Do people have quite low attention spans with movies today?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Me and my two friends were going to watch a movie and we all dished out ideas to pick and we ended up settling on Manhunter (1986), which I suggested and have seen before, but wanted to see again, cause I really like it.

About 45-60 minutes in my friends said we have to watch something else, cause this movie is slow and they cannot take it anymore. Which was fine, we ended up another one after that they liked much better, but I was actually quite surprised that they found Manhunter to be too slow.

But what do you think?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Maybe we can't judge them after one movie, after all different people have different tastes.

But yes probably the youth of today have lower attention spans than ever before. I'm sure there will be some study out there to back this up.

Young people nowadays have a lot of prejudices for old movies, some other expectations I guess and then theyr not even trying to watch it, or maybe just isnt their thing...but gotta ask, what did you watch next?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
We watched Bowfinger (1999) next, which they liked a lot better. I like Bowfinger a lot as well, but still like Manhunter quite a bit.

The truth is in here
Yep, there have been at least a couple movies I thought looked really good, and one of my friends commented on them being "old". Which to me is just confusing, since that doesn't make a movie worse or better. There are so many old gems out there I still have yet to discover that it feels depressing hearing that.

Me and my two friends were going to watch a movie and we all dished out ideas to pick and we ended up settling on Manhunter (1986), which I suggested and have seen before, but wanted to see again, cause I really like it.

About 45-60 minutes in my friends said we have to watch something else, cause this movie is slow and they cannot take it anymore. Which was fine, we ended up another one after that they liked much better, but I was actually quite surprised that they found Manhunter to be too slow.

But what do you think?
I'm one of those saying tit depends on the mood. Some nights you just don't want anything heavy, and Manhunter is heavy. I wouldn't call it slow...it engages heavily on a different level and there's a lot of subliminal stuff going on, even by way of colour palette. But if bro's are out for a good time, Manhunter ain't gonna do it.

The truth is in here
Oh right, could be that as well. Sometimes I just need a good comedy, other times I want something more serious, maybe thrilling. I feel like dramas are something I can always watch, since they usually put you in a contemplative nice mood.

Yeah, I always watch comedies with my friends, we can watch Superbad countless number of times and it is always funny. I like watching dramas when I feel kinda sad, depressed, the ones that will put me in a good mood, inspiring dramas

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm one of those saying tit depends on the mood. Some nights you just don't want anything heavy, and Manhunter is heavy. I wouldn't call it slow...it engages heavily on a different level and there's a lot of subliminal stuff going on, even by way of colour palette. But if bro's are out for a good time, Manhunter ain't gonna do it.

But what do you think?
That's a shame – I like Manhunter as well.

I wonder if it's a difficulty in being able to concentrate on one thing, which is perhaps not quite the same as a low attention span – you can get bored or disinterested in something without there being a distraction.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yeah, I'm young(ish) and Love Exposure is one of my fav films. Most of my friends have no issue watching longer movies, but a lot of them instantly discredit it if it's old. Which to some is the 1980s. A lot of them flat out refuse to watch a subtitled film as well.

Why not quote my favorite director?

What would you like to tell to young people?

I don’t know… I think I’d like to say only that they should learn to be alone and try to spend as much time as possible by themselves. I think one of the faults of young people today is that they try to come together around events that are noisy, almost aggressive at times. This desire to be together in order to not feel alone is an unfortunate symptom, in my opinion. Every person needs to learn from childhood how to be spend time with oneself. That doesn't mean he should be lonely, but that he shouldn't grow bored with himself because people who grow bored in their own company seem to me in danger, from a self-esteem point of view.
-- Andrei Tarkovsky

It seems like everyone I know (including movie fans) haven't watched a movie in years.
It's starting to feel like that in my case. One thing that is definite is that I don't watch films as they come out and it sometimes takes me a while to get round to them.

Remember when people watched black and white movies? What was that about? No color? Get some cash together. Buy a color tv you plebeian.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's starting to feel like that in my case. One thing that is definite is that I don't watch films as they come out and it sometimes takes me a while to get round to them.
I have time, but I don't have much control when it comes to watching a movie. If I try, most times I change it after 15 minutes. What was appealing yesterday usually isn't the next day.

I have time, but I don't have much control when it comes to watching a movie. If I try, most times I change it after 15 minutes. What was appealing yesterday usually isn't the next day.
I have the time but very rarely the inclination .

A quote:

You see so many movies... the younger film makers who are coming from MTV or who are coming from commercials and there's no sense of film grammar. There's no real sense of how to tell a story visually. It's just cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, you know, which is pretty eas
y....Peter Bogdanovich