Let's Talk about Movie Musicals

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just watched White Christmas (1954) blu ray, OMG that looked so good in technicolor...And what pacing, the movie moves along from scene to scene at a perfect rate. Directed by the legendary Michael Curtiz with good old Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye...paired up with George Clooney's aunt Rosemary Clooney and vivacious Vera-Ellen. It's witty, charming, some fun songs and a couple really great dance numbers all set in a ski lodge in Vermont.

Does it sound like I'm trying to get you to watch it at Christmas time? Why by jolly I am

The Sundance Channel has been running White Christmas (1954) all day today. I watched it twice.

Nice to see some love for Chicago and Sweeney Todd...first rate film versions of Broadway musicals that many believed were impossible to translate to film.

I didn't think I was going to like either Chicago or Sweeney Todd, but I loved both movies.

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) is not only a great MGM musical, but it has some of the most breathtaking pyrotechnic dance routines on film. When I watch it today, it's still hard to believe they actually performed those dance routines. Stars Howard Keel and Jane Powell. Directed by Stanley Donen.

~Doc

I like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, but I don't love it. I rewatched it about a week or two ago for the Westerns List, and it seems to get better each time I watch it, but it's not quite up near the top of my favorite musicals list yet.

It's been a long time since my one and only viewing of Annie Get Your Gun, I loved that movie and Betty Hutton in it. I seen the Judy Garland original take of I'm an Indian Too, really wild costumes and staging, it's a cool number.

I love Annie Get Your Gun, and it's probably a lock to make my Westerns List.

Way back when, Gideon mentioned How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967).

This movie doesn't get a lot of mention and I wonder how many people are aware of it.

I always got a kick out of it and it takes on a whole new perspective watching it in a post "MeToo" age.

This was the movie that made me think Robert Morse could have or would have been the Jerry Lewis of the 60's if not for Jerry Lewis!

Coincidence? The Secret of My Success (1987) starring Michael J. Fox almost seems like a direct remake sans the music, but no official connection was ever made.

I've only seen How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying once, but as I recall, I didn't like it. There's something about Robert Morse that I don't like, but I can't quite figure out what it is about him that bothers me. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis either.

The trick is not minding
Nice to see some love for Chicago and Sweeney Todd...first rate film versions of Broadway musicals that many believed were impossible to translate to film.

I didn't think I was going to like either Chicago or Sweeney Todd, but I loved both movies.
I definitely enjoyed both movies as well, but I wonder often how much I would enjoy watching them on broadway.
I feel like I’ve missed out not going to watch any plays or musicals since I don’t live in any big city like NY

I definitely enjoyed both movies as well, but I wonder often how much I would enjoy watching them on broadway.
I feel like I’ve missed out not going to watch any plays or musicals since I don’t live in any big city like NY

My mother loved going to Broadway shows, and she always took me with her, so I saw some of them when I was younger. I didn't see Chicago on Broadway, but I saw Sweeney Todd on Broadway with Len Cariou as Sweeney Todd and Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett. Despite the dark theme, it was a great show. (I was only about 13 years old when I saw it on Broadway, so maybe that's why the dark theme didn't bother me back then.)

Do you have a favorite dance number from White Christmas?

My favorite dance numbers are "Abraham" and "The Best Things Happen When You're Dancing". My favorite songs are "White Christmas", "Sisters", and "Gee! I Wish I Was Back in the Army".

I've seen For Me and My Gal. It's a great movie, but it's not my favorite Gene Kelly movie. As much as I love Singin' in the Rain, that's not my favorite Kelly movie either. That honor goes to Brigadoon (1954).
I watched For Me and My Gal because of Judy Garland who I really like and I've had Brigadoon on dvr for about a year but haven't watched it yet. Cyd Charisse is the draw for me. Maybe that's a good one to knock off over the holidays.

As much as I enjoyed the movie, the Broadway stage production of Sweeney Todd was vastly superior to the movie. There was a lot of stuff from the stage version that didn't make it into the movie.

Way back when, Gideon mentioned How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967).

This movie doesn't get a lot of mention and I wonder how many people are aware of it.

I always got a kick out of it and it takes on a whole new perspective watching it in a post "MeToo" age.

This was the movie that made me think Robert Morse could have or would have been the Jerry Lewis of the 60's if not for Jerry Lewis!

Coincidence? The Secret of My Success (1987) starring Michael J. Fox almost seems like a direct remake sans the music, but no official connection was ever made.
I never made the connection between How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and The Secret of My Success, but I definitely see it now that you mention it.

The trick is not minding
As much as I enjoyed the movie, the Broadway stage production of Sweeney Todd was vastly superior to the movie. There was a lot of stuff from the stage version that didn't make it into the movie.
I’ve been told the same about Chicago. But I always separate films from their original sources anyways so they’re judged on their own criteria, rather then on the original work.
I learned this when Lord of the Rings were released and the various comic book films.
Still, I wish to someday see a proper play in NY someday just to compare

I've only seen How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying once, but as I recall, I didn't like it. There's something about Robert Morse that I don't like, but I can't quite figure out what it is about him that bothers me. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis either.
It's probably the way he wore his hair and that gap between his front teeth!
Come to think of it, Robert Morse looked like one of Jerry Lewis's characters!

I never made the connection between How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and The Secret of My Success, but I definitely see it now that you mention it.
The story's basically the same. Can't remember if Michael J. Fox is reading a book or not (in the earlier movie, Robert Morse is reading a self-help book with the same title of the movie and following it step by step).

Also, both characters start working in the mail room, but I think Michael J. Fox creates an alternate identity (for his upwardly mobile activities) and still remains working in the mail room as himself, while Robert Morse just advances up the ladder as himself: one major plot point difference.

I love musicals! Some of my favourite musicals:

Top Hat (1935)
The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
There's No Business Like Show Business (1954)
West Side Story (1961)
Les Parapluies De Cherbourg (1964)
The Sound of Music (1965)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Les Misérables (2012)
Into the Woods (2014)
La La Land (2016)
The Greatest Showman (2017)
Annette (2021)
In the Heights (2021)
Dear Evan Hansen (2021)

I can't pick a favourite song or singer because there are too many that I love.

That's a good list Allaby. Myself I'm not into newer musicals much though I did really like La La Land as that was staged like a classic mid 20th century Hollywood musical. I like Gene Kelly but I like Fred Astaire better. For female dancers I like Vera-Ellen and Cyd Charisse who was called the best dancer in Hollywood.