A Problem I Have With Golden Globes & Award Shows In General

Tools    

I would say Avatar was worthless. The Academy represents a lot of people with their own opinions on what was the best film of the year. There is no Politics involved. It was basic opinion that was responsible for the awards.

Maybe Gervais should host the oscars just to piss off Hollywood more and instead of Franco & Hathaway. That is going to be boring.

I just honestly can't wait for this to be over so we can return to normality.
I ask again: Are you having a laugh, or are you being serious?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Academy represents a lot of people with their own opinions on what was the best film of the year. There is no Politics involved. It was basic opinion that was responsible for the awards.

If you took out all the politics and advertising, you might have something approaching that paragraph.

tell me where the politics is in The Oscars. Go on, because to me it is the only time where an award show is enjoyable rather than down right dull. I mean last years wasn't brilliant but it was good.

I mean the politics of Hollywood. Personal likes and dislikes, grudges, nepotism, gladhanding, backslapping, favours (called and owed), etc.

I think Ricky Gervais' joke about the Foreign Press nominating The Tourist just so they could meet Jolie and Depp hurt them the most and, if that quote that Fiscal posted has any truth about it (which it probably doesn't) then that should tell you something about the politics of Hollywood.

I agree with everything originally posted. As I was watching last night, the same thoughts were running through my head. Mostly, I agree with criticism of The Social Network I enjoyed this movie, and it was very well done, however I didn't enjoy that it seemed to take home awards where other films, like Inception, in my opinion, would have been better acknowledged. Hence, I also think it was overrated, and figured that the GGs would continue to show me that. However, the Oscars really is the only award show that matters.

I agree with everything originally posted. As I was watching last night, the same thoughts were running through my head. Mostly, I agree with criticism of The Social Network I enjoyed this movie, and it was very well done, however I didn't enjoy that it seemed to take home awards where other films, like Inception, in my opinion, would have been better acknowledged. Hence, I also think it was overrated, and figured that the GGs would continue to show me that. However, the Oscars really is the only award show that matters.

I don't know what to make of this thread. I did forget about the Globes last night, so that shows that I don't get real into them. I take the Baftas and Oscars a lot more seriously. I wish the Bafta's were on here as a matter of fact.

I guess I don't really see the point. If you're not really into the GG's then why watch them? I was watching football and a couple of great movies.

And why would an award show have anything to do with moviegoers? That makes no sense to me. Besides, you're not paying attention if you think that no one ever thanks the fans. Actors and Actresses thank us all the time.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
One thing the Oscars do right though: They make that film famous forever. People will watch film just because they won an oscar. Most at least.

Semper Fooey
I can't take the GG seriously ever since they named Pia Zadora Most Talented Newcomer (over Kathleen Turner).

One thing the Oscars do right though: They make that film famous forever. People will watch film just because they won an oscar. Most at least.
Doesn't mean the film deserves to live forever
However, the Oscars really is the only award show that matters.
It matters to no one other than the SAG and the film studios looking to budget director A or B more.

Watching the Golden Globes is like watching the NIT. It's just second-tier. No one really gives a crap about it.

I do watch the Oscars every year I get the chance, though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Every major award which was presented at the Golden Globes will be repeated at this year's Oscars. The Globes are becoming notorious for basically "predicting" the winners.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
We loved the show. It was a lot of fun and obviously has a lot of people talking. When you hire a comedian like Ricky Gervais, one expects in your face, sometimes outrageous material. Certainly, in this case, he pushed the envelope and occasionally went too far. The HFPA would never condone some of his personal remarks. Overall, however, the show was among the best we’ve ever had and we were pleased.

I thought he was funny and it shows that the rich people in Hollywood can't laugh at themselves.

Suspect's Reviews