What is the role of a historical film?

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
What role should historical films play?

Two films come to mind, both Mel Gibson films interesting enough, The Patriot, Braveheart, where history is played with fast and loose, and in this world of less reading and more watching, I thought it would be interesting to debate how historical films can leave us with an impression that isn't accurate. More importantly, does it matter?

In the film, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, a wonderful John Ford film starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart, a famous line emerged:

No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

I just viewed the entire series, John Adams, and I was rather impressed.

Then I did a bit of research. Now I'm a bit angry.

I've wanted to see this for quite some time, because I've often wondered why there aren't more films/TV miniseries about the Revolutionary War. Seems there are more westerns and Civil War films out there. Is not the Revolution interesting?

As mainstream popular films go, we are left with The Patriot starring Mel Gibson. And, truth be told, I like that film. But it suffers from what mainstream historical films (and Gibson films, for that matter) often suffer from: historical inaccuracy. They also suffer from revisionism: a modern slant or politically correct point of view. After all, we wouldn't want to know that much about Jefferson's personal life, would we?

There is no doubt that making a film such as this requires some dramatic license -- historical letters become dialogue, series of events are compressed, some events are in a different order so as to create a dramatic arc and tension. That's all understandable.

But what happens when these changes seem silly? What happens when they compromise the entire experience because they are so inaccurate? What then? And what happens when you realize that the truth would have been even more dramatic? Some were small details but details matter in a story such as this, don't they? John Adams was central to the events. This miniseries stretched quite a few things and changed things for the sake of making Adams even more important. The truth was already there, why compromise with it?

Source for some of the inaccuracies: http://hnn.us/articles/56155.html

In here, we find the following:

1. Adams didn't actually "abandon" his children when he went to Europe. They went along. Adam's son, Charles, dies of alcoholism and is shown as a petulant child blaming his problems on Adams' absence. This can only be done for dramatic purpose to somehow explain the tragedy of Charles' life. Why? Isn't it simply enough to show Charles had problems?

2. Adams' daughter dies of cancer. In the series, it begins 7 years earlier with a doctor that was already dead. Why in the world would you change such a thing?

3. In one instance, Adams is the deciding vote in the Congress for the Jay Treaty. This vote was 20-10 in favor with no deciding vote by Adams. Now, why on earth would this have been changed?

4. And the most egregious of all: around 1775 at the time of the Boston Tea Party, we're shown an angry mob, seemingly fully supported by Adam's cousin, Samuel, where a British tax officer (I think) is tarred and feathered. It's a disturbing scene and John is outraged. According to the link provided above, this couldn't have happened. And in fact, this part of the series has some real problems as it seems to indicate John wasn't in favor of independence and had to be convinced otherwise. It seems that John always was in favor. This scene was simply fiction.

There are others listed, some of them not mattering a great deal to me. But some seem flat-out silly.

Before I go on, though, I would like to talk about the film's strengths: Stephen Dillane, as Jefferson, steals the movie for me (I'm about to seek out other roles he played, I liked him that much). He captured Jefferson's grace; his quiet manner during the arguments in the Continental Congress make him a compelling and thoughtful figure, and his relationship with Adams the second most interesting relationship in the film (as it should be, I would surmise.) Linney gives Abigal her intelligence and grounded manner. She was one of the most erudite women of her time: full of knowledge and advice for his husband. Their relationship is captured beautifully and is probably the most truthful aspect of the film.

Adam's meeting with King George III (Tom Hollander) was the moment that stuck out of the most. And it also seems accurate, based on Adam's own recollection of the event. I thought Hollander did so much with the moment he had. Bravo.

And everyone loves the way Adams and Jefferson each passed on the very same day: 50 years to the day the Declaration was signed. There is no other greater coincidence in history. That, too, was a special moment and captured accurately according to history.

Now, back to the central issue: in a final scene, the famous portrait of the signing of the Declaration of Independence is shown to an elderly Adams (with his son, John Quincy, now President). Adams is grumpy about the whole thing, going on and on about how the picture is inaccurate, since the signers were coming and going that summer and not every one of them could have been in the room at the same time for such an event.

It struck me that Adams was missing the whole point: the portrait was capturing the legend of the signing. Many years later, wasn't that what was important? What kind of portrait would it have been to have just a few men standing there signing it? The truth does nothing for the event.

Isn't is better to print the legend? How can Adams not understand that?

So is it alright to have a William Wallace have an affair with a Queen that was merely a child and couldn't have engaged in such a thing in Braveheart? Even worse, Wallace was a born noble, not the poor boy he seemed to be? Does it matter that Salieri and Mozart were not the enemies they were portrayed in Amadeus? What about the fact that the character Gibson played in The Patriot wasn't exactly a hero much of the time: he was reported to have raped his slaves and slaughtered Cherokee Indians. Hmmm, not exactly a patriotic hero, eh?

In each of these, it's clear that history can serve as a backdrop for a good old fashioned story with lots of romance, conflict, and intrigue.

But when you present a film such as John Adams to the public, is there a danger that certain distortions will remain? And do they matter? Does it matter that we are told that Benjamin Franklin was having an affair with a French woman while married, when, in fact, his wife had been dead for years?

Such a silly detail. Not worth mentioning or caring about, right?

Entertainment. Sometimes art or philosophy.
History book writers make things up, just like novelist - so you can't expect the movies to be accurate.
Read fifty history books on any subject. You get 50 opinions.

History book writers make things up - so you can't expect the movies to be accurate.
Not with facts like the ones I listed.

So many good movies, so little time.
I think that it is more important that the historical movie gives a sense of what the times were like rather than to try to portray actual details, Personally, when I see a movie I want to be entertained and educated. If they have to sacrifice some of the actual details in the interests of entertainment, so be it. No one should expect a non-documentary movie to be completely accurate with details. If I become sufficiently interested in a subject I will then find a good book. I thought the Adams mini-series was great.
A couple of years ago I surveyed AP US History teachers on what movies they liked best for their classes.
Here are the results http://www.jacknilan.com/ushistorymo...lresults2.html

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

It has been noted that a lot of American youngsters learn their history from Hollywood.

I think it's important people know the difference between fact and fiction - I could care less how historically correct a film is though. It's your own responsibility to learn the truth and if a movie is interesting enough you'll probably dig deeper and want to learn more.

History book writers make things up, just like novelist - so you can't expect the movies to be accurate.
I don't agree with that, not if your looking in the right places (not Wikipedia).
Scientific facts usually vary or have opposition but historical facts tend to have one that is recognized as truth or the closest we ll get to it.

It would be nice to see a movie with some real historical truth that educated as much as it entertained. I read a book recently Emperor: Gates Of Rome. I'm interested in Roman history and it was a great read but when I read the appendix at the end I found out it was filled with historical inaccuracies, not just altered but truly changed. It ruined the novel for me and I didn't read the following books in the series, if you want to create a work of fiction why not create your own characters instead of borrowing from history.

Some things are changed for dramatic purposes. I'd rather have an inaccurate film than a boring one.

if you want to create a work of fiction why not create your own characters instead of borrowing from history.
Because then it wouldn't be historical fiction.

Whether it's a book, a tv show or a movie, if you want historical facts, you need to stay away from fiction. You want to learn something while watching a film? Put in a documentary. You want to learn something while reading? Go to the non-fiction section.

Movies and novels are meant first and foremost to entertain. You can get a feel for a time period by watching or reading one, but they're not educational tools and I don't think they should have to be.

You all seem to shrug off the idea of some of these inaccurate details are a problem with a film such as John Adams. I haven't got one response that addresses the specific details they got wrong. Don't get me wrong, I loved the mini-series and they got a lot right, but I'm really surprised at how adamant some of you seem to be that screenwriters have no obligation at all to history. At all?

Really?

What bothers me is the idea that some details in these movies are such gross inaccuracies that I think it's actually wrong to do it. Why should we think John Adams abandoned his kids when he didn't? In addition, we're told Jefferson did, too, when he didn't. Why should we think Franklin cheated on his wife when he didn't? These are details that have no logical reason for being changed and color our feelings about these historical men. And for what? They don't even help the story. The truth would have been just fine.

That doesn't strike you as irresponsible?

P.S. Uconjack, that was an interesting list and I'm not surprised Glory topped it. Every history teacher I've ever met likes to show that film. Did you know the Edward R. Murrow film has the wrong name? I was also very excited to see Thirteen Days there.

Great thread, tramp. This is one of the first topics I remember talking about on this site, actually. Pretty early on I got into a discussion with a guy named Steve about Titanic, and whether or not it should be criticized/held accountable for its historical inaccuracies.

I am of two minds. Like Miss Vicky, I think anyone who takes historical films at face value is simply making a very obvious mistake. On the other hand, some people are going to anyway, and it does feel a little cheap when filmmakers get to lend their fictional stories more potency by saying they are "based on a true story." That doesn't seem quite fair.

There are some cases where they have an inarguable responsibility. In regards to Titanic again, the filmmakers were either sued (or a suit was threatened; I can't remember which) by the family of one of the men depicted in the film! This man, like many, was depicted as a coward, when the reality was that most of the people on board showed an incredible amount of bravery and level-headedness.

I think the filmmakers have an additional amount of responsibility with projects like John Adams, which are overtly historical, if you get my meaning. The educational value is clearly a big part of its purpose and appeal, and I think this creates an extra layer of obligation. Particularly in those instances which don't really need to be changed much for dramatic effect anyway, as tramp detailed. And, relating to the Titanic example above: even though his descendents are far enough removed that it won't besmirch their name much, Adams was still a real man, and so were the others depicted. People will carry these depictions around in their heads, fair or not. Printing the legend is one thing, but this is shaping it.

It feels less egregious at times, of course. I like the "print the legend" reference; that's a very good way of summing up those instances in which I think it's okay to muddle the facts a little. Braveheart is a prime example of this, to me. But something so much more recent, having to do with our own history, and clearly meant to educate on some level? And changing facts that aren't really part of any existing "legend"? That just doesn't sit very well with me, and even though I was a tiny bit let down by John Adams, I'm more let down to see this list of inaccuracies.

I agree with tramp's highlights of the series, however, particularly Adams' meeting with King George III. It did a lovely job of illustrating the differences between the two societies.

Re: "I'd rather have an inaccurate film than a boring one." Why do we have to choose? Why not only make historical films about things that aren't boring? Anyway, I'd care less if the inaccurate films were more upfront about their shortcomings.

Anyway, I think it depends on the situation, but I think films lke Titanic and mini-series' like John Adams are examples of artistic license extending a bit too far.

I agree with Yoda, If film makers what to do a film based on true events, then the facts should be correct. I love history ( the only subject I ever liked at school), it really spoils the film for me when facts have been changed.

I will not watch the patriot, because I know it will wind me up.
As said previously alot of people take films as fact.

As said previously alot of people take films as fact.
True, but anybody who does is a fool and I don't think filmmakers should be held accountable for the public's stupidity.

I was, for most of my life, a historian. When I write a screenplay, my knowledge of history is a great asset.

But I do not let “facts” constrain me when I fashion a plot synopsis and treatment. History is objective, anyway.

That said, I did find Ridley Scott’s (and I do love Ridley) Kingdom Of Heaven to be grotesquely perverted in its telling of the fall of Jerusalem just prior to the Third Crusade. So much so I found it to be offensive. I don’t think anyone could have more completely told the opposite of the truth.

But then, maybe “God wills it!”

PS: Didn't like the Patriot (or Independance Day or Godzilla) - don't care for that production team. Too campy.

Re: "I'd rather have an inaccurate film than a boring one." Why do we have to choose? Why not only make historical films about things that aren't boring? Anyway, I'd care less if the inaccurate films were more upfront about their shortcomings.

Anyway, I think it depends on the situation, but I think films lke Titanic and mini-series' like John Adams are examples of artistic license extending a bit too far.
Of course, it's better if they are both entertaining and historically correct, but that is rarely the case. And Titanic may be historically screwy but it's quite a dramatic entertaining film. If I wanted reliable facts on the Titanic, I'd read a book.

Historical films typically are real events depicted by better looking people, with more romanticism. Titantic, a tragedy in which many people lost their lives because of the hubris of it's design, boiled down to a typical 90's teen romance flick.

...uh the post is up there...

Great thread, tramp. This is one of the first topics I remember talking about on this site, actually. Pretty early on I got into a discussion with a guy named Steve about Titanic, and whether or not it should be criticized/held accountable for its historical inaccuracies.

I am of two minds. Like Miss Vicky, I think anyone who takes historical films at face value is simply making a very obvious mistake. On the other hand, some people are going to anyway, and it does feel a little cheap when filmmakers get to lend their fictional stories more potency by saying they are "based on a true story." That doesn't seem quite fair.

There are some cases where they have an inarguable responsibility. In regards to Titanic again, the filmmakers were either sued (or a suit was threatened; I can't remember which) by the family of one of the men depicted in the film! This man, like many, was depicted as a coward, when the reality was that most of the people on board showed an incredible amount of bravery and level-headedness.

I think the filmmakers have an additional amount of responsibility with projects like John Adams, which are overtly historical, if you get my meaning. The educational value is clearly a big part of its purpose and appeal, and I think this creates an extra layer of obligation. Particularly in those instances which don't really need to be changed much for dramatic effect anyway, as tramp detailed. And, relating to the Titanic example above: even though his descendents are far enough removed that it won't besmirch their name much, Adams was still a real man, and so were the others depicted. People will carry these depictions around in their heads, fair or not. Printing the legend is one thing, but this is shaping it.
Exactly! John Adams came across as something that would contain a certain amount of educational value. Neither do films like Gladiator, or even Braveheart. I never thought of Titanic that way, though.

But interestingly -- look at Amadeus. One of my favorite films. It isn't any different than say, a Braveheart, in that it is a film created strictly to entertain and excite. At the same time, it captures a moment in history. But ultimately, Amadeus creates a character of Salieri that by all accounts is false. It also gives an impression about Mozart that is false. It shapes a legend that is unfair yet made for great drama. Truth is, I am of two minds on this film -- not quite sure how to feel about it. I gather if I was related to Salieri....

BUT, I feel clear about a film like John Adams. It is unfair to Adams to say he abandoned his children, unfair to Franklin for his womanizing while married (he was a womanizer, though, so maybe they get a pass for showing it differently?), and unfair even to the Americans who didn't exactly tar and feather tax clerks.

It feels less egregious at times, of course. I like the "print the legend" reference; that's a very good way of summing up those instances in which I think it's okay to muddle the facts a little. Braveheart is a prime example of this, to me. But something so much more recent, having to do with our own history, and clearly meant to educate on some level? And changing facts that aren't really part of any existing "legend"? That just doesn't sit very well with me, and even though I was a tiny bit let down by John Adams, I'm more let down to see this list of inaccuracies.
Yep, Yoda and I agree on something!

I agree with tramp's highlights of the series, however, particularly Adams' meeting with King George III. It did a lovely job of illustrating the differences between the two societies.
I also thought the basic philosophical difference between larger central government (Adams) vs. states rights (Jefferson) was also illustrated well. I didn't understand, though, why Jefferson would have been against Adams' hesitation to go to war with France. That part was confusing and I haven't done the research on it to find out what really went on.

And I repeat here -- why were some of the changes made to John Adams? They seemed completely unnecessary and the truth could have been presented just as dramatically. Have Charles go to Europe with his parents and still show how Charles disappointed his father. There are plenty of Adams' letters to dramatize this event. It's a stupid form of cheating to show in the beginning of the mini-series this fake "conversion" of Adams. You could have easily dramatized that time without resorting to fiction.

In truth, I was excited that such a historical type film had been made, had won awards, and had won ratings. I thought it great that we could educate on this part of our history and still entertain. Yet, they made such silly changes as to jeopardize their endeavor. I don't get it.

Nice post, Yoda. Thanks!

Historical films typically are real events depicted by better looking people, with more romanticism. Titantic, a tragedy in which many people lost their lives because of the hubris of it's design, boiled down to a typical 90's teen romance flick.
Lol, I don't disagree, but hey, I thought the sinking of the ship was pretty darn interesting. Whenever I want to watch Titanic, I want to skip to that part.

Not sure what that says about me, though.