Strongest Recent Best Picture Winner

Tools    

Which of these Best Picture Winners was the best?
7.50%
3 votes
Million Dollar Baby
0%
0 votes
Crash
15.00%
6 votes
The Departed
32.50%
13 votes
No Country For Old Men
0%
0 votes
Slumdog Millionaire
5.00%
2 votes
The Hurt Locker
5.00%
2 votes
The King's Speech
2.50%
1 votes
The Artist
5.00%
2 votes
Argo
5.00%
2 votes
12 Years a Slave
22.50%
9 votes
Birdman
0%
0 votes
Spotlight
40 votes. You may not vote on this poll

No Country For Old Men Hands down.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
My favourite of those is The Hurt Locker. Not a big fan of any of them though tbh. Also haven't seen Crash, The Artist or 12 Years A Slave yet.
Don't bother with Crash, it actually kind of sucks. Every movie it beat was better.

It's scary to think that the last winner I considered great was Unforgiven in 1992, and the last winner I thought ACTUALLY was the best picture of the year is The Deer Hunter in 1978. No Country is a very good movie, but it's faaaaar from my favorite Coens film.

12 Years is admittedly slow at parts, but I'm not sure I've ever seen better acting from an entire cast. Career best performances from Fassbender, Dano, and Ejiofor, Nyong'o deserved her Oscar, Cumberbatch was fantastic. None of the movies up for vote have a better individual scene than the whipping at the end.

I have to return some videotapes...
1. Birdman - Just one of the most compelling films of all time for me. I just couldn't help myself from being super engaged. So innovative and fresh with its themes.
2. Million Dollar Baby - One of the best boxing films ever made, for me it's neck and neck with Rocky. One of the most unexpected endings of all time for me.
3.Hurt Locker - Great suspense that reaches maybe over Hitchcock-ian levels with a stellar performance by Jeremy Renner, also a career height for Katheryn Bigelow, work we always new we should do, but never did up until this point.
4.The Departed - Never understood why this film caught so much flack, DiCaprio gives one of his best performances of all time and so does Damon, Wahlberg, and maybe Nicholson. Pure drama.
5. No Country for Old Men - Anton F-ing Chigurh, one of the best characters in the past 16 years. Incredible themes and while not a grandiose story, still a great one. Brolin's best for sure.
6. The Artist - A film that feels like it was made in the 40s, but came out now. The performances that Hazanavicius got of Dujardin is incredible, the amount of expression he could convey without sound is masterful.
7. Slumdog Millionaire - Incredible script paired with devoted direction by Boyle makes it my favorite film he has ever done (haven't seen Trainspotting).
8. King's Speech - Hooper really knocked it out of the park with this one, Firth showed levels we had never seen from him before and ultimately it's a great story.
9. Spotlight - A really good in depth look at something people don't really want to know about. A great ensemble piece.
10. Argo - Decent film, my least favorite direction effort from Affleck. I couldn't get invested in any of the characters and thought aside from comedy it was a bland suspense thriller.
11. Crash - Not horrible from what I remember, but not really that good either. An important message that was handled well on screen.

Lastly, I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but I am a fan of McQueen. I think the Oscars get it right a lot of the time, sometimes not though. They usually nominate pretty good films.

1. Birdman - Just one of the most compelling films of all time for me. I just couldn't help myself from being super engaged. So innovative and fresh with its themes.
2. Million Dollar Baby - One of the best boxing films ever made, for me it's neck and neck with Rocky. One of the most unexpected endings of all time for me.
3.Hurt Locker - Great suspense that reaches maybe over Hitchcock-ian levels with a stellar performance by Jeremy Renner, also a career height for Katheryn Bigelow, work we always new we should do, but never did up until this point.
4.The Departed - Never understood why this film caught so much flack, DiCaprio gives one of his best performances of all time and so does Damon, Wahlberg, and maybe Nicholson. Pure drama.
5. No Country for Old Men - Anton F-ing Chigurh, one of the best characters in the past 16 years. Incredible themes and while not a grandiose story, still a great one. Brolin's best for sure.
6. The Artist - A film that feels like it was made in the 40s, but came out now. The performances that Hazanavicius got of Dujardin is incredible, the amount of expression he could convey without sound is masterful.
7. Slumdog Millionaire - Incredible script paired with devoted direction by Boyle makes it my favorite film he has ever done (haven't seen Trainspotting).
8. King's Speech - Hooper really knocked it out of the park with this one, Firth showed levels we had never seen from him before and ultimately it's a great story.
9. Spotlight - A really good in depth look at something people don't really want to know about. A great ensemble piece.
10. Argo - Decent film, my least favorite direction effort from Affleck. I couldn't get invested in any of the characters and thought aside from comedy it was a bland suspense thriller.
11. Crash - Not horrible from what I remember, but not really that good either. An important message that was handled well on screen.

Lastly, I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but I am a fan of McQueen. I think the Oscars get it right a lot of the time, sometimes not though. They usually nominate pretty good films.
Totally agree with you regarding Birdman, The Departed, and I just saw The Artist yesterday...amazing film. I turned Slumdog Millionaire off after about 30 minutes and I'm one of the few people on the planet who loved Crash.

I have to return some videotapes...
Totally agree with you regarding Birdman, The Departed, and I just saw The Artist yesterday...amazing film. I turned Slumdog Millionaire off after about 30 minutes and I'm one of the few people on the planet who loved Crash.
My buddy actually really likes crash too, I personally thought Dillion's storyline was the most compelling due to it being underplayed. What was the problem with Slumdog?

1. Birdman - Mostly liked it, some crazy stuff that kept it from being what could have been a great film, My Review: Birdman

2. Million Dollar Baby - Great film by Eastwood, I don't view it as a boxing film but as a personal story and a moving one.

3.Hurt Locker - Pretty tight film, the scenes in Iraq were intense, the scenes in Texas were OK. I still liked it a lot. My Review: Hurt Locker

4.The Departed - Never seen it.

5. No Country for Old Men - It's been too long since I seen it to review it. I liked it from I can remember.

6. The Artist - Very cool, unique film that packs a lot of emotions, without sound! A must see.

7. Slumdog Millionaire - Didn't watch it, don't want to.

8. King's Speech - Amazing film, so well made...it figures it's a British film because they did it right! 5/5

9. Spotlight - Haven't seen it yet.

10. Argo - Somewhat contrived with the edge-of-the-seat ending. Otherwise a good film. My review: Argo

11. Crash - I like it pretty well. It's a different type of film so you can't expect to view it like you would must movies. My review: Crash

12. 12 Years a Slave - I thought this was an exceptional well told tale of slavery of a free man. The lead actor was excellent and keeping the tone of his performance believable. My review: 12 Years a Slave

Welcome to the human race...
We already had this thread about ranking the post-2000 Best Picture winners a couple of months ago. In any case, I still voted for No Country.

We already had this thread about ranking the post-2000 Best Picture winners a couple of months ago. In any case, I still voted for No Country.
It's not the same, the OP in the other thread ranked the movies and so did others. This one is a poll about our one favorite movie out of the list.

Haven't seen most of em but I like 12 yrs a slave alot. The Hurt Locker sucked and so did spotlight. Fell asleep in the first 10 minutes. Also NCFOM sucked really bad.