Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Looking For Mr. Goodbar - 5/10

2nd viewing. I think Richard Brooks is probably the most underrated director, but was his low point, and I think his last film.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

The Wave (2015)

Norwegian disaster film that has it's strengths and weaknesses. The movie has a great look to it, and whatever location it's filmed at is breathtakingly gorgeous. I also liked how the death and destruction is treated in a tragic matter, rather than in the cartoonish way movies of this type are typically done. The biggest problem is that it's just about the most cliched movie I've ever seen. That would be ok if it was non-stop action with awesome special effects, but the action lasts for just a short time and the effects are just alright. I'm a sucker for disaster films so I did at least enjoy it. However, some of it's ads and reviews will tell you that it's better than American disaster films. That's a lie coming from foreign film snobs.

ELVIS & NIXON
(2016)

It's that famous historical image of Elvis Presley pictured in the Oval Office in 1970 with President Richard Nixon that is the subject of this surprisingly engaging and funny movie.

The meeting between Elvis and Nixon was extremely awkward, which makes for some of the most entertaining moments in the film. Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey, who play Elvis and Nixon respectively, deliver great and convincing performances.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ELVIS & NIXON
(2016)

It's that famous historical image of Elvis Presley pictured in the Oval Office in 1970 with President Richard Nixon that is the subject of this surprisingly engaging and funny movie.

The meeting between Elvis and Nixon was extremely awkward, which makes for some of the most entertaining moments in the film. Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey, who play Elvis and Nixon respectively, deliver great and convincing performances.

I found this and it made me bust out laughing

Unregistered User

Ashes and Diamonds (1958)

Excellent Polish war thriller about a young resistance fighter given an assasination job.

The Gunfighter (1950)

Peck plays the notorious Jimmy Ringo who basically has trouble at every corner. Peck was excellent in this.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

Easily the biggest surprise of these three. Fantastic for its time, really well made and the acting was excellent. What impressed me most here though was how serious and powerful this film was. It could easily have ended up as a comedy or light hearted but its not. The obstacles Grant Williams faces are deadly and life threatening and this is how he treats them. Fantastic.

++

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Dawn of the Dead (as pictured above, 1978, letterbox format)

Considering the budget and what they had to work with in terms of special effects back then, this was an eye opener. Not too gross, not too cheesy and an overall very unpleasant, pleasant surprise. I recognized Tom Savini.

The industry has evolved immensely, when it comes to zombies.

The Wolf Of Wall Street:
: There's a brilliant 140 minute movie existing within this 3 hour epic of drugs and sex and yachts, but in its current state the scenes of an exploitive con man being glorified are repetitive and boring. Watching Leonardo DiCaprio lose his legs from drugs and flop around was fantastic comedy, though.

Hugo:
: It's nice watching Scorsese step out of his comfort zone. The visuals in the movie are great. Great CGI, great set design, great colors that really pop. The flow of the narrative was off for me-it was odd to mention movies only once in the first half and then become explicitly about movies in the second-but I reccomend this movie.

The Legend of Tarzan:
: Perhaps I've been spoiled, but the CGI in this movie touches the exact same bases as The Jungle Book and looks significantly worse in every shot. Skarsgard cannot act. The movie assumes that you already know about Tarzan and Jane, and we learn nothing about them as characters. Sam L Jackson is the only redeeming feature, with an interesting character to go with his great performance.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Birthright (1939) - 6/10

Bad acting, but the racism is more accurate. It's every day life, and it seems more real, it's not sensationalist garbage with a lynching every second.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Jurassic World - 9/10 - Great acting, story, and dialogue coupled with awesome music, sound, and VFX! What keeps it from a 10/10? Just a couple things that make no sense, even for a sci-fi movie! Even so, love the movie, can't wait for the sequel (though I have no idea where they can go from here)!

The Wolf Of Wall Street:
: There's a brilliant 140 minute movie existing within this 3 hour epic of drugs and sex and yachts, but in its current state the scenes of an exploitive con man being glorified are repetitive and boring. Watching Leonardo DiCaprio lose his legs from drugs and flop around was fantastic comedy, though.
I pretty much said the same thing about this movie and people jumped all over me for it.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Personally, I have yet to see a "brilliant" movie with DiCaprio. For me, most of them are dull as hell and often too long. I've seen all of them, except for The Revenant and I only like four or five of them. None that I would truly enjoy watching multiple times.

Personally, I have yet to see a "brilliant" movie with DiCaprio. For me, most of them are dull as hell and often too long. I've seen all of them, except for The Revenant and I only like four or five of them. None that I would truly enjoy watching multiple times.
Django