The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino)

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."

This had been on my Netflix queue for at least two years. Playing RDR2 got me back on a western kick especially due to the wintry prologue similarities, so I finally watched it the other night.

Overall, I liked the movie. Grotesque and not the most re-watchable material due to the content and whodunit elements, but checks most of the Tarantino boxes with some nice cinematography and dialogue.

Highlight was seeing , but my immersion was shattered when Tarantino I presume comes in for the voice over. Not sure if this was a moment for one of his homages to whodunits or something, but it took me a while to regain my focus. Seems like an afterthought since not much later the prologue is revealed clearly. I doubt Tarantino couldn't write himself a better way of introducing the poison element, so I must say if homage was the intent, it was in bad taste IMO as I was really compelled at that point in the viewing.

Not as good as Django Unchained, but still glad I finally watched it. Ending was lukewarm, too. But hey, what can you do. I could've done without the token full Samuel L. Jackson moment. I felt like Django Unchained got away from that temptation, but this also took me out of the story a bit. The good moments are good stuff, though, I must say.

What did you think of it?

Also looking forward to QT's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" this summer...

This is my favorite when i am drunk! The way Jackson says MF... is sheer poetry! I quite liked the movie for the snow and the whodunit element especially. I am a sucker for those types of movies!

And for me Eight better than Django.

One thing that struck me most with the movie was Morricone using the same music as he used on John Carpenter's The Thing.

It was labelled as "The unused score from The Thing"... but The Thing DVD actually contains that score on the main menu
I liked the use of the music though, considering the setting of the movie has them snowed in.

Hateful Eight as a whole though is solid.
Well written, well executed.

overlong and too much talking... i liked django unchained much better, it is the better film ofc

The Hateful Eight is the first Tarantino I've liked since Kill Bill 1 so, for me, it's obviously better than Django (which has nothing of value besides Samuel Jackson's over-the-top performance).

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
It’s very good, not his best but one of the best films of that year. Witty dialogue, interesting characters and an intriguing plot. Not something I was keen to rewatch immediately. These types of movies I like to revisit after a few years. There was a seriously disturbing scene involving Samuel l out in the snow and someone son. That was full on even compared to tarintino standards.

Love Russel.. love Coggins.. love the soundtrack.. love the who dun-it mystery setting..

Thought the usage of 2pac in Django was out of place..
The Hateful Eight is way better than Django imho..

The Hateful Eight is the first Tarantino I've liked since Kill Bill 1 so, for me,

This!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One thing that struck me most with the movie was Morricone using the same music as he used on John Carpenter's The Thing.

It was labelled as "The unused score from The Thing"... but The Thing DVD actually contains that score on the main menu
I liked the use of the music though, considering the setting of the movie has them snowed in.

Hateful Eight as a whole though is solid.
Well written, well executed.
This is what I don't like about Tarantino is that he keeps copying music from other movies. It's not just this one it's also Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, Kill Bill, Deathproof, etc.

I didn't mind it so much in Jackie Brown, cause it felt more like it belonged there, but not the other ones so much. I mean The Thing and The Hateful Eight are such different movies for example.

I still like his movies even so, but I would say The Hateful Eight is one of his lesser ones, and I would put it as his 7th best I think. It does have the best cinematography of all of his though.

The long drawn out colourful conversations, the snow, Samuel L. Jackson, the grim background music, is amazing, especially when under the influence!

I am drunk again. Time for this!

Who was your favorite character?

I'll have to go with "Sheriff" Chris Mannix. He was pretty charming. A bastard, like the rest of the characters, but he's been pretty memorable since the viewing.
Second would be Oswaldo Mobray, and third that sourpuss Joe Gage.

Pretty wily devil that Oswaldo, or whoever he actually is. Same with Gage.

Who was your favorite character?

I'll have to go with "Sheriff" Chris Mannix. He was pretty charming. A bastard, like the rest of the characters, but he's been pretty memorable since the viewing.
Second would be Oswaldo Mobray, and third that sourpuss Joe Gage.

Pretty wily devil that Oswaldo, or whoever he actually is. Same with Gage.
Oswaldo

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Definitely the only movie by QT that I didn't like. The pacing and the very boring, predictable plot twist (was it really a twist?) make this movie problematic.

Love Russel.. love Coggins.. love the soundtrack.. love the who dun-it mystery setting..

Thought the usage of 2pac in Django was out of place..
The Hateful Eight is way better than Django imho..
Django definitely wasn't without its charms, Waltz, Leo and Jackson are all excellent in it but really it does end up as a pretty straight forward revenge story telling us "slavery was bad", as true as that might be I tend to expect a bit more from Tarantino.

Hateful Eight to me both focused more on building up characters and tension plus actually had a bit of edge to it politically as well rather than simply preaching to the choir.

I didn't watch this movie.

That explanation of justice and frontier justice by Mowbray, was sweet.

That explanation of justice and frontier justice by Mowbray, was sweet.
Yeah, that was a nice line. Tarantino has written some pretty insightful stuff, IMO.