I watched this at the cinema, in hindsight, i wish i had just watched it later when it came out on DVD. I ended up leaving tho thirds into the movie, i could tell how the movie was going to end.
Every other submarine movie i have seen is a thousand times better than this movie.

At no point did i believe that Butler's character was the commander of the submarine. In fact i was thinking, this could have been a sequal to London Has Fallen, and been called Sea Has Fallen, and have him ending up on the submarine to save the day yet again. It felt like he was phoning the performance in.

And when it got to the point where the Russian President was captured, and only his submarine could rescue him (???), i knew it was going to be one of those good guy saves the day movies.

There was a side story of special service squad in Russia. The scenes with them was far more entertaining than those of the submarine. If the movie had just been about them, i would have gladly watched the whole movie

It had just about every cliche you could imagine in the movie. The new Cold War between US and Russia, the Russian President being captured (gee how original), the angry general at the Pentagon. The submarine missing underwater structures by centimeters.

Then there were the plot holes. Why would the submarine that Butler was commanding attack the Russian sub, considering it didnt even fire at them? Then after capturing the Russians, he works with the Russian sub captain (another cliche). By the way, why would the Russian captain help the americans to get to Russia, how could he so certain they werent going there for an attack?
I was on the side of one one the deckhands that said it was an act of treason for Butler to work with the Russian. I was on his side, i thought he was spot on. But i guess in movie world, things like a plot, and things making sense get thrown out the door, or in this case the submarine.

I must say, im pretty much done with Butler. His next movie had be pretty darn good to win me back. Im getting really sick of his good guys saves the world' movies. I will not be watching any more action movies with him in it.

I know he can be in good movies, he was in a movie called Family Man that was truly amazing.

I give the movie zero out of five stars, thats how much i think it stinks.