Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men: Apocalypse

INTRO: I'm a huge fan of X Men as you may know already, so X Men Apocalypse was a film I was looking forward to. Many people believe that Days Of Future Past is better, but I'm of a different approach.

SUMMARY: Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshiped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel's X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto, to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven with the help of Professor X must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.

THE GOOD: Apocalypse is a fun film. I'll begin by talking about the new additions. Sophie Turner takes over as Jean Grey and I think she does a solid job. It's hard to replace Famkee Janssen as she totally worked in the role, but she does bring her own spin and it's good fun to watch. Tye Sheridan is also good as Cyclopes and holds his own against Jean Grey. But the real star for me was Oscar Issac as Apocalypse. Fan-****ing-tastic performance as Apocalypse. Really intimidating and a brilliant villain. He's someone that you can really feel could defeat The X Men and win the battle in the end.

THE BAD: Jennifer Lawrence is really disappointing in this film. For some reason I just felt she let the side down here and didn't really deliver a strong performance. There's also in my eyes a lack of visual style or tone in this film. Perhaps it needed a fresh DP or new visual effects perhaps.

OVERALL: X Men: Apocalypse serves as a stellar sequel to Days Of Future Past. A mixture of fun new performances, terrifying villains, and a fresh once of energy, its a film that keeps the X Men Franchise strong and stable for the years ahead. An underrated gem.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Doctor Strange

INTRO: Another MCU film to review, as if there wasn't enough already to muster through. I never saw this one in cinemas as this was more a DVD viewing for my taste. And I only watched it to prepare for Infinity War. But hey, It's Doctor Strange.

SUMMARY: Marvel's "Doctor Strange" follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City's Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilising a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

THE GOOD: For starters, Benedict Cumberbatch is good in the role, playing a somewhat vanilla version of Tony Stark. It's a good character to watch, and Cumberbatch certainly nails that aspect of the character down well. The visual effects are unique for the film, blurring the different realities & realms in a more mind**** type of way. I also felt the story was well paced in this, as well as well written at times.

THE BAD: The Villain was pretty dull, as our most Marvel villains in the MCU. Nothing against Mads Mikkelsen, he's proven before that he can do great villains. But here, he's got nothing to really work with in terms of a personality.

OVERALL: Doctor Strange is a solid flick which adds more dimension to the MCU. The effects are strong, acting solid, and is overall an entertaining flick.

RATING: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Miseducation Of Cameron Post

INTRO: I recently went to the Sundance Film Festival in London, seeing a selection of films over the weekend that were screened in Sundance this year. One of which was Chloe Grace Moretz starring in a very interesting story about gay conversion therapy. In 1993, a teenage girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy centre by her conservative guardians.

CAST: For one, the cast for me is terrific. Chloe Grace Moretz is very good as Cameron Post, playing a character who is so confused and slightly scared by the situation she's put in. Sasha Lane is also solid too, playing a looser disinterested character. Some of the darker characters are played by the adults. Jennifer Ehle is very good as the leader of the camp, and a character who very much wields control in the therapy centre, leading to some very unfortunate and sad situations.

SUBJECT MATTER: Gay Conversion Therapy was a huge thing in the US and has left a real mark on the LGBT community as a result. I found the story an honest portrayal, of the control and techniques used to mind**** and confuse these kids into regressing their true feelings. I don't know if Gay Conversion Therapies are still around, but this is a real eye-opener to how these practices were conducted. The ending, however, is hopeful and leaves it open to the imagination for the audiences to speculate what happens next.

OVERALL: The Miseducation Of Cameron Post is a great indie flick with a strong subject matter and great upcoming ensemble. The film isn't overtly political but is informative about what went on 25 years ago, and I think is a film that will reach a major audience.

RATING: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Hamlet (1996)

INTRO: I've never been a Shakespeare fan, so coming across this was merely a run in really. I was aware that people were praising this film, so I decided to give it a look.

SUMMARY: Hamlet, son of the king of Denmark, is summoned home for his father's funeral and his mother's wedding to his uncle. In a supernatural episode, he discovers that his uncle, whom he hates anyway, murdered his father. In an incredibly convoluted plot--the most complicated and most interesting in all literature--he manages to (impossible to put this in exact order) feign (or perhaps not to feign) madness, murder the "prime minister," love and then unlove an innocent whom he drives to madness, plot and then unplot against the uncle, direct a play within a play, successfully conspire against the lives of two well-meaning friends, and finally take his revenge on the uncle, but only at the cost of almost every life on stage, including his own and his mother's.

THE GOOD: I think when you're working on Shakespeare text, the performances tend to amplify to another level. Kenneth Branagh in particular is very good, and leads the film brilliantly. Other performances include Kate Winslet & Derek Jacobi also, who give noteworthy performances. The Production Design is also very impressive. I loved the design of the halls, the throne room, and the corridors in particular. I liked the fact that it combined late 1600s design, with contemporary design at the same time. It was a nice blur.

THE BAD: I found the running time a little too long. It goes over three hours and tends to drag at points, especially at the end. I'm aware that this is quite a faithful adaptation to the source material, but it did drift at several points and I was left pretty bored.

OVERALL: Hamlet is a good film, even if flawed. Kenneth Branagh delivers a strong adaptation to Shakespeare's classic, and gives a great ensemble cast to the audience.

RATING: 83% - A-

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Miseducation Of Cameron Post

INTRO: I recently went to the Sundance Film Festival in London, seeing a selection of films over the weekend that were screened in Sundance this year. One of which was Chloe Grace Moretz starring in a very interesting story about gay conversion therapy. In 1993, a teenage girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy centre by her conservative guardians.

CAST: For one, the cast for me is terrific. Chloe Grace Moretz is very good as Cameron Post, playing a character who is so confused and slightly scared by the situation she's put in. Sasha Lane is also solid too, playing a looser disinterested character. Some of the darker characters are played by the adults. Jennifer Ehle is very good as the leader of the camp, and a character who very much wields control in the therapy centre, leading to some very unfortunate and sad situations.

SUBJECT MATTER: Gay Conversion Therapy was a huge thing in the US and has left a real mark on the LGBT community as a result. I found the story an honest portrayal, of the control and techniques used to mind**** and confuse these kids into regressing their true feelings. I don't know if Gay Conversion Therapies are still around, but this is a real eye-opener to how these practices were conducted. The ending, however, is hopeful and leaves it open to the imagination for the audiences to speculate what happens next.

OVERALL: The Miseducation Of Cameron Post is a great indie flick with a strong subject matter and great upcoming ensemble. The film isn't overtly political but is informative about what went on 25 years ago, and I think is a film that will reach a major audience.

Oh wow I hadn't heard of this but will keep an eye out. I think Chloe is an outstanding young talent and the theme is horrifying. I never knew much about the "therapy" until AHS asylum and The Danish Girl. It left me visibly distressed to think humans could do that to another.

I enjoyed reading your review, MM.

Yeah this was a real surprise to me. Chloe is good in it, and the story behind this is she pulled out of The Little Mermaid remake to do this film.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Solo: A Star Wars Story

INTRO: The latest in the Star Wars Saga has the toughest of times. Following the onslaught that was The Last Jedi, which left the Star Wars fandom bitterly divided. Can Solo heal the wounds, or just make them worse?

SUMMARY: With the emerging demand of hyperfuel and other resources, Han Solo finds himself in the middle of a heist alongside other criminals, where they meet the likes of Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian in an adventurous situation exposing the criminal underworld of the Star Wars saga.

THE GOOD: For me, Solo was a fun ride to watch. Action sequences above par, chase scenes fun and exciting to watch, and I wasn't bored. Not in the slightest. And for me that's a good indicator that the film delivers. Not Bored = Pass mark. There are some good moments in the film, especially that cameo that I won't reveal because it was so out of the blue.

THE BAD: Phoebe Waller Bridge has arguably the worst character in recent Star Wars memory. Annoying, in your face, terrible attitude, and very SJW. I begin now to understand why Jar Jar Binks is so loathed nowadays. Then there is the fact that the film's narrative hardly exists, or that its so watered down that it lacks any unique plot points or narrative style. We're just following Han Solo around for a few hours and that's about it. Nothing really exciting or new to know that this film gives to us.

OVERALL: Solo A Star Wars Story is fine, but not a film nessacary to see. It's for Star Wars fans, sure, but not one that adds anything new to the mythos, or reveal anything unique about Han Solo. But entertaining, none the less.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Sing

INTRO: This was a film I didn't have much expectations in whatsoever. I saw it simply because it looked pretty fun, and had a big cast attached to it.

SUMMARY: In a town with no humans, just animals, a koala named Buster Moon realizes he will soon lose his theater if he cannot turn his luck around. He comes up with a plan to host a singing competition, where the winner will receive $1,000. Will this be enough to return his theater to glory?

CHARACTERS: What you have here is a wide selection of really fun characters to get invested into, channelled by a very strong voice cast of characters. Matthew McConaughey leads as Buster Moon, and really makes an impression. Add in Reese Witherspoon as a suburban mother, who's also a pig with a great little story of her own. Scarlett Johansson plays a punk rock porcupine type character with a douchey boyfriend, and then you have Taron Egerton playing a teenage gorilla, with Idris Elba as his dad. It's a pretty wild, colourful cast and they all come together really well to make a great impression.

MUSIC: It's a jukebox musical so it's mainly covers, but done really well. In particular, it introduces some hilarious moments in the film. Bad Romance performed by a german pig is pretty damn funny to watch. I also liked Seth McFarlane's moments in the film as his soft smooth jazzy voice is hard to resist.

ENJOYMENT: I think with kids animated films, the enjoyment of them is much higher, and I certainly was constantly entertained throughout the film. I loved the world, the humour, the visual joy the film seemed to resonate, and I loved every turn in the film's story.

OVERALL: Sing is just a ball of a fun for a children’s film. The songs are endlessly catchy, the voice work terrific fun, and ends up being one of the most entertaining kids films I’ve seen in some time. It’s one for the spotlight.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Boy Downstairs

INTRO: I saw this film at the London Film Festival, just out of habit and spare time to fill. It in itself was not a film that stood out on the listings, but I thought it well enough to see when I could.

SUMMARY: A young woman is forced to reflect on her first relationship when she inadvertently moves into her ex-boyfriend's apartment building.

THE GOOD: I found this to be a good quirky story to watch. The dual narrative idea was a nice touch, and made the flow of the film much more interesting and fun to watch. Zosia Marmet is also good in the lead, playing while quite a cliche character, is still relatable and easy to digest.

THE BAD: I felt that some of the dialogue was quite clunky to listen to. Not very natural and not at times realistic either.

OVERALL: Not a lengthy review here but none the less, The Boy Downstairs is a nice, simply mumblecore film to enjoy without really switching your brain on that much. Good performances, easy story, with a very millennial feel to it.

RATING: 71% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews…The Mummy Returns

INTRO: The first Mummy remake in 1999 was itself a solid flick; Fun, frightening, and still holds up all these many years later. It’s sequel is one of those rare flicks that does the same.

SUMMARY: Many years ago, in Ancient Egypt, the Scorpion King led a menacing army, but when he sold his soul to Anubis, he was erased from history. Now he is only a myth...or is he? Rick and Evelyn O'Connell are still discovering new artifacts, along with their 8 year old son Alex. They discover the Bracelet of Anubis. But someone else is after the bracelet. High Priest Imhotep has been brought back from the dead once again and wants the bracelet, to control the Scorpion King's army. That's not the only problem. Imhotep now has Alex and with the bracelet attached to him, doesn't have long to live.

THE GOOD: For one, I think the action in this film is vastly superior to the first. Much more longer and tense action sequences, taking all the elements that worked in the first film, and adding some new twists & turns along the way. You’re also introduced to new ideas as well, such as the mummy monkeys in the jungle, which when I was younger I found quite intimidating, but now find them hillariously adorable. The story is also stronger, much more evolved and complex at points. The stakes are argueably much higher, and the main characters have a lot more to lose than in the first one.

THE BAD: I do feel at points the dialogue & pace of the film is slightly wonky at points. Not hugely, but several scenes could’ve been written much better than what was shown on screen.

OVERALL: The Mummy Returns is a strong sequel to its predecessor. The action scenes fun, story enjoyable, and a good sense of danger that never really goes away. A high recommend.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews…The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

INTRO: The last Hunger Gams film isn’t a perfect film, but does serve the source material well and ends this gloomy, dark series on a very….well…dark and gloomy note.

SUMMARY: After young Katniss Everdeen agrees to be the symbol of rebellion, the Mockingjay, she tries to return Peeta to his normal state, tries to get to the Capitol, and tries to deal with the battles coming her way...but all for her main goal: assassinating President Snow and returning peace to the Districts of Panem. As her squad starts to get smaller and smaller, will she make it to the Capitol? Will she get revenge on Snow or will her target change? Will she be with her "Star-Crossed Lover," Peeta, or her long-time friend, Gale? Deaths, bombs, bow and arrows, a love triangle, hope... What will happen?

THE GOOD: For one, Jennifer Lawrence shines as always as she did in the last editions of this franchise. Only here is when she really puts in the power of the performance. All her worst fears come to fruition and it takes a severe mental toll on Katniss for the rest of her life. Lawrence is splendid; powerful and real and never afraid to shy away from the true reaction of war. The action scenes are also great, detailing and demonstrating the true effect of war and its horrific effects. It’s not all fake explosions. The bodies, the innocent people, and the sad loss of life that was unnessacary all in the start.

THE BAD: But ultimately, I found the film underwhelming as a whole. Everything after the battle isn’t as interesting, and you can tell some of the story was altered following the sad death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman and it’s quite clearly shown at points. But also, there isn’t much left after the main battle to look at. And therefore, it ends the film slightly on a downer note.

OVERALL: Mockingjay Part 2 is a good film, but ends the series slightly underwhelming for my taste. But strong performances and great action sequences do make it serviceable to say the least.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Phoenix

INTRO: I return to the Hall Of Fame thread with a lot of catching up to do, and this film was the next on my list to watch. And it wasn't the reaction I expected.

SUMMARY: In the aftermath of WWII, Nelly, a Jewish survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp, horribly disfigured from a bullet wound in her face, undergoes a series of facial reconstruction surgeries and decides to find her husband Johnny who works at the Phoenix club in Berlin. Undoubtedly, Nelly is stunning, yet, her new self is beyond recognition, so Johnny, the man who may have betrayed her to the Nazis, will never imagine that the woman in front of him who bears an uncomfortable and unsettling resemblance to his late wife, is indeed her. Without delay, and with the intention to collect the deceased's inheritance, Nelly will go along with Johnny's plot and she will impersonate the dead woman, giving the performance of a lifetime before friends and relatives in a complex game of deceit, duplicity, and ultimately, seduction.

MY THOUGHTS: I'm saddened to say that I didn't like this film that much. I just found it dull overall. The story was badly paced, and its subject matter not very interesting to me. Performances were fine for the most part, but nothing remarkable or stand out. I also felt the score didn't fit with the tone of the film. Too jolly at points, and not capturing the seriousness of the story.

OVERALL: Phoenix is a let down. A film that for me didn't do anything for me in terms of story and subject matter.

RATING: 45% - C+

I took an entire month out of reviewing, but none the less I am now back with some reviews galore in case anyone got bored.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Guardians Of The Galaxy

INTRO: It's so timely this review given the circumstances of the franchise right now with its third instalment, but the first Guardians film to me was a real joy to watch back in 2014 and one that really set itself up as a signature MCU film milestone. It introduced the idea that there was a universe out there.

SUMMARY: After stealing a mysterious orb in the far reaches of outer space, Peter Quill from Earth is now the main target of a manhunt led by the villain known as Ronan the Accuser. To help fight Ronan and his team and save the galaxy from his power, Quill creates a team of space heroes known as the "Guardians of the Galaxy" to save the galaxy.

THE GOOD: For one, the characters in this story are wonderful and colourful. You have a wide range of personalities of different species and viewpoints that really clash together well. Characters like Starlord, played by Chris Pratt or Rocket Racoon, voiced by Bradley Cooper, who all add a new dimension and flavour to the MCU. You also have gorgeous visual effects that build the world up so much that by the end of the film, it takes a life of its own.

THE BAD: I do feel at points that the film can be a bit too formulaic at points. You predict what's going to happen too often, and it tends to make the film slightly less remarkable at times. The prison sequence I'd argue was a bit too long, and the ending sadly a little too comedic for my taste.

OVERALL: Guardians Of The Galaxy is a good film overall. I loved the cast, the effects and the expansion of the MCU. It's a solid flick.

RATING: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Gangs Of New York

INTRO: Martin Scorsese's filmography is one of the impressive in Cinema. Dark, gritty and deadly cinema that hooks you and shocks you and leaves a long-lasting impression on the viewer. So with Gangs Of New York, expectations were extremely high for this film as I've been wanting to see this since it's release. Yes, 8 year old me tried and failed to get into Gangs Of New York.

SUMMARY: In the god-forsaken district of early-1860's Lower Manhattan known as the Five Points, the vicious Nativist, Bill "The Butcher" Cutting, is the supreme overlord of an area riddled with crime, prostitution, theft and murder, as the American Civil War still rages on. Sixteen whole years after the brutal murder of his father from Bill's blood-stained hands, an orphaned Irish-American, Amsterdam Vallon, returns to this melting pot of corruption to avenge his untimely death; however, a lot has changed since then. Who can remember the once innocent boy and now a young man bent on revenge, who works his way up to the hierarchy of Five Points? Will Amsterdam ever taste the dangerous but sweet fruit of retribution?

THE GOOD: Gangs Of New York is a mammoth of a film. A truly giant sprawling story of gangs and conflict in a deeply troubled time. The first thing to compliment is the costumes. Very real, very authentic, and gritty. With only the wealthy side getting to show off the more fancy costumes.

THE BAD: I personally felt the ending was very anticlimactic, which was a real disappointment for me. You’re lead to believe that this big epic brawl is going to end the movie out, but instead it sort of goes a different direction which is sadly too quick and too sudden. And it sucks. Because both the performances and the story lead you to believe something big and epic is about to happen. And it doesn’t.

OVERALL: Gangs Of New York is a strong striking film from Martin Scorsese. It’s thrilling, well performed and rich in design and creativity. A solid one in Martin’s bank.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Eighth Grade

INTRO: One of the gems of Sundance is easily Bo Burnham’s debut feature Eighth Grade, a very brilliant portrayal of the transition of high school, and the early blossom of puberty. Watching this in London, I knew I was seeing something special.

SUMMARY: An introverted teenage girl tries to survive the last week of her disastrous eighth grade year before leaving to start high school.

LEAD: One of the winners of this film is its lead performance by rising star Elsie Fisher. A striking, brilliant young talent who easily captures the awkwardness, anxiety, and curiosity of growing up and dealing with elementary school life, prior to entering the realm of high school. I found her performance wonderful and real at the same time. You feel for her, are scared with her, and hoping for a comfortable and happy resolution as the film moves on.

REALISTIC & FUNNY: This is a film that really is relevant to now. Everything we see is something we can somewhat identify with: The distraction of technology, the awkwardness of interaction, the struggles to fit up and be identified in the way we wish to be. It’s both hilarious and also kind of sad in a way. I think it captures human relationships of the modern day very well: The detachment from adults, the eagerness to fit in with your pears, and venture into unknown territory.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Watching the next generation dig themselves further into their phones and not have actual meaningful conversations. It’s a sad state where social media and the internet becomes the dominant way of communication. The way the film highlights this blind obsession young people have with it is quite scary. I think Kayla (Elsie Fisher) is one of those characters is very much lost and struggling to find a path. Her arc through this film is woven into what she’s trying to achieve into social media: her motivation videos with barely a view, and yet she struggles with the same struggles in her reality.

OVERALL: Eighth Grade is arguably one of the best films depicting high school I’ve ever seen. From the awkwardness of oncoming puberty, the cruelty of children and your peers, and struggling to find out who you really are. I highly recommend.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Never Goin Back

INTRO: Never Goin Back was a film I never intended to see. But so glad that I did because what I received was a warm wonderful adventure of fun and chaos. And one I won’t be affecting anytime soon.

SUMMARY: Jessie and Angela, high school dropout BFFs, are taking a week off to chill at the beach. Too bad their house got robbed, rent's due, they're about to get fired, and they're broke. Now they've gotta avoid eviction, stay out of jail and get to the beach, no matter what.

LEADING LADIES: What really won me over about this film is the central leads of this small but lively indie. Maia Mitchell & Camila Munroe both set the screen alight and create a fantastic duo that are just super wonderful to watch. Funny, selfish, lazy, as well as having a little bit of a crush on each other at points, they’re the most fun I’ve ever watched in a film in a very long time.

CRAZY SET OF EVENTS: This film’s plot is just plain nuts. A random sequence of events that just spills over on top of each other, and our characters just need to deal with each one over and over again. Again, absolute fun to watch and complete chaos on screen. The film presents just how wild, fun and all the crazy characters you can find in small town America and the type of antics they get up to.

OVERALL: Never Goin Back is an absolutely mad, bonkers, crazy, yet fun film with two brilliant leads. It takes a small town and transforms it into a fun world full of parties, adversaries and obstacles for these two bored young adults to navigate and escape. Fun with a capital F.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Raw

INTRO: I've been waiting to watch this film for some time now and when finally getting the chance, I was so eager for something new and fresh from international horror for some time.

SUMMARY: Justine is a first-year veterinary student. Her elder sister is studying the same course at the university. Justine was raised a strict vegetarian but, as part of the hazing rituals, is forced to eat meat. Initially, this has adverse effects but she soon develops a craving for meat...particularly human flesh.

THE GOOD: There's a lot of good to take from this film. For one it's the lead who is a newcomer to the screen. Garance Marillier is so absorbing to watch on screen, and really is a character going through a mental and physical hell, from beginning to end. I love her emotional, her confusion, and her darkness that comes out in spectacular and brutal ways. The story itself is rather fun and fascinating to watch, tackling university life, growing pains, acceptance and addiction. It's all very exciting and off-putting at points too.

THE BAD: For a horror film, it isn't very...well...horrifying to say the least. As much as the story is mysterious and unusual, I didn't get the sense that it was that scary. I found that its supernatural elements outshone the horror and terror aspects of the story, leaving me slightly unsure of its genre.

OVERALL: Raw is a film that I really enjoyed and produced some really interesting rising stars in French cinema, both in front and behind the camera. It's also very creative, well shot and well performed.

RATING: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...A Star Is Born

INTRO: Never really considered seeing this film until some spare time and a little curiosity triggered by awards season caused me to venture out and see this film.

SUMMARY: Seasoned musician Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper) discovers-and falls in love with-struggling artist Ally (Gaga). She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer - until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally's career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.

IT'S GOOD: For me, this film was solid. It was well shot and had a really good style towards it. To start with the stars. Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga are both very good, and have a very believable chemistry that shines very well on screen. Throughout the story, they each understand one another, grow in love more, and begin to build something new in each other as a result of their relationship. I also like the music, and the realistic take on the entertainment industry in Hollywood. How self-destruction is easy, expectations are high, and the high amount of manipulative people that can make things just that little bit more worse.

OVERALL: A Star Is Born is a good film to watch. It contains great themes, powerful and real central performances, and is a modern story of love, addiction and trust.

RATING: 83% - A-