Midnight Sleepover Viewings with Nostromo87

→ in
Tools    

Gotta find a way to have a fun time. Despite getting our new list going as host, hafta as best I can fight the sense that I'm botching it all. Then I'll know I gave it a good shot, and along the way encouraged everyone to have a good time themselves as well.

Midnight Sleepover Viewings with Nostromo87

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleepover.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	51069  

Fright Night (1985)

While viewing Scars of Dracula in his bedroom, Charlie Brewster (William Ragsdale), the teenage hero, is interrupted as he looks through his bedroom window and sees his new neighbor Jerry Dandridge bite deeply into a ripe brunette nymphet. The kid has no choice but to enlist the help of downtrodden and aging vampire hunter Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who's been fired from his TV station's horror show. Particularly with the special FX of Richard Edlund, the movie has some terrific visual dynamics. The casting of Jonathan Stark as Billy Cole, the friend of the vampire- That's my favorite part of the movie and always makes the movie watchable. Despite that, it is a mixed-bag of a horror movie for me. Dandridge's vampire (Chris Sarandon) has a very Seinfeld kinda-thing going on, complete with those bum-bow-bow sound effects that take the viewer right out of the story. Evil Ed (Stephen Geoffreys) provides an overacted teenage-Jack Torrance performance. It's a mix of scenes that are great, along with ones that are nothing to me- such as Dandridge chasing the kids in the alley, creating an anomaly of a movie. As Charlie Brewster, no one believes you. Not your Mom. Not your girlfriend. Addressed in an effective and fresh way as a depiction of supernatural vampirism, restoring a streak of inventiveness to the lore of vampires. The sequel, released in 1988, is also a fun movie.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

"Fright Night"

Attachments

Name:	Fright Night.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	51075  

i really like this film, even the movie poster still frightens me

Graduation Day (1981)

Prompt hook to the film, as the star of the track team at Midvale High, Laura Ramstead, collapses DEAD after crossing the finish line and winning the race. The highly successful and revered track coach gets heat for pushing the kids too hard, he's played by Christopher George (City of The Living Dead, The Exterminator, El Dorado, and TV series The Rat Patrol, The Immortal, and Charlie's Angels). The film puts its pulse squarely on the price of our highly competitive nature, I like that a lot. Other members of the track team start disappearing too, as it's growing close to graduation for the seniors. Laura's older sister, Anne, comes back to town from her career in the Navy and consoles her sister's fiance, Kevin. Linnea Quigley shows up too- In contrast to the circumstances, she never showed up to class, so she can pass she flatters her music teacher, taking off her shirt like in all her 80's movies.

The mystery of who the revenge killer is, that's well-played. The killer's identity is concealed, keeping you guessing as it could be several of the main personalities. There's also a great montage song/scene with a band playing at a graduation party, with kids roller skating, having a ball, and fooling around in the woods outside. It's a "high school students in the 80s" movie, with lots of big hair, tight pants, and cool elements packed-in, beheadings, raw kill scenes, and choppy cutting. The championship track coach learns how in public life, you're only as good as your last mistake. This earned $24,000,000 at the Box Office in 1981, on a budget of only $25,000. Probably not THIS good, but It's Me, found it a memorable slasher that deserves more attention. That's Graduation Day.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Attachments

Name:	Graduation Night.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	51146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graduation Day 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	51147  

Calling ya out Freddy. You structurally ripped off Graduation Day (1981) when you car-jacked the original Elm Street kids at the end of your movie in 1984. Come out and show yourself YOU BASTARD! Laff

Attachments

Name:	freddys revenge 01.jpg
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	51162  

How do I not own This Album?

"Don't Sleep"

Oh, it's only available on Vinyl. Clearly inferior quality to the best New School format, Cassette Tapes! @cat_sidhe

Night Of The Demons 2 (1994)

Starring Christine Taylor as Terri, her friends Bibi and Shirley (Zoe Trilling *hot*), some boys they're interested in Kurt & Johnny, and book-freak Perry who's consumed with his "Ghoulie book" and combating demonology. Sister Gloria and Father Bob have to look after the students, adding intriguing humor. Sequels to horror movies made in the 90s, based on ones from the 80s, didn't do all that great really. Anyhow, this Night Of The Demons 2 sequel from 1994 did well bringing that style blended with a 90s flair. The troubled teen students at St. Rita's School chitchat about a haunted house up the road while getting ready for a dance party. Right at the end of old Hull Road. Every so often some kids venture out there on a dare. Some claim to have actually heard the swishing of the hostess and her long black wedding dress as it sweeps against the mildewed walls. Others claim to have actually seen her, now a demon. Floating on the long dark hallways. And some, never come back at all.

The hostess from the first Night Of The Demons movie, Angela, her sister Melissa is around this time. The other girls mockingly call her "Mouse," as she is traumatized by her sister's disappearance which led to her parents to off themselves, leaving Melissa at this school for the troubled youth. The kids who call themselves "The A-List," Terri, Shirley, Bibi, Kurt, and Johnny setup a party at Hull House and trick Melissa into coming along as a virgin lamb offering to the haunted house. A wildly entertaining night plays out, the "A-listers" are some nasty people, or at least some of them. Especially Shirley, the really attractive brunette, she's hotter than Christine Taylor in the movie. They meet some big punks at the house, Rick and Z-Boy, who drop some music references, "Smell like teen spirit." "Teen spirit my azz, smells like Godzilla's butthole." Instantly therefore I was naturally very favorable towards the movie over the first half of the runtime, the fun kept going but it also got crazier and crazier complete with Holy Water uzie water guns and Holy Water water balloons to challenge the demons. The opening forty-five minutes had me thinking favorite, then as it played out I couldn't mistake it for an actual great movie, but it is a fun view. A passage into the inner sanctum and threshold of infinity.

Jones Street

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Attachments

Name:	NightOfTheDemons2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	51511  

How come I haven't been invited to any of these midnight sleepover viewings?

Love the write-ups. I think Fright Night would probably be one of my favorite horror movies if I'd seen it an early age. Still think it's great. It won't be on my ballot, but I hope it makes the Horror Countdown. Don't remember much about Graduation Day except the opening scene, numerous close-ups of a stopwatch, and that (admittedly fun) sequence with the band. I like Night of the Demons, but I've yet to watch the sequel.

@Captain Spaulding Yea man. Was wondering where you've been. Could ask the same question of myself there again, sometimes. Come party it up!

Attachments

Name:	dnce2.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	51588  

Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)

Four years after the possession, the film begins with actor Richard Burton exorcising a South American "healer" girl wearing white in the midst of a hazy larger crowd of women. A trippy movie, Richard Burton plays Father Philip Lamont, a man of the church, who works with Doctor Gene Tuskin (Louise Fletcher) Reagan's mother, to treat now 18-year-old Linda Blair and dissolve her trauma. They hook into bio-feedback hypnotic strobes to bring the two altered states of Reagan at 18 and Reagan under the spell of the ancient demon Pazuzu locked within into synchronization. In the initial treatment, Reagan and her mother Gene are hypnotized into forgetting the treatment, in theory, while Burton's Lamont retains. That's the launchpoint of the film, of who remembers what, based on the treatment given. While this didn't play out as clearly as I'd have liked, Pazuzu, King of the Spirits of the Air, that bastard's back. There's flashbacks to Sydow, and the tribes in the desert that awoke the demon, along with a Pre-Vader James Earol Jones appearance, even. The story points towards a world-mind based on modern-scientific research. Frightful and fascinating spellcasting relative to today's internet and groupthink trends. Dynamic pace and cut structure- I'd have loved improvements there, which led to theatrical playback issues, in spite of the drawbacks Exorcist II: The Heretic turned hit me as brilliant in flashes provoking imagination and wonder.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Regan's Theme

Attachments

Name:	Exorcist II img.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	51864  

Nightmare Sisters (1988)

Marci, Mickey, and Melody are three outcasts of the Tri Eta Pi sorority, and the three girls throw a house party while all the other sisters are away. It's Saturday night, and they're sick of their hobbies - Mickey's overweight and loves to cook, Melody (Linnea Quigley) is really into lame music, and Marci's obsessed with buying lots of strange junk from a street market including what turns out to be a possessed crystal ball. The three call a disfavored and shy boy in a fraternity named Kevin who Melody knows from class, and get him to bring his two super-dork friends over for the party... and even they aren't thrilled to have to party with Melody and "the two Gorgon sisters." What starts out as totally clumsy and awkward gets a lot more interesting when Marci incants the six names of power into her junky crystal ball from the street market - Elohim! Adonai! Zemoath! Elian! Zaday! Catchogramaton! The six all hold hands, and since they don't break the circle, a spirit in the crystal removes the veil between this world and the next and inhabits the three girls Marci, Mickey, and Melody, transforming their personalities and appearance from unkempt screwups into ridiculously attractive succubuses whose clothes have mysteriously vanished. It's a really REALLY engaging and sexually charged transformation scene at the midpoint, which becomes more interesting when Phil and two other older guys from Kevin's fraternity snoop around the Tri Eta Pi sorority house as the three sisters develop an appetite for mortal males. Phil and his elitist buddies have GOT to steal Kevin's thunder with this turn of fortune for the lesser thought-of fraternity initiates, leading to a karmic surprise for the snobbish elder bros. The final third's ridiculously half-assed, somewhat regretfully. Still, I had a great time watching the film from a very cool time for having fun and watching movies. Head over to 943 Sorority Row for an awesome and unusual party.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Attachments

Name:	NightmareSisters.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	51928  

I've always been put off watching Exorcist II but I'll try and squeeze it in before the countdown. Nice review Nos.
While the movie was kind of a jumble sometimes, there were amusing scenes too, I dug the music, plus Linda Blair made the film enjoyable- humor, she looks super good, nice rack. And I've always been pleased with actor Richard Burton as well, who's in some cool history movies I like.

Unregistered User
While the movie was kind of a jumble sometimes, there were amusing scenes too, I dug the music, plus Linda Blair made the film enjoyable- humor, she looks super good, nice rack. And I've always been pleased with actor Richard Burton as well, who's in some cool history movies I like.

Sounds good enough for me.