I need some help with mild horror movie suggestions

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw A Bucket Of Blood recently. A very funny dark comedy by Roger Corman

I'll give a Roger Corman movie a try, so I added this to my watchlist.

Thanks for the suggestion.

the entity (1981)
They live (1987)
Prince of darkness ( 1987)
in the mouth of madness (1995)
the fog (1980)
the changeling (1981)

I think Hubby has They Live (1987) on DVD, so I'll check it out.

I already added The Fog (1980) and The Changeling (1981) to my watchlist from previous suggestions.

I'm not familiar with the other movies, but I'll look into them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks to these suggestions and reading through IMDB's list of movies that are tagged as "Horror", I already have a watchlist of over 100 movies, with almost 70 of them ready to watch either on DVD or scheduled to record on my DVR over the next two weeks.

I've already started watching too. I'm trying to watch an assortment of horror types, so I started with Friday the 13th (1980) and The Amityville Horror (1979) for the "real" horror, and a few comedy horrors including Saturday the 14th (1981) and Student Bodies (1981). I even watched the classic horror movie I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), and the horror musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).

Hopefully by the time I'm done, I'll be able to send in a complete list of 25 horror movies that I actually liked.

Thanks you to everyone for all the help.

Thanks to these suggestions and reading through IMDB's list of movies that are tagged as "Horror", I already have a watchlist of over 100 movies, with almost 70 of them ready to watch either on DVD or scheduled to record on my DVR over the next two weeks.

I've already started watching too. I'm trying to watch an assortment of horror types, so I started with Friday the 13th (1980) and The Amityville Horror (1979) for the "real" horror, and a few comedy horrors including Saturday the 14th (1981) and Student Bodies (1981). I even watched the classic horror movie I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), and the horror musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).

Hopefully by the time I'm done, I'll be able to send in a complete list of 25 horror movies that I actually liked.

I'm very interested in how you feel about these.

I'm very interested in how you feel about these.

I thought Friday the 13th (1980) was very boring and predictable. It seemed like the counselors didn't do much between the killings, and there weren't many scary moments. The only real scare in the movie was
WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!!" spoilers below
the scene in the boat at the end of the movie.

The Amityville Horror (1979) was a much more interesting movie, but that might be because I live on Long Island, so I've been hearing the stories about the house all of my life. (FYI, I don't believe the stories, and they seem even more unbelievable after seeing the movie.) I liked the way James Brolin's character changes over the course of the movie. And again, there weren't many scares in the movie, but at least this movie wasn't boring.

Saturday the 14th (1981) was a pretty dumb movie, but at least it's kind of fun. I saw this movie a long time ago, so I pretty much knew what to expect from it, and I wasn't disappointed.

Student Bodies (1981) is basically what a slasher movie should be. It's predictable and stupid, but funny. It's not too graphic, but there's just enough happening on screen to let the viewers know what's going on, without making me want to turn away from the screen. I love the on-screen count and the messages.

I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957) was probably the most interesting of the movies that I watched so far. It seemed more realistic in the way that the people reacted to what was happening than in most of the other movies. It felt like I was more emotionally invested in this movie than any of the other movies. I thought Michael Landon was very good in it too.

I've seen Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) several times before, and I've seen the Broadway show, so I knew this movie very well going into it. I don't think the movie is as good as the Broadway show, but it's still a good movie. But I watch it more for the music than the movie because I love the soundtrack.

I also watched these movies in the past few days:

Cursed (2005) was a pretty stupid werewolf movie, but at least it wasn't too gory and it wasn't scary at all.

I watched Maximum Overdrive (1986) because Hubby wanted to watch it. The first half of the movie was pretty boring, but it picked up a bit in the second half. The biggest problem that I had with this movie was that I didn't really care about any of the characters, so I wouldn't have cared if the trucks killed them all.

What Lies Beneath (2000) was probably one of the better horror movies that I've watched so far. It has an interesting story with likable characters. However, even though there were believable red herrings, somehow I figured out who the killer was about 10 minutes into the movie. (Hubby thought I was wrong, but we realized about halfway into the movie that I was probably right.)

House (1985) is a horror comedy that I found while reading through IMDB's list of horror-tagged movies. I liked the cast, so I watched the movie. It's not a great movie, but it's one of the better horror comedies that I've watched so far. It was less predictable than most of the other movies, but it has an interesting story that kept my attention throughout the movie.

The Nameless

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222368/
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I read the IMDB page about this movie, and it sounds interesting, but it's in Spanish. I'd prefer to stick to English movies if possible.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe other MoFos will see this post and watch the movie.

Keep that insight coming gbg!

I watched two more horror movies, and surprisingly, I liked both of them.

They Live (1988) had some minor issues, but overall it was a good movie. I thought the fight scene between Roddy Piper and Keith David went on way too long, and it made no sense. All Piper wanted him to do was wear the sunglasses for a few minutes, but they had a big fight over it. That's a dumb reason for a fight. Also, I thought it was pretty stupid of him to hide the box of sunglasses in the bottom of a garbage can, and then expect it to still be there when he got back. Didn't he know that the garbage cans get emptied?

And about the ending,
WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ending of "They Live"!!!" spoilers below
I didn't like that they killed off the two main characters at the end of the movie. At least one of them should have survived.

I think Tremors (1990) is probably the best of the horror movies that I've watched so far. The worm creatures were kind of disgusting, but we didn't see a lot of them, and it didn't go too far with the blood.

The story was good, and it kept me on the edge of my seat. There were times that it felt like I was trapped on the rocks and the roofs with the characters. It's a good sci-fi movie with just enough comedy to make it fun.

I read the IMDB page about this movie, and it sounds interesting, but it's in Spanish. I'd prefer to stick to English movies if possible.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe other MoFos will see this post and watch the movie.
I watched this movie about 5 years ago and it has never left me. I thought it was a good recommend for a mild horror movie,, whilst it's themes are not mild (they are in fact pure evil) there is nothing nasty or disgusting to see, it is all suggested or barely seen. I found this a very unique film with a really good ending. I myself do not like really nasty horror films.

Found this thread just now @gbgoodies Excellent recs so far by @pahaK @mattiasflgrtll6 @honeykid @Citizen Rules @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @MijaFrost and @rambond . Here's several classic horror you may enjoy, that I haven't seen listed here yet, based on your criteria.

The Haunted Palace (1963)
Vincent Price, Debra Paget, and Lon Chaney Jr, directed by Roger Corman,
based on HP Lovecraft and Poe writings, and set in the New England Town of Arkham

Dr. Terror's House Of Horror's (1965)
Anthology Horror film starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Tales From The Crypt (1972)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Abbott & Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1953)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Haunted Palace (1963) Show.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	50539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr Terror.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	50541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tales From The Crypt (1972).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	50542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abbott And Costello Meet The Killer.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	50543  

Found this thread just now @gbgoodies Excellent recs so far by @pahaK @mattiasflgrtll6 @honeykid @Citizen Rules @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @MijaFrost and @rambond . Here's several classic horror you may enjoy, that I haven't seen listed here yet, based on your criteria.

The Haunted Palace (1963)
Vincent Price, Debra Paget, and Lon Chaney Jr, directed by Roger Corman,
based on HP Lovecraft and Poe writings, and set in the New England Town of Arkham

I have several Vincent Price movies on my watchlist, and I added this one too. I'm going to try to watch them as a Vincent Price movie marathon when I get a chance.

Dr. Terror's House Of Horror's (1965)
Anthology Horror film starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

I haven't heard of this movie, but I added it to my watchlist with a few other movies with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in them. I'm not sure that it's my kind of movie, but I'll give it a chance because of the actors in it.

Tales From The Crypt (1972)

I'm not sure if I've seen this movie, but I have a vague memory of something from Tales From The Crypt that has a guy with an arm growing out of his back. (I think it may have been Christian Slater, but I'm not sure.)

Is this the same movie. or am I thinking of something else? (I doubt this is the movie that I saw because the one I saw was probably more recent than 1972.)

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Abbott & Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)
Abbott & Costello Meet Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1953)

I've seen all of these Abbott & Costello movies, and I like all of them.

I'm not a big fan of the portmanteau but nostro's post made me wonder if you might want to look at Amicus' output.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amicus...u_horror_films

I like the idea of anthology movies, but some of those titles don't sound like my kind of movies. But I'll definitely look into them because just based on the stars in them, they're worth checking out.

Just an FYI, this is what my current watchlist looks like just based on my cable DVR. I did a search on the genre "Horror", and added a lot of movies that sounded like they were worth watching for this countdown. (These are the movies that I already recorded, and I'll probably watch first.)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_175121.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	50570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_175053.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	50571