The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

Tabulating the overnight votes brings us to twenty-six ballots received, three movies firmly over 300-points each, four more in the 200-point range, and twenty-five with at least a hundred. 190 different titles have received votes.

And think about arming yourself if you're gonna decorate your saloon with my friend.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sent mine in earlier, can't wait for this. It was probably the hardest list I've had to compose in terms of deciding how to rank the films. The top 20 were pretty interchangeable.

Two more ballots so far this morning: 28 total tabulated, there are three titles that have amassed over 300 points so far, six more with 200+, seventeen that have at least a 100, nine more with at least 75 points, 194 different films have gotten at least one vote.

There is a running list of ballots received on the second post of this thread. When you see your name added there it means I have tabulated your votes on the spreadsheet. You are official.

Another ten to fifteen ballots will already yield a really strong, interesting Top 50. Another thirty added to these twenty-eight and we'll have the makings of a respectable Top 100.

Another ten to fifteen ballots will already yield a really strong, interesting Top 50. Another thirty added to these twenty-eight and we'll have the makings of a respectable Top 100.
How are you defining "respectable"? Is it a minimum number of points or votes? Just curious. I doubt many of my picks will have a chance if it's only a top 50.

How are you defining "respectable"? Is it a minimum number of points or votes? Just curious. I doubt many of my picks will have a chance if it's only a top 50.
I like to have the cutoff around 75 points. That means it takes more than just two people putting it at the top of their list for a title to make it, there is some level of consensus where three or five or six people have named a movie somewhere on their ballot. That's why I say it won't take that many more ballots until we have around fifty titles at the 75-point threshold.

As for your personal ballot, I am not going to divulge where titles are right now but I think you'd be happily surprised how many of your choices would make even a Top 50. But if you want to make sure it's a Top 100, pester your MoFo friends to compile a list by Friday. Even if they don't think they are huge Western fans I am confident just about any level of movie fan here on the site can put ten or fifteen titles together, if not the full twenty-five.

Sent my list.
Thanks for the invite, Holden.
Indeed, I got it. I do have a follow up for you to answer in your private messages.

Please everybody remember to include if not the year the movie was released then maybe the star or the director. There are two True Grits, two Magnificent Sevens, two 3:10 to Yumas, etc. Others have very similar titles, like Unforgiven vs. The Unforgiven. The more info you give me it limits how many follow up messages I need to send out to clarify your votes, especially as the deadline approaches. If you don't know the year and don't want to look it up typing out "3:10 to Yuma - Christian Bale" or "The Unfogiven - Burt Lancaster" or "True Grit - Coen Brothers" is all I need.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like to have the cutoff around 75 points. That means it takes more than just two people putting it at the top of their list for a title to make it, there is some level of consensus where three or five or six people have named a movie somewhere on their ballot. That's why I say it won't take that many more ballots until we have around fifty titles at the 75-point threshold.
That might be a bit ambitious - the 100th film on the 1970s Countdown only got 64 points.

A 75 point cut off has never been done. It unfairly weighs the countdown towards the big name westerns that everyone knows, while all the great lesser known westerns will have little chance to make it onto the list. That would make for a predicable & boring countdown list. And worse, it makes our individual choices seem less important.

Diversity and representation of the MoFo community is much more important than limiting the list to the biggies. Unlike the 1970s that you hosted, you won't get as many list. That's why some of the other countdowns with less ballots had a lower number of points, than the more popular countdowns. Some examples...

The 1930s Countdown
had #100 with 31 points
The 1940s Countdown had #100 with 34 points
The 1950s Countdown had #100 with 46 points
Directed by Women Countdown had #100 with 29 points
Documentary Countdown had #100 with 37 points

Take a look at all those countdown links and image all the films that MoFos love, being eliminated if a 75 point threshold was used by those host...I guarantee that the people who choose those films and those who discussed them, found it worth their time to do so.

Yes, it takes more work for a host to do a full 100. If I could do it, so can you...I have faith that you can pull off a full 100 Western Countdown.

75 points is my goal, but I will look at the numbers when all the ballots are in. I would rather keep it at fifty titles than have titles struggling to get in with 29 or 30 points. But we shall see. With the two more ballots I just got and tabulated (we are now at thirty total) the threshold of 40 points takes us through #55.

Fear not, Buckaroos. Just make sure everybody you're friendly with in these here parts turns in a ballot, even a partial of ten or fifteen titles.

Glad to hear that 75 isn't something you're necessarily going to be firm on, because I agree with Citizen that 75 seems like far too high a bar to set.

I got 79 ballots for the Animation Countdown and #100 only had 55 points. Even titles like Lilo & Stitch (which got 7 votes) and Lady and the Tramp (which got 6 votes), failed to get 75 points.