Stuff I hate on movies

Tools    

Hence why I said "obligatory". Some great movies have great twists, however the Twist in the End seems more of a needful tool to convey a particular idea [in the Usual Suspects, as per example, the twist carries the notion that the character in question is very resourceful and an astute manipulator. This is even more in emphasis when the movie shifts from the assault on a boat detective movie routine to an assault on a boat for a very particular reason - ie the needful anonymity of Kaizer Souze].

M. Night is one of the great responsibilities for the Twist in the end craze for sure.

At the same time of the 6th Sense, The Others came out, which is a movie with the twist in the end that - for me - worked better [albeit for different reasons that has to do with the motif of the movie it self]

On the 6th sense, as soon as the kid said "I see dead people" the image of Willis in the same room with the kids' mom came into mind and I immediately connected the dots. The Twist didn't come as a surprise.

There are others that employed the twist in the end thing as a mean to convey a message as well [ex: Jacobs Ladder] while others used it as a slap in the face [ex: Angel Heart], and - IMHO - did a fantastic job with them [granted, nowadays they wouldn't work]
Well I was maybe 12 when I saw 6th Sense so It shocked me. But yeah we are definitely on the same page.

The only thing that should be obligatory in movies are Stan Lee's cameos in Marvel flicks.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
1- The problem is that you're still assuming that it is a twist in the first place. It seems like so many of the problems you listed come from you trying to out-think the movie in terms of plot progression and thematics, so you predict every possible direction it can go then act disappointed when it settles on one.

2 - Inarritu was the man who actually directed The Revenant, so for him to talk about his own movie like that...well, maybe you're not as intolerant of pseudo-intellectual "artsy-fartsy" pretentiousness as you claim.

3 - In this context, a "needle drop" is when a movie uses a non-original song on its soundtrack. When I say a bad one, I mean ones where the chosen song does not suit the scene in question and undermines it as a result - or just serves to take me out of the experience.
1 - I'm not assuming anything. I'm calling a spade a spade.

I don't out think movies. I recognize plot mechanisms when I see one. In this case I saw the Twist plot easy.

2 - Again, you assume [too much, given you know me from nowhere] I actually watched the entirety of the Revenant before yawning. And I assure you, just because it has Indians doesn't make it a Western. The same way, just because it has Witch it doesn't make it a horror movie either.

not as intolerant of pseudo-intellectual "artsy-fartsy" pretentiousness as you claim.

I couldn't be bothered to reply to you any further due to your attempts at a personal attack. You did it once, you're not doing it again.

You are overly aggressive, bordering the amusing [but not really]. Your attitude towards me [and others, as far as I already seen] is that of instigation. I have no desire to be a part of your random internet moods.

Good bye.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I don't out think movies. I recognize plot mechanisms when I see one. In this case I saw the Twist plot easy.

2 - Again, you assume [too much, given you know me from nowhere] I actually watched the entirety of the Revenant before yawning. And I assure you, just because it has Indians doesn't make it a Western. The same way, just because it has Witch it doesn't make it a horror movie either.

I couldn't be bothered to reply to you any further due to your attempts at a personal attack. You did it once, you're not doing it again.

You are overly aggressive, bordering the amusing [but not really]. Your attitude towards me [and others, as far as I already seen] is that of instigation. I have no desire to be a part of your random internet moods.

Good bye.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...

It's. Not. A. Twist. Call it a predictable outcome if you must (and really, how many different outcomes could Cube have? Everyone lives? Some of them live? Only one? None?), but stop insisting that it's supposed to be a twist. The heroic lead turning out to be a murderer is a twist. The autistic guy being the only one who survives is not.

Speaking of assuming, my original comment about The Revenant wasn't even directed at you, it was directed at matt, but you responded anyway with a line about how "you weren't going to discuss it" and yet here we are.

Good bye.
Well, that's just as well because the rest of that post was addressed to Captain Steel instead of you.

Seriously, though, you're the one who started a thread talking about what you hate in movies, but the people who challenge you on your points are the instigators? This is a discussion board. People disagree all the time. I know where the limits are when it comes to discussion and I saw that there were gaps in your arguments that I wanted to point out. You claimed to hate pseudo-intellectual films and filmmakers yet you said you didn't want to say anything about the guy who said his film should be watched in a temple? Me pointing that out is not a personal attack on you, it's questioning the consistency of your approach to what you "hate" in movies. If you're going to take any remotely significant level of disagreement as an insult (and throw actual insults at me as a result), then I don't know what to tell you.

Iroquois, when you said this,
In this context, a "needle drop" is when a movie uses a non-original song on its soundtrack. When I say a bad one, I mean ones where the chosen song does not suit the scene in question and undermines it as a result - or just serves to take me out of the experience.
, does a song like I Got a Name from Django Unchained count? Of course it's anachronistic as far as its recognition factor, but the words "moving me down the highway" could work because outlaws called the trail they rode "the highway." Still, when I heard it, I laughed out loud and it almost took me out of the movie...almost. I love the song so I wasn't upset that it was there because if you stretch your logic a bit, it could work. Still, I was wondering if that's kind of what you were talking about?

Welcome to the human race...
Iroquois, when you said this, , does a song like I Got a Name from Django Unchained count? Of course it's anachronistic as far as its recognition factor, but the words "moving me down the highway" could work because outlaws called the trail they rode "the highway." Still, when I heard it, I laughed out loud and it almost took me out of the movie...almost. I love the song so I wasn't upset that it was there because if you stretch your logic a bit, it could work. Still, I was wondering if that's kind of what you were talking about?
I reckon anachronistic songs are okay as long as they're used in a way that compensates for the anachronism itself - the use of "Cat People" in Inglourious Basterds would be a good example because it fits so well with what's happening on screen that it doesn't matter if it's an '80s song in a movie set in the '40s. My issues tend to be with the use of overplayed songs that have been used ad nauseum in visual media, songs that clash with the scenes in which they are used, or songs that are distractingly on-the-nose in how the themes and lyrics connect to those in a given scene. They tend to feel like extensions of either the filmmakers' lack of creativity or misguided creative vision (or possibly both).