The Movie Forums Top 130 Albums Countdown

Tools    

Also they just labelled as one(experimental, prog) but not really far out like band on those classification despite their intense musicality. More like an alternative rock just with some quirk and flavors on it

I hope that's a typo. Despite my predilection towards progressive/experimental music, I don't have much patience for Muse.
My patience with them has been stretched recently, but I do like several of their earlier albums.
pretty much downhill. If only they didnt go into mainstream route, like not tried hard to refer much of ACDC, U2, or any contemporary pop music like skillet 🙁 . I just cant stand much those sh1t right now

That's what separate -made a gap of them- with guy like radiohead for example. when the later just went elite/snob music route.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
anyway here's my list.

25 John Denver, John Denver's Greatest Hits

I thought Greatest Hits albums weren't allowed. I probably would have had a bunch of greatest hits albums on my list if I knew they were eligible.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I guess I'll post my.list. I would have had several others from some of these artists if i hadn't limited them to one each. I also had a much longer list which I whittled down when I first compiled it over three years ago for our first list.

1. The Beatles (1968)
2. Roxy Music - Country Life (1974)
3. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (1986)
4. Happy the Man - Crafty Hands (1978)
5. Wire - Pink Flag (1977)
6. The Feelies - Time for a Witness (1991)
7. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
8. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (1969)
9. The Who - Who's Next? (1971)
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory (1970)
11. The Undertones (1979)
12. Björk - Homogenic (1997)
13. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (1966)
14. The Replacements - Let It Be (1984)
15. Elvis Costello & the Attractions Get Happy!! (1980)
16. The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (1999)
17. Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One (1997)
18. Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary (1979)
19. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (2000)
20. The Clash (1977)
21. The Ramones - Rocket to Russia (1977)
22. Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)
23. The Vibrators - Pure Mania (1977)
24. The Pixies - Doolittle (1989)
25. Stephen Malkmus (2001)

32. Björk - Post

Gah, MoFos should seriously give her music more listens.
I had difficulties in choosing which of her first three albums should I vote (finally chose Debut). Each of them got votes but none enough to make it

Well done Camo. Good job.

My list. (Clearly better than anyone else's list)

1. The Cure - 'Disintegration'
2. Death Cab for Cutie - 'Plans'
3. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - 'The Boatman's Call'
4. Pixies - ' Doolittle'
5. Radiohead - 'Amnesiac'
6. The Beatles - 'Rubber Soul'
7. The Rolling Stones - 'Sticky Fingers'
8. Arcade Fire - 'Funeral'
9. Sigur Ros - '()'
10. Max Richter - 'Infra'
11. The Beach Boys - 'Pet Sounds'
12. Clint Mansell - 'The Fountain OST'
13. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - 'And no More shall we part'
14. The Smiths - 'The Queen is Dead'
15. The Black Heart Procession - 'Three'
16. Bob Dylan - 'Blood on the Tracks'
17. David Bowie 'Hunkydory'
18. MONO - 'Hymn to the Immortal Wind'
19. Radiohead - 'OK Computer'
20. The Beatles - 'Help'
21. Beth Orton - 'Central Reservation'
22. Elliott Smith - 'XO'
23. The Raveonettes - 'Lust, Lust, Lust'
24. Bruce Springsteen - 'The River'
25. Typhoon - 'Offerrings'
26. Counting Crows - 'August and Everything After'
27. Explosions in the Sky - 'The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place'
28. Bjork - 'Post'
29. 16 Horsepower - 'Folklore'
30. Nirvana - 'Incesticide'
31. Simon and Garfunkel - 'Bridge over Troubled Water'
32. Jeff Buckley - 'Grace'
33. Mazzy Star - 'So Tonight That I Might See'
34. Neil Young - 'Harvest'
35. R.E.M. - 'Automatic for The People'
36. Slint - 'Spiderland'
37. Elastica - 'Elastica'
38. Mogwai - 'Young Team'
39. The National - 'High Violet'
40. Sufjan Stevens - 'Illinois'
41. Nils Frahm - 'Spaces'
42. The Chemical Brotehrs - 'Dig Your Own Hole'
43. The Dandy Warhols - 'Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia'
44. Hope of the States - 'The Lost Riots'
45. Pulp - 'A Different Class'
46. Peter Broderick - 'Docile'
47. The Cocteau Twins 'Treasure'
48. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - ' Fever to Tell'
49. Metallica - 'The Black Album'
50. Tears For Fears - 'Songs from the Big Chair'

This was my little list of twenty-five.

1. The Wall (Pink Floyd)
2. Abbey Road (The Beatles)
3. Blue (Joni Mitchell)
4. Music from Big Pink (The Band)
5. "The White Album" (The Beatles)
6. Moondance (Van Morrison)
7. Let It Bleed (The Rolling Stones)
8. The Songs of Leonard Cohen (Leonard Cohen)
9. Led Zeppelin II (Led Zeppelin)
10. Who's Next (The Who)
11. Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder)
12. The Heart of Saturday Night (Tom Waits)
13. Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones)
14. The Stranger (Billy Joel)
15. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
16. The Band (The Band)
17. Layla and Other Love Songs (Derek and the Dominos)
18. On the Track (Leon Redbone)
19. Glass Houses (Billy Joel)
20. Madman Across the Water (Elton John)
21. Underground (Thelonious Monk)
22. The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart (Bob Newhart)
23. Lyle Lovett & HIs Large Band (Lyle Lovett)
24. Ingénue (k.d. lang)
25. American Graffiti Soundtrack (various artists)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I thought Greatest Hits albums weren't allowed. I probably would have had a bunch of greatest hits albums on my list if I knew they were eligible.
Have no clue why i allowed that to be honest, wasn't thinking. I did allow Hashtag to have Greatest Hits because he doesn't really listen to Albums and he took the time to send one, plus it was right at the end so it just meant they'd be on the overall list rather than the countdown.

My Rando Music List

25. Midnight Oil - Diesel & Dust
24. Tom Waits - Bone Machine
23. Outkast - Aquemini
22. Ke$ha - Animal
21. Lloyd Banks - Hunger For More

20. Def Leppard - Hysteria
19. Black Box - Dreamland
18. Jesse Johnson - Revue
17. Anet - Tortured
16. Dokken - Back For The Attack

15. Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
14. Duran Duran - Rio
13. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - The Soundtrack
12. Kiss - Love Gun
11. Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

#10.
Richard Wagner - Das Rheingold
Original Release Date: September 22, 1869

The Gods Enter Valhalla

#9.
Rolf Zuckowski - Winterkinder
Original Release Date: November 11, 1987

Batman Dances To Deutsch Christmas Music (Made this list during my Batman phase, that feels like 19 years ago) Oh, the song translate to "It's Snowing." An all-time bestselling album in Germany. I took German in my college program I graduated from last year.

#8.
Madonna - True Blue
Original Release Date: June 30, 1986

#7.
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Original Release Date: 1974

Hollywood

#6.
Kid Rock - Devil Without A Cause
Original Release Date: August 18, 1998

#5.
Giorgio Moroder - From Here To Eternity
Original Release Date: July 22, 1977

#4.
The Stooges - Fun House
Original Release Date: July 7, 1970

#3.
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Original Release Date: March 23, 1983

Kinda a douche pick, but this ZZ Top entry feels like the perfect album to blast after buying a new car to annoy everybody else on the road

#2.
Daft Punk - Discovery
Original Release Date: February 26, 2001

#1.
INXS - Kick
Original Release Date: October 12, 1987

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagner Ten.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	47785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zuckowski Nine.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	47786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Madonna True Blue 08.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	47787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cluster Seven.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	47788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kid Rock music.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	47789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moroder Five Music.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	47790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stooges Four.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	47791   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZ Top Three.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	47792   Click image for larger version

Name:	dpk.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	47793   Click image for larger version

Name:	inxs1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	47794  

Have no clue why i allowed that to be honest, wasn't thinking. I did allow Hashtag to have Greatest Hits because he doesn't really listen to Albums and he took the time to send one, plus it was right at the end so it just meant they'd be on the overall list rather than the countdown.

Ok, Thanks. I actually feel better knowing that Greatest Hits albums weren't allowed, and that was just a mistake. At least I know that I didn't miss including some albums that would have been on my list.

And Thank You for doing a great job on this countdown. Even though I didn't add much to the final list, it was fun compiling my list, and interesting to see all the artists that I'd never heard of before now.

Ok, Thanks. I actually feel better knowing that Greatest Hits albums weren't allowed, and that was just a mistake. At least I know that I didn't miss including some albums that would have been on my list.

And Thank You for doing a great job on this countdown. Even though I didn't add much to the final list, it was fun compiling my list, and interesting to see all the artists that I'd never heard of before now.
Yeah, we decided against Greatest Hits Albums because they seem like more of a representation of a band than an Album is an individual cohesive work. Obviously that's not always the case but the former would be closer to a Songs Countdown i feel.

Thanks gbg, glad you sent one and popped in from time to time, you hadn't been around in a while and a few including myself were concerned until Citizen said he knows you are fine.

Yeah, we decided against Greatest Hits Albums because they seem like more of a representation of a band than an Album is an individual cohesive work. Obviously that's not always the case but the former would be closer to a Songs Countdown i feel.
When I read about this countdown, it was when I had taken a break from the forum for a while, so I knew that I had only skimmed the thread, and I thought I read that Greatest Hits albums weren't allowed. That's why I was surprised when I saw one show up on someone's list. It's not a big deal. It was more of a curiosity than anything else.

I wasn't surprised at all when I had only one album on the countdown. I know from the song tournaments that most people here don't listen to the same music that I listen to, so I was lucky that I had that Billy Joel album on my list. I like a lot of his albums, so I could have easily picked a different Billy Joel album, and had nothing on the countdown.

Thanks gbg, glad you sent one and popped in from time to time, you hadn't been around in a while and a few including myself were concerned until Citizen said he knows you are fine.
I'm sorry if anyone was worried about me when I was away for a while, but I get stressed out sometimes from work and life in general, and sometimes I just need to take a break from everything and just chill out for a while.

But on the bright side, when I'm not around here, it usually means that I'm spending time watching movies and listening to music that I love.

I like a lot of his albums, so I could have easily picked a different Billy Joel album, and had nothing on the countdown.
Or you could've picked more than one of his Albums and had more than one on the Countdown , here's his other votes:

Billy Joel – An Innocent Man (32 Points, 2 Lists)
Billy Joel - Glass Houses (32 Points, 1 List)
I said to JJ early in the Countdown i'm going to make an effort to explore Country Music and hopefully get into it, i like some Folk so i don't see why not. It's just very American i believe so it's not very relateable to me being from Scotland.

I'm sorry if anyone was worried about me when I was away for a while, but I get stressed out sometimes from work and life in general, and sometimes I just need to take a break from everything and just chill out for a while.
I actually said that when you were brought up, immediately after it i did get briefly concerned after looking at your profile but then Citizen pointed out you're fine. Here's my post saying that if you click it you can see what i was talking about, you were mentioned elsewhere too think the shoutbox. No one was panicking or anything though haha.

Godoggo came back then left again so i assume she just wasn't into it anymore. gbg disappears for months at a time, wouldn't be concerned there either.
But on the bright side, when I'm not around here, it usually means that I'm spending time watching movies and listening to music that I love.

Or you could've picked more than one of his Albums and had more than one on the Countdown , here's his other votes:

Billy Joel – An Innocent Man (32 Points, 2 Lists)
Billy Joel - Glass Houses (32 Points, 1 List)
I considered both of those albums too, but I listen to mostly country music and showtunes, so it was hard enough to find room for one of his albums, let alone 2 or 3 of them. But I couldn't leave him off of my list. He's basically a God here on Long Island.

I said to JJ early in the Countdown i'm going to make an effort to explore Country Music and hopefully get into it, i like some Folk so i don't see why not. It's just very American i believe so it's not very relateable to me being from Scotland.
It's kind of strange that more people don't listen to country music because it's very popular in many parts of the U.S. We see so many country singers winning on shows like "American Idol", "The Voice", and "X Factor", but I can't find many people who actually listen to country music around here.

JJ seems to listen to more of the "outlaw" country, while I listen to more of the "easy listening" country, so we probably didn't have much overlap on our lists.

I actually said that when you were brought up, immediately after it i did get briefly concerned after looking at your profile but then Citizen pointed out you're fine. Here's my post saying that if you click it you can see what i was talking about, you were mentioned elsewhere too think the shoutbox. No one was panicking or anything though haha.
I'm glad nobody was panicking. I wouldn't want to worry anyone over nothing. (Although it's kind of nice to know that some people noticed that I was missing. )

I don't know why, but I rarely read the Shoutbox. I seem to forget that it's there for some reason.

*Barelywhisperbox™

(shhhh, keep it quiet )

Listening to Motorspycho's The Tower and Here Be Monsters back to back, I completely made the wrong choice in album of theirs for my top 50 list.