2009 Unappreciated Films

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
So what 2009 films do you think were unappreciated?

I read this this morning. I totally agree about State of Play. I have no idea why that film fell flat. It was interesting, a bit suspenseful, had good performances (even Affleck), and had a few things to say about the state of journalism today.

Their list:

Fantastic Mr. Fox
State of Play
(500) Days of Summer
Funny People
Invention of Lying (sorry, this film had a great idea but the studio must have gotten involved and turned it into a typical rom com)
Adventureland

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...f29cc7b5ca.jpg

Do you agree with the list? What would you add?

I'm pretty sure most of them did and I was just about to come back and post this:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/rtawards/thriller/

State of Play was the best reviewed thriller of the year.

Why in the heck didn't people go see it?

And The Road was number 3 and it wasn't around long enough for me to see it!

'Course, I hated Duplicity and it's number 4. I didn't even finish watching it....

Fantastic Mr. Fox
State of Play
(500) Days of Summer
Funny People
Invention of Lying (sorry, this film had a great idea but the studio must have gotten involved and turned it into a typical rom com)
Adventureland
I'm not surprised to hear that these films have been largely overlooked as I was interested in all but one of them. Can you guess which one?

Zing! Oh that Honeykid... he's a hoot!

Anyway, I started State of Play a few months ago and didn't get into it. I may go back and try and finish it some day. If that's the top five thrillers for 2009 then its just a light year for thrillers is all. It's been a rather good year for drama's however. Just because honeykid won't watch them doesn't make it any less true.

A few of those others have gotten good reviews just not wide releases is all, several of them on are a lot of critic's lists for best of and all that jazz. So, mostly, I reckon whoever is behind this list is just trying to muster up some more buzz for these flicks before Oscar time.

Zing! Oh that Honeykid... he's a hoot!
... It's been a rather good year for drama's however. Just because honeykid won't watch them doesn't make it any less true.
OK, I'm genuinely baffled by this, PW. I say that I was interested in all but one of them and infered that, because I apparently have dreadful taste, it's no wonder they were ignored.

When and where did I say that I wouldn't watch them or say that they weren't any good? One of us has missed something because I don't get where you're coming from.

I'm kind of ashamed to say I've only seen Funny People from that list. State of Play looks great so I'll watch that as soon as possible, but what about the others? I was happy with Jesse Eisenberg's performance in Zombieland so I'm a little interested in Adventureland, wait a minute...ZombieLAND and adventureLAND, coincidence?

Anyway seriously now, are the other's worth watching?

Meh.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

ew. Adventureland? give me a break.
Ha ha, I only want to see it because somehow, by some miracle it got 88% on the tomatometer...sorry but that is really high for this type of movie. It must be doing something right...so when I have some spare time on my hand I may check it out.

OK, I'm genuinely baffled by this, PW. I say that I was interested in all but one of them and infered that, because I apparently have dreadful taste, it's no wonder they were ignored.

When and where did I say that I wouldn't watch them or say that they weren't any good? One of us has missed something because I don't get where you're coming from.
Sorry about that, I misread your post. I thought you were taking shots at flicks that you hadn't seen yet.

Yes.

ew. Adventureland? give me a break.
I liked Adventureland quite a bit. Why not just watch it? What have you got to lose? It's better than The Invention of Lying so give it a go.

Anyway, I started State of Play a few months ago and didn't get into it. I may go back and try and finish it some day. If that's the top five thrillers for 2009 then its just a light year for thrillers is all. It's been a rather good year for drama's however. Just because honeykid won't watch them doesn't make it any less true.

A few of those others have gotten good reviews just not wide releases is all, several of them on are a lot of critic's lists for best of and all that jazz. So, mostly, I reckon whoever is behind this list is just trying to muster up some more buzz for these flicks before Oscar time.
I have to agree with Powdered Water, this whole list must have more to do with trying to get people to be more interested in the movies. Did anyone forget about Fantastic Mr. Fox though? I thought that was great and it was in theaters for quite a while. Invention of Lying did not even interest me. I can see why State of Play made the list; I forgot that even came out in 2009 and almost though it was 2008.

I liked Adventureland pretty well. I am not sure it deserves as much attention as some of the others on the list, but it was funny and had more substance than I expected it too.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I liked Adventureland quite a bit. Why not just watch it? What have you got to lose? It's better than The Invention of Lying so give it a go.
i have watched it.

State of Play. i thought the conclusion was mismatched. i enjoyed body of lies much more, was actually convincing to me.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
a documentary on blackwater would have been more interesting. the movie does the actual topic injustice. it's much scarier and real life.

(500) Days of Summer - good original

Adventureland- pretty good, better than I thought it would be.

Bob, you make a good point. I gather what I liked about it more was the exploration of journalism and how newspapers are dying. That did seem to be the focus. But your spoiler comment is a valid one -- a movie on that will be made, don't you think?

I haven't seen the one with the fox person but the rest are pretty so so, I mean not bad just not all that good. I would say The Boat That Rocked was pretty passed over and a great film, sure Ill think of more..

Welcome to the human race...
I'd say Black Dynamite is my main pick for the most "unappreciated" movie of the year. I say this despite the largely positive critical and commercial response it's gotten. What really made me think it was "unappreciated" was that it's more or less been shafted when it comes to widespread distribution, despite being a damn funny spoof (and yet Dance Flick got shipped all over the place. Go figure.)