The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

oh ok, there was some ppl asking and no respond if there was or not, which got me curious for a sec because Yoda already said there was only one pointer.

They asked, but I think they were kidding. They also asked before I was awake/online. There's a lot of posts in here so me not responding to something shouldn't be taken as evidence it's happening.

It'll all make sense soon. We're getting close to the main event.

They asked, but I think they were kidding. They also asked before I was awake/online. There's a lot of posts in here so me not responding to something shouldn't be taken as evidence it's happening.

It'll all make sense soon. We're getting close to the main event.
It's all good lol, were all getting anxious for this list to start I guess, mind if I ask though, when tomorrow are you releasing the first two movies?

It's all good lol, were all getting anxious for this list to start I guess, mind if I ask though, when tomorrow are you releasing the first two movies?
Probably right after I wake up, maybe like 8:00 or 8:30 AM ET. I'll be prepping the first two films tonight (and probably the night before going forward so they go up quickly each morning).

Once the data has been double checked I'll throw out the occasional hint or teaser or trivia to tide people over, too.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Some really good films among the one pointers!

Mine was Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010). Usually, the #25 on my list is the only position I choose strategically so it appears at the one pointers list, but this time I didn't need to do it because Elite Squad is actually #25 in my Top 100. A thrilling look into Brazil's corrupted system and organized crime.

Some really good films among the one pointers!

Mine was Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010). Usually, the #25 on my list is the only position I choose strategically so it appears at the one pointers list, but this time I didn't need to do it because Elite Squad is actually #25 in my Top 100. A thrilling look into Brazil's corrupted system and organized crime.
How would you compare it to the first one? I saw it last year for the first time and thought it was flawed, but good.

My one-pointer didn't make it. But to be fair it was a pretty high-caliber one pointer and I expect that it had a good chance of making the list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Forget double-checked, that list is tripple checked.

*waits for everyone to spot errors*

Suspect's Reviews

Poison for the Fairies (1984)---For some reason, I'm getting an Alucarda feel from the story, even though it may play more towards witches and not both girls are entirely willing to participate. Did like Alucarda, so maybe?
I wouldn't say it's too much like Alucarda (which I really like too). I'm under the impression that Taboada has been quite an influence for del Toro, so maybe his films are more fit comparisons (Taboada has less focus on visuals but better stories, IMO). Even the Wind is Afraid is another very good Taboada if you want to check something that's more unanimously horror.

Wanna briefly talk about my One Pointer, 1998's The Impostors.
The Imposters is a lot of fun. I remember watching it several times when it came out.

If this wasn't Takoma, I'll eat my hat.
Maybe? I honestly can't remember anything aside from my top 2, and I can't figure out how to look at sent messages so . . . *shrug*?

Day of the Jackal was mine, a film I've watched about as many times as any other film over the past 20 years.

It's just about perfection, brilliant mix of detective/assassin film.
Day of the Jackal is amazing. Anyone who hasn't seen it is really missing out. One of the most suspenseful, involving films out there.

And a great example of how neat it is to see how detective/investigative work was done pre-computer/internet.

[b]Maybe? I honestly can't remember anything aside from my top 2, and I can't figure out how to look at sent messages so . . . *shrug*?
User CP, click the dropdown next to Private messages.. Sent items.

User CP, click the dropdown next to Private messages.. Sent items.
When I do that I get a completely blank page.

EDIT: It looks like when you send a message you have to check a little checkbox or else it doesn't save a copy?

EDIT: It looks like when you send a message you have to check a little checkbox or else it doesn't save a copy?
User CP-
Edit Options-
enable:
"Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"
at the bottom;- save changes

Welcome to the human race...
Almost forgot to rate the one-pointers I've seen...

Irreversible (2002) - have somehow managed to see this twice and a repeat viewing is not much easier, but it does prove that there's more to it than shock value and nihilism.

The House on Haunted Hill (1959) - fun little B-movie (saw it in a theatre with a like-minded audience and it was a good time), but I recognise that it only has so much appeal.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - I've liked Shane Black movies before and after this one, but this one has never quite worked for me (never seems to get the balance of funny and serious right, which is key when it comes to Black's work).

In This Corner of the World (2016) - saw it a few years back and thought it was pretty good, have been meaning to revisit it but probably won't for various reasons.

Dead Poets Society (1989) - what's worse, that Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture in a year where Do the Right Thing wasn't even nominated or that this milquetoast grabbag of inspirational teacher clichés won Best Original Screenplay over Lee's joint?

Donnie Brasco (1997) - may have to give this another shot, but I just remember being bored.

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) - Early pre-Ghibli Miyazaki is technically one of his rougher features but it still has enough of his creativity and energy to make it worthwhile.

A Ghost Story (2017) - This is one of those films where I liked it on first viewing but I feel like watching it again might actually make me dislike it, but that's pretentious existentialism for you.

Coraline (2009) - Really need to revisit this one, it's been too long.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - I cannot sanction its buffoonery.

The Florida Project (2017) - Would probably make my Top 25 of 2017 (and top 100 of the 2010s).

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010) - Eh-lite Squad.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) - Too bad Thanksgiving isn't a thing in this country or I might actually watch this once a year. May or may not have overtaken The Breakfast Club as my favourite Hughes film.

The Day of the Jackal (1973) - Watched this not too long ago and dug it, plain and simple.

Army of Darkness (1992) - two-time Top 100 film for me. Wait and see if it manages a third.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991) - I can definitely see the case for this being equal (or possibly superior) to Excellent Adventure.

Step Brothers (2008) - It's funny enough, I guess.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - Aged like a fine milk.

User CP-
Edit Options-
enable:
"Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"
at the bottom;- save changes
See, I morphed this thread into PM tech support so subtly ya'll didn't even notice.

Yeah, there are two options for this: there's a box on the actual Send PM page you can check to save the sent message, and as Tugg mentioned, there's an option to determine whether that option is checked by default.

At this point I might check it by default for everyone, though. Might have to increase the PM allowance size too, though.

Maybe, but my tentative plan is either to proceed normally (no big deal for me, work-wise, to post through them), or to post extras the day before so that the pace is unaffected.