked it overall. I heard that Genosha is featured in Dark Phoenix, so that piqued my interest some, but we'll see.

I guess I'd be fine with some "staple" characters returning, but hopefully it won't take 18 films to get this new X-MEN universe going. We've seen enough origin stories, young takes, etc, with FOX's reboot. Just pick a story that hasn't been done yet, and do it well. You might need to make two movies to do it successfully as it would be tough to put a bow on a new storyline and launch a new franchise at the same time. But please, showcase more mutants and not in a cameo fashion. Pick a handful to focus on, and there ya go.

Overall, I'm not optimistic as I said. The burnout is real, and I think it may show when the box office for even Marvel-made X-MEN movies underwhelms. Not sure how smitten Disney/Marvel is with the idea of making these movies, but more of the same clearly hasn't worked for FOX. Should they even do it?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Probably best they don't make anymore. Not sure if they can do anything new or fresh with it.

On one hand, Disney's current interest with anything Marvel is the MCU... and on the other hand, it's almost impossible to bring X-Men into the MCU, considering continuity.
I mean, how would you explain Wolverine being 150 years old, and not showing up at all during the events of the past 10 years of MCU movies? Like, he's been around all this time but never bothered helping out?

The closest they got with X-Men in the MCU was a new rendition of Quicksilver... and, again considering the heavily set-in-stone continuity of the MCU, the current X-Men series of movies simply wouldn't work being connected to the MCU.

The other thing to consider with the difference between X-Men and MCU... is the origins of the characters.
X-Men are all genetic. They're mutations. X-Men is all about evolution.
The MCU, are humans who get changed via genetic tampering (Captain America, Spidey and Hulk for example), or are people who use powered suits and military training... or, they're aliens. A prime example is my previous nod, Quicksilver... they had to rewrite his origins to make him fit the MCU.
The two franchises just aren't compatible in motion-picture form.

The only way for X-Men is to either carry on as they are and make more sequels... or a hard reset with new actors in a "new universe".
Which wouldn't be a bad thing.
I mean, the Deadpool movies, The Wolverine, Logan and DofP are the best of the series, with the rest being either just ok or totally mediocre. Apocalypse was so awful it makes me not even want to bother with Dark Phoenix.

By not making them.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The real question is how do you get studios to stop making films when a franchise has run its course, or at least wait a reasonable amount of time before the next reboot.

I know I'm in the minority but I liked that the X-Men were in their own universe. It helped sell the idea that people felt threatened by the mutants, some of whom are similar to The Avengers, and it didn't lead to the question, if the world is threatened, where are The Avengers?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
They definitely want X-Men part of the Avengers team. That means more money for them. How to do it? I don't know. Maybe the timestone has something to do with it. Who knows.

Suspect's Reviews

I'll say no. I say this as someone who thinks Marvel has done a tremendous job. But it's just too much. The Avengers films have scratched my "everyone's here!" itch sufficiently, and the X-Men films have actually been pretty good for awhile now, so I wouldn't muck either up.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I can see them rolling out a lot of solo X-men movies and building to a X-men team/crossover movie.

I also feel like they may take some of the Marvel/Netflix series and make movies now that they have liberated those properties.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll say no. I say this as someone who thinks Marvel has done a tremendous job. But it's just too much. The Avengers films have scratched my "everyone's here!" itch sufficiently, and the X-Men films have actually been pretty good for awhile now, so I wouldn't muck either up.
Of course we wouldn't......but the rabid fanboys and Star Wars over-saturated Disney begs to differ.

Yeah. It seems plausible.

I do think what doubledenim just alluded to would be, at least, the best way to do it: over time. Gradually. Especially if this phase is going to lead to a lot of roster turnover and focus more on the alien stuff going forward (since there's a lot of that with some of the major X-Men stories, particularly the ones they haven't done yet and are apparently doing next). I wouldn't be too worried if they tried to do it that way, both in terms of taking their time and using the X-Men as a way to keep things fresh and exciting after Endgame and its related fallout.

I want Fantastic 4 first, they still have so many non-mutant characters that could be done well, I'd wait 10 years before trying to do Xmen again (or until a suitably short actor who has a shot at being regarded as high or at least close to Jackman's Wolverine comes around)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
One-offs that are so frequent in the comic world would be great, but any planned single movie would be franchised out unless it bombed.

What I think they should have done in the first place: make it like the comics.

Start with the original team of 5 + the Professor.

(Personally, I always loved the blue and yellow - or were they supposed to be black and yellow? - uniforms and how they were each a little different: Scott's had the visor, Jean's had a hole for her hair, Warren had his wings coming out the back, Bobby's was just boots while Hank's was no boots or gloves! )

Don't make the school filled with dozens of students (not until later films at least), but have it be what it was originally, just a cover for a small team of mutants - a very very exclusive school.

They could introduce other characters (like Wolverine of course) much as they did in Age of Apocalypse where they had young Scott & Jean meet Logan just after he'd gone through the Weapon X program.

Havok, Polaris, Banshee could also be introduced (who all appeared in the original series).

They could introduce Magneto and his original Brotherhood, and I wouldn't be opposed to them tying in some international "meanwhiles" showing young Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Sunfire and Thunderbird.

The first movie could culminate with the team "graduating," getting their personalized costumes...

Hank's transformation into his blue-furred form...

And prepare for a sequel where a team of American teen mutants transitions into a truly international team (just like the X-Men's rebirth in the comics).

I always loved the concept of the international super-team and, come to think of it, the X-Men in 1975 were the first to really embody that concept as representatives from Kenya, Russia, Germany, Japan, Canada, Ireland and the United States were brought together.

I know I'm in the minority but I liked that the X-Men were in their own universe. It helped sell the idea that people felt threatened by the mutants, some of whom are similar to The Avengers, and it didn't lead to the question, if the world is threatened, where are The Avengers?
That's something I've always felt, too. Like in the comic version of Old Man Logan, it took
WARNING: "SPOILERS!" spoilers below
all the villains ever via Mysterio's mind illusion powers to trick Wolverine into killing all the heroes by making him perceive them as villains.
There's almost too many heroes to the point that why would anyone ever try to contend with them or with the forces of "good" in the Marvel universe? Aside from a god mode character like Thanos...

What I think they should have done in the first place: make it like the comics.

Start with the original team of 5 + the Professor.

(Personally, I always loved the blue and yellow - or were they supposed to be black and yellow? - uniforms and how they were each a little different: Scott's had the visor, Jean's had a hole for her hair, Warren had his wings coming out the back, Bobby's was just boots while Hank's was no boots or gloves! )

Don't make the school filled with dozens of students (not until later films at least), but have it be what it was originally, just a cover for a small team of mutants - a very very exclusive school.

They could introduce other characters (like Wolverine of course) much as they did in Age of Apocalypse where they had young Scott & Jean meet Logan just after he'd gone through the Weapon X program.

Havok, Polaris, Banshee could also be introduced (who all appeared in the original series).

They could introduce Magneto and his original Brotherhood, and I wouldn't be opposed to them tying in some international "meanwhiles" showing young Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Sunfire and Thunderbird.

The first movie could culminate with the team "graduating," getting their personalized costumes...

Hank's transformation into his blue-furred form...

And prepare for a sequel where a team of American teen mutants transitions into a truly international team (just like the X-Men's rebirth in the comics).

I always loved the concept of the international super-team and, come to think of it, the X-Men in 1975 were the first to really embody that concept as representatives from Kenya, Russia, Germany, Japan, Canada, Ireland and the United States were brought together.

Nice contribution. Definitely getting the purist vibe from you, which I can definitely sympathize with. I don't know with kids nowadays if classic buildup and whatnot would do well, though. Unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses, everybody! Much appreciated. We got some definite votes of no confidence, no interest, and some ideas moving forward.

I recall the MovieFights crew talking about Secret Wars and why it would be so cool. I agree. I could see Disney doing MCU Slow Burn Build-Up 2.0 with the muties. I got the feeling that FOX was going that route with First Class, but then they seemingly got impatient or fan demand forced its hand (not sure). The progress in the new universe doesn't quite feel organic to me, especially with Days of Future Past spliced in there as the #2 movie. Then they added in Cyclops and Storm and Jean Grey in Apocalypse, and it felt rushed in my eyes. I thought we'd be getting two movies for the Age of Apocalypse. The picks for the horsemen were not perfect, either.

So a slow burn, "see what develops and what doesn't" approach would be neat.

For what it's worth, I'd much rather have Disney/Marvel making the Gambit movie than all the hairbrained ideas FOX was rumored to be working on. If they even make it, that is.

As another person said, a mash-up/meetup is definitely appealing to Disney/Marvel. Especially with the fun idea of a new actor carrying on the Wolverine torch.

I also note the burnout feeling and "let it be for a while first" sentiment someone offered this thread.

Overall, I'm glad to see FOX losing control of it. I like the movies as I said for the most part, but there's so much that could be done and bigger ideas, with hopefully more of a creative vision.