A Problem I Have With Golden Globes & Award Shows In General

Tools    

Its something that finally struck me today after seeing the dull lifeless Golden Golbe Awards Ceremony...Hollywood don't care about us.

Think about it, when it comes to the awards, all they care about is themselves and no one has ever won an award and thought about us the audience. Why has no one thanked us ? The people who saw the film ? Its something that pissed me off today. It seems the people in the business just don't care who sees the film, TV show whatever and just want to pat themselves on the back for all the "Hard Work" they have done.

I find that now, Hollywood seems kind of selfish. The Golden Globes was to me, the equilivant of watching snobbish rich people pat each other on the back for being snobbish and rich. The Films were great dont get me wrong, but thats the feeling i get. A Sense of uncare from the celebs and just no appreciation from the people who went to the cinema and saw the films.

But Gervais came on and told it like it was. God Gervais desevres a seat in power. He tore The Tourist apart (Seriously, Why was that Film Nominated ?) , Praised Boardwalk Empire and Ripped into Scientologists. And the celebs laughed like the gorpless idiots they were.

I seriously have now changed my mood on Award Season, Last year it was glamarous, now this year its annoying and depressing.

P.S. The Social Network is overrated now. It wins everything. Hollywood and its stooge of critics are praising it like its the second coming of Jesus Christ or something. And Inception won nothing. Oh and this whole thing isn't a rant on how Inception never won anything and now i hate award shows. Its because its a bunch of rich people who think now they won some crummy award makes them god's gift to man.

I Hate The Golden Globes.

The only awards show I care about at all is the Oscars. Every other awards show seems to be trying to convince everyone that it's important, which says a lot. I saw a promo for the Grammys yesterday that had the word "LIVE" near the end followed by two exclamation points, for crying out loud.

There are a few too many awards shows, to say the least, and I don't know if there's room for more than one in most places.

Anyway, I agree with most of the rest of what's been said, except for that stuff about The Social Network. I think it deserves most of the praise it's getting, personally.

They chose Ricky Gervais in spite of/because they knew he'd have some barbed comments which would maybe boost the ratings? celebrities having fun poked out of them - not often you see people like that looking uncomfortable when they're used to having people stroking their egos in public. Ah well they must've known what was coming as it is the second year he was hosting it.

I feel obliged to watch The Social Network now with people like Chris saying it deserves praise . I like Fincher, but Facebook

Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure. For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain.

A Hollywood Foreign Press Association member, speaking anonymously with AOL’s PopEater.

I've never really watched the Golden Globes, it really sounds no different than any other awards show ever.

I think in some sense it tries to legitimize the medium of film while at the same time putting it up for ridicule. Then again, there is also the entertainment factor at seeing all the famous people in the same room together responding to each other. There is definitely something fun about seeing that.

Beyond that, however, I don't see very much value to having a myriad of awards shows. It only dilutes the perceived magnitude of the whole bunch.

1. The Oscars is the only one that really matters, hence the phrases, "It's the Oscars of the ..." or "It's the ____ equivalent of the Oscars."

2. I love that quote and really hope it's true as it really shows what Hollywood's all about. Self-important, prima donnas who surround themselves with "yes men" and expect to have their hearts desire the second they have it... And I'm not even talking about the talent.

3. I didn't watch the GG's but it's a shame that it appears Ricky eased off in the second half (or when he returned, whichever way you want to put it.)

4. Lastly, the I Love You Phillip Morris/Scientology joke was the best joke I've heard in ages. It's ok, neither of them were there. I'm betting that's the joke that did the most 'damage'.

Yoda
- But when you have award shows like The Golden Globes making no effort to honour actual talent, it kills the importance of Award Shows and ultimately The Oscars. The Oscars aint perfect by any means but its closest to what a general film audience feel are the best of the year. Also screw all Music Awards. The Grammys used to be good, but not they just stink. Same to all those other award shows. MTV, Kids Choice, People's Choice, Teen's Choice. Its basically for Twilight Fans to scream and praise that Twilight rules the world and bullocks to that.

Reading an article in the guardian has it spot on on Gervais and Hollywood in general
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...-ricky-gervais

But bottom line. Gervais was funny, Hollywood were insulted because they were told the truth. No matter how nice you are to people, fans are important and The Golden Globes and Awards Season in general is a chance to ignore your fans and pat yourselves on the back. Thats for the oscars, only then we tolerate it. With The Golden Globes, the award itself looks like plastic and could easily be tossed in the bin like every other award (Except Oscars, Emmys (Unfortunately) and Baftas).

And The Social Network is a great film, but this constant praise of it in recent months has sort of overrated the film. I now think King's Speech, Toy Story 3 or Inception should take Best Picture just to spite it in a way. Although i doubt it will win a BAFTA for Best Picture.

P.S. The Social Network is overrated now. It wins everything. Hollywood and its stooge of critics are praising it like its the second coming of Jesus Christ or something. And Inception won nothing.
What's this? The Social Network is overrated NOW that it "wins everything". You need an award show for you to decide if it's overrated or not? It needed a bunch of Golden Globes for you to think it's overrated? So if it didn't win everything, you wouldn't think it's overrated?

These awards mean nothing, mate. I hate it when people say: "You should check out that film, it won a bunch of awards". I'll check out a film if it got good reviews and / or if I'm intrigued in it / interested by it. I don't need some ******* award show to tell me this or that film is so good that it deserves praise in the form of some statues.

I'm not having a go at you here, mate, but people need to stop worshipping these awards and that includes the Oscars.

The Oscars i can tolerate because smart people are actually picking who wins the films. But when films like The Tourist, Red & Burlesque are nominated for Golden Globes, that is when the credibility of the award goes down. It should have been
The Kids Are All Right , Toy Story 3 , Scott Pilgrim Vs The World , Easy A & Iron Man 2. Yes Iron Man 2 i would have picked.

The Social Network is everywhere at the moment. Its a great film yes, but all this attention and overexposure makes the film to me like "Its The Greatest Film In 10-20 Years". I just want it to go away until February.

The Oscars i can tolerate because smart people are actually picking who wins the films.
Are you having a laugh, or are you being serious?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure. For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain.

A Hollywood Foreign Press Association member, speaking anonymously with AOL’s PopEater.
hahaa! that's hilarious! nowt like a flouncing journo for entertainment

The Oscars are just as bad. If smart people were involved, why would the nominees, let alone the wins, be based on politics, OR why would 90% of the quality releases be completely ignored, who gives the Oscars the right to say what's "the best", this is exactly why people like Nick Cave ask to be removed from nomination because art is not about what the Oscars or any single award event represent. The credibility of an awards show you speak of goes down the second they decide to have an award show.

All I'm going to say in defense is how the Oscars can do wonders for unknown filmmakers, catapulting them into the big leagues.

However, only certain kinds of filmmakers are ever going to be chosen, so what I say still has conditions attached to it.

It's all just another way to standardize art to make it digestible for the lowest common denominator.

I would have like to seen Up In The Air win For Best Picture over The Hurt Locker. I just honestly can't wait for this to be over so we can return to normality.

What you should ask yourself is what difference it makes to you whether Up in the Air or The Hurt Locker wins. If you truly think Up in the Air is the better film then continue to think so. It is not as if the opinion of the Academy holds any more weight than your own.

For one thing, the Academy never provides any sort of justification, while you can.

By the way, they were both pretty much worthless.