The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I can confirm that none of the one-pointers were mine

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
There's a strong possibility my whole list gets skunked lmao. I think I only picked like 4 films that had even an outside shot of making it.

Ooh Coraline. I'm a sucker for macabre stop-motion films, a niche that's been surprisingly well-carved in the industry.
I am too. That’s why I put it there.

And Jesus this thread is hard to catch up on if you don’t check in several times a day.

And will the three-pointers be showing up on Monday?

Over/under on when the countdown might finish: June 23rd 2021

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Are the two-pointers going to be listed today?
I like this idea! Maybe there's like 25 of them?

I don't think I had a 2 pointer. Pretty sure mine was borderline to make the list, but I think it missed the cut.

Yes, the rumors are true, The 10th Victim (Elio Petri, 1965) was mine! What's not to like? It's a fun satirical romp about sex and violence and love and capitalism, with a cool pop art aesthetic, Rome as a beautiful and symbolic backdrop, a great Piero Piccioni score, and pretty people like Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress!

So happy to see somebody mention this. I saw it for the first time last year and for a minute there, I thought I was the only one that had seen it. This is something I wrote in Corrie back when I saw it...

The 10th Victim (1965) This was really an interesting watch. A film I had heard pretty much nothing about, but that ended up being pretty cool, despite many flaws. Set in a near future where random people are pitted one against the other in a game of hunter/victim (kind of like The Purge, but more contained), the film follows a "hunter" (Ursula Andress) and a "victim" (Marcello Mastroianni), as they play a game of cat-and-mouse. There are so many cool elements that we've seen in other films (a bit of Running Man, a bit of Hunger Games, even some John Wick). Mastroianni is cool-as-ice in his role, and Andress plays the deadly female role pretty well. The film kinda hits a patch in the middle as the inevitable romance between them unfolds, but I thought the last act was pretty solid. I would've finished it 5-10 minutes earlier, but it was good anyway. Grade: B+

I almost put The Match Factory Girl as my 1-pointer, kinda regret not doing it now because I'm pretty sure nobody else would have voted for it and I think the film I did end up putting there might sneak on without my help.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
iight throwing The 10th Victim on my watchlist that looks incredible.

Seen Division:

Worth My Time:
The House on Haunted Hill (1959)---Vincent is on top of his game here.
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)---Kudos to the selector of this pick.
Coraline (2009)---Solid nightmare fuel. Not on board with every move they made, but with maybe 90-95 percent of them.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)---A bit maudlin in the final act, but it does earn it. Strong comedy.
Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)---Basically the film Pretty in Pink wanted to be without any of its problematic elements.
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)---Pfeiffer is lovely and Malkovich can connive with the best of them.

Liked Them, Didn't Love Them:
Dead Poets Society (1989)---When it's good, it's pretty good. But the whole subplot involving Leonard and his parents weighed it down.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)---Some fun can be had with McDormand calling on answers for a while, but the whole redemption arc proved to be too much to bear.
Dallas Buyers Club (2013)---Good performances from McConaughey and Leto helped mitigate the occasional cliches the story suffered from.
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)---It's been forever since I've seen this one, but despite its at times absurdist humor, it didn't click like the first film did.

They Were Alright:
Clay Pigeons (1998)---Another long time ago film. I liked Garofalo as an FBI agent, but the film kinda hit some familiar territory and it wasn't as clever as it thought it was.
Step Brothers (2008)---Ferrell and O'Reilly are good together and there's some genuine laughs (such as Mary Steenbergen cursing). But the film struggled in the third act

Didn't Care for It:
Army of Darkness (1992)---Despite the best efforts of Bruce Campbell and some clever moments, the film veers from the franchise's blend of horror/comedy almost entirely into comedy to ill effect.

Haven't Seen These Division:

Looking Forward to These:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)---Fun film noir with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer with a Shane Black script? Yeah, I'm intrigued.
Malena (2000)---Blame VideoHound for this one, but the description sounds interesting and Monica Bellucci is in this one.
Donnie Brasco (1997)---Tense drama about a cop befriending a mobster while undercover sounds interesting and we apparently have good performances from Depp and Pacino.
The Impostors (1998)---I am a fan of screwball comedy and this feels like it hits the spot.
A Man for All Seasons (1966)---I'm a fan of director Fred Zinnemann and this feels like a showcase for good acting with an interesting story.
The Florida Project (2017)---Sean Baker's first film intrigued me despite some third act issues...his second one featuring Willem Dafoe is on my queue list waiting for me to pull the trigger.
A Ghost Story (2017)---It might be one of those films that might make the second tier (it may well depend on the mood), but its concept and critical acclaim means I do need to see this sooner rather than later.
The Day of the Jackal (1973)---I haven't seen enough 1970s thrillers so far and this one looks promising.
Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)---I've seen several variations of the story, but not the genuine article before. Throw in the Oscars and it may well be worth a watch.

I May Get to These:
Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)---Points for its title. My track record for experimental films is touch and go, however.
The Saddest Music in the World (2003)---The plot does feel intriguing and original. Again, that track record for experimental films stands in the way. Could be one of those "I'll dig it if I see it in the right mood" films.
In This Corner of the World (2016)---Haven't seen enough Japanese animated films, but the ones I have, I have enjoyed. So this one might eventually move up the list.
Zerograd (1989)---Feels like another one of those experimental films, but I gotta admit the description does have me intrigued.
Poison for the Fairies (1984)---For some reason, I'm getting an Alucarda feel from the story, even though it may play more towards witches and not both girls are entirely willing to participate. Did like Alucarda, so maybe?
Sunday in New York (1963)---Interesting cast, but the story just sounds alright.
We Are Marshall (2006)---I know this is based on a true story, but it feels a bit heavy on the cliched side from what I hear. Still I imagine the uplift and Matthew McConaughey might make it a fun watch anyway.
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010)---Feels a bit on the familiar side, but solid action sequences might make it worth my time. Should I hold the Robocop reboot against the director?
Good Manners (2017)---Another Brazilian film, this one feels like something out of Guillermo Del Toro's head at the beginning of his career...and that could be a good thing.
The 10th Victim (1965)---So it's The Running Man, only Arnold's fallen for the person who's trying to kill him. Thankfully, it's Marcello Mastroianni stepping into the fugitive shoes, so maybe?
My Favorite Year (1982)---Peter O'Toole looks good in this as an Errol Flynn type trying to get through a variety series episode. But will that be enough to get me through this? The short runtime might help.

Unlikely I'll Get to These:
Che? (1972)---Outside of the director and lead male star, the story doesn't look like it'll hook me.
Irreversible (2002)---If all you have to offer is ugly violence and one controversial scene that takes a long time to get through, I don't think I'm interested.
Fursonas (2016)---The idea for this is different, but it doesn't look like the sort of thing I seek from my documentaries.
Lolita Torture Vibrator (1987)---May well be the second most interesting title I came across (#1 is the title of a horror film that I will probably be banned from mentioning). But based on the plot description, the answer is no thanks, not interested.

Uh oh, here we go again with the horror debate!!!!
I think there's enough elements in Silence to make it a horror film (although I think it straddles the line with the thriller genre).

Hopefully the genre will be represented in this.

Seen 11 one-pointers:

Irreversible 4/5
Planes, Trains and Automobiles 5/5
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2/5
Dead Poets Society 4/5
Donnie Brasco 3.5/5
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 4.5/5
The Florida Project 3.5/5
Army of Darkness 2.5/5
Some Kind of Wonderful 3/5
Bill and Teds Bogus Journey 4.5/5
Dallas Buyers Club 4/5

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Dangerous Liaisons was my #25. And I almost put something else there that I thought would be more likely to make the one-pointer list! I think it's a well-made adaptation of the book, well-acted, entertaining, a film I have watched several times and never got bored with. I like the modern remake Cruel Intentions as well, but not enough for it to trouble my top 25.

For anyone who doesn’t know about RedLetterMedia they did a re:View on the two Bill and Ted movies and talked a bunch about liking Bogus Journey more.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: definitely underrated. Not sure I'd put it quite on par with the first, but it's shockingly close, at least, which is kinda nuts for both a) a sequel and b) a sequel to something so silly and high concept. I think its highs might be higher, even if its lows are a little lower. It's definitely a lot of fun.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 12 one pointers.

Florida Project was I guess in contention for a possible spot, but it also didn't make my final 40 cut. It's still a top 100 favorite of mine.

Cagliostro is awesome and I nominated it in an animated Hall of Fame at some point. Really underrated Miyazaki.

I just saw Donnie Brasco like a month or two ago and I thought it was really good.

Those would be my top 3 of the ones I've seen. I like parts of Billboards and Ghost Story but they don't 100% come together. Acting would be the highlight of each.

Step Brothers has some super funny moments, but there's other comedies I enjoy more.

Dallas Buyers kind of in the Billboards/Ghost Story territory but liked it a bit less than those.

Planes Trains and Automobiles would be my fourth out of these but I haven't seen it in awhile to see if it holds up.

Dead Poets is decent.

Didn't care for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
One pointers I have seen:

Dead Poet's Society
Castle of Cagliostro
A Man For All Seasons
A Ghost Story
Dallas Buyers Club
Coraline
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Army of Darkness
Dangerous Liaisons (obviously, since that was mine)

I liked Army of Darkness and I thought A Ghost Story was really different and worth seeing, although not a favourite.

I am interested in seeing the 10th Victim though.

The Adventure Starts Here!
One of these days you’ll believe me when I tell you these are typographical errors and not spelling or grammatical errors...

I'm sure they're typos. But that won't stop me from asking you to correct them. Plus, that misspelling of "liaison" is an extremely common one and easy to miss. Plus plus, you had a lot of work with that cool graphic. Props to you for that.

Just being my usual obnoxious self.

lol so now there's 2 and 3 pointers, I thought there was only one, confused here

lol so now there's 2 and 3 pointers?
No.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra