1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
That's up to the host, Ed. I'm sure he'll answer. I think it's pretty darn rare for two people to pick the same movie.

Who in here has seen "A Woman Under The Influence"? for example... I'll try to look at everyone's "Lists" to see what they have already seen, it would be a shame to waste a nomination on a movie everyone has seen, considering the 70s are my favorite decade for movies (and music)
I've never seen A Woman Under The Influence. Pretty sure Cricket has, maybe Raul and Ed?[/quote]

Part of me wants a less known movie, but the "Lists" contain only a certain category for each one.. Otherwise, I'd select "Harry and Tonto", considering it's my favorite of all-time.

@matt72582

Personally I just pick what movie I love, or believe in...and if everyone has seen it, big deal...it just means they have less movies to watch.

I think the problem lately in the main Hof is people try too hard to pick obscure movies, then half of the people end up hating the noms.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
SO VERY HAPPY you're in, @cricket!!! A 70's HoF without you just wouldn't be right.

And to answer your question, @matt72582, if someone PMs me their nom and someone already has it, I'll let that person know they need to pick another. Also, we do a little pre-game of trying to guess who nominated what before actually getting into gear. I'll post a list without saying who nominated what and for the fun of it, everyone who cares to, takes a stab at which nom belongs to who. Then, of course, I'll post the names to the movies which will be found on the front page along with a list of links to reviews as they come in.

and, oh my god, @rauldc14, pick a d@mn movie already LOL
I'm looking to keep this open til around next Thursday (give or take) for joining and getting a nom in, so keep a looking. . . or hey, I've had fun with blind grabs in 2 separate HoFs so that's always a possibility.

and like CR mentioned, going with a favorite is a good thing. And a lot of times, even very well known movies haven't been seen by a lot or its been forever since last viewing them, so it all comes out in the wash - as it were

Me and Sean just did John Cassavetes for the Director of the Month. First time i watched A Woman Under The Influence (for the first Hall of Fame i joined here actually) i didn't like it much, but yeah on rewatch it was incredible; Rowlands performance has to be the best portrayal of mental illness. I actually preferred Love Streams of the four we watched though.

I had back tracked in your Director of the Month thread about those movies, camo. Very interesting stuff.
I've always had trouble watching Cassavetes, not sure why, though it has been a long time since my last attempt, so it could be a possibility in the future.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm pretty sure Woman Under the Influence has been nominated for a hall of fame before. Not that that necessarily disqualifies it.

I can't commit to this hall of fame at the moment but I'll be watching with interest!

I've only seen one of Cassavetes movies, the one that Cricket nominated in an Hof Micky and Nicky. Didn't like it, but would like to see more.

Oh wait, he didn't direct that one.

I'm pretty sure Woman Under the Influence has been nominated for a hall of fame before. Not that that necessarily disqualifies it.

I can't commit to this hall of fame at the moment but I'll be watching with interest!
by all means, Thursday, pop in when ever you can, that'll be wonderful.
And yeah, I did see Woman Under The Influence was in an HoF but it didn't win which, if I understand correctly, allows it to be nominated again. I know Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter (not sure of the order) has been nominated twice and I think one or two others may have as well.

I've only seen one of Cassavetes movies, the one that Cricket nominated in an Hof Micky and Nicky. Didn't like it, but would like to see more.

I remember when that HoF was going on and I tried finding a decent link/copy of Micky and Nicky with no luck. I'll have to try again for that one, Thanks for the reminder

You're right, on both accounts.

Hall of Fame 5
It came in at 9/15

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Yeah, Cassavetes is in it but Elaine May directed it.

I think Faces was nominated for one of the HoFs (or possibly a tournament). I really didn't like that very much.

I think Faces was nominated for one of the HoFs (or possibly a tournament). I really didn't like that very much.
Your right again, I just looked it up. Faces with nominated by Hitchfan in the 2nd Hof.

I had back tracked in your Director of the Month thread about those movies, camo. Very interesting stuff.
I've always had trouble watching Cassavetes, not sure why, though it has been a long time since my last attempt, so it could be a possibility in the future.
Can i ask which ones you've tried? I found Shadows close to unwatchable and he apparently made a few like that. Think you'd have an easier time with A Woman Under The Influence, Love Streams or Opening Night. Although none of them are typical films.

Yeah i mentioned in my post that i watched it for the first Hall of Fame i joined here.

He was a talented actor too, his directed films are nothing like the roles he took i don't think. He was a major influential figure in American Independent Films, particularly after his death.

Your right again, I just looked it up. Faces with nominated by Hitchfan in the 2nd Hof.
Faces is supposed to be similar to Shadows. Me and Sean found Shadows really tough to sit through; actually Sean didn't even finish it. The other ones we watched were pretty great tho.

Faces is supposed to be similar to Shadows. Me and Sean found Shadows really tough to sit through; actually Sean didn't even finish it. The other ones we watched were pretty great tho.
I'm going to have to back read your thread. But in a nut shell, in what way was it tough to sit through?

The first time I watch one of his movies, there is a bit frustration... Second viewing is so amazing, because Cassavetes never spoon-feeds, and after you know the movie, you can watch and notice other things...

I'm going to have to back read your thread. But in a nut shell, in what way was it tough to sit through?
I also found Faces a little difficult.. Shadows is a bit better, but I like where he's trying to go.. I want to see these again.

No one talks about the two movies he made in the studio system that I think are great - A Child Is Waiting, Too Late Blues

"Minnie and Moskowitz" was one of those gritty 70's naturalistic movies without the cliches. This was the 1st movie of Cassavetes, and during the first half (12 years ago) I was so frustrated, but by the end, it all came together.

"Opening Night" is very tough, because it's a play within a play within a play. "Love Streams" is also one I like... Actually the only one I couldn't stand was Killing of a Chinese Bookie.