Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Doom (2005) - Andrzej Bartkowiak

- One of my all-time fav guilty pleasure. I've watch this movie 8 times before and it still entertain me like the first time. Dwayne, Urban and all the marine crew are awesome and the creatures are exactly like in the old video game (that's what I like the most). It's maybe not a ''great'' flick but I still like it way more than many action movie that comes out this decade. If you want to have a good movie night with a whole of fun and if you played the video game back in the day you gonna have a blast. I love it.
+

1408: Director's Cut
It's almost impossible to acquire a copy of this film with the original theatrical ending nowadays, so I was a bit skeptical to watch this since everyone said that the theatrical ending was the better one, and I didn't want to leave the film with a sour taste.

But you know, it wasn't that bad, the Director's Cut ending. It's highly cynical, but I kinda like it. I feel that the uncomfortable nature of cynical endings like these leave more to think about than tame happy endings, since we'd be forced to question the tragic events that have occurred.
WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
Once we know that the main hero gets a happy ending,
whoop, it's over. We could move on without worries. No thoughtful reflection. It's that age-old perspective as to whether if negative feelings impact us more than positive ones, and whether if that impact would incite us to do something about it as opposed to being in a comfort zone.

The scares of this movie were decent. I enjoyed having my expectations tossed back and forth like a racket-ball, Even if the ending became rather predictable, the thrills were there, more or less. It did feel a bit longer than it needed sometimes, dragging a formulaic plot along, but it wasn't a terrible experience.

For the record, I've never read the book. Whether if one needs to learn about the source material to enjoy a movie is another topic altogether.

Prometheus:

Well, that was awful. There are a lot of great parts: strong visuals, score, the birth scene is outstanding, and most of the acting is good. They are outweighed by the terrible writing. The characters have at most 1 dimension, and Idris Elba, the third credit on the cast list, has 0 dimensions. I know literally nothing about his character. I respect it for not providing all of the answers, but at a point you have to criticize it for not providing ANY of the answers. There is basically no plot in the first hour. The main plot, with the humans going to the planet to find their makers and running into the humanoid, is completely independent of the side plot where Ridley Scott desperately tries to force as many Alien references as he can. These separate stories cross over only in the very last scene of the film. If you want to watch an ambitious technical sci-if movie about the relationship between God and man with competent writing, check out Oblivion instead.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Bundle of Joy (1956)

This is a cute rom-com starring Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. They were married in real life at the time, and Debbie Reynolds was pregnant with Carrie Fisher, so the movie was made to capitalize on the birth of their daughter. It's a cute movie, but far from the best rom-com. It has some fun moments, and it's a pleasant movie, but there are very few laugh-out-loud moments so it's not a very funny comedy. Eddie Fisher sings several songs in the movie, which was a highlight for me because I love his voice.

If you're just looking for a nice musical romance, then it's worth giving this movie a try, but don't get your hopes up too high. It's a pretty good movie, but it's far from a masterpiece.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Does
actually mean anything when you give 99% of the films you watch it?
A large amount of what you see from me in this thread is rewatches. Try to keep that in mind. And besides, why pick a movie as good as Hoosiers to stab at somebody with in the first place?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Julie (1956)

I had never heard of this movie before, but I was in the mood to watch a nice rom-com, so I randomly picked a Doris Day movie from the 1950s that I hadn't seen before. Well this movie started out with a nice pleasant theme song, sung by Doris Day, but then it quickly took a dark turn and it turned out to be the wrong movie for my mood. It stars Doris Day, but it's not a rom-com. This movie is a film noir/thriller.

But I decided to give it a chance, and I watched it anyway. It's not a great movie, but it has its moments. It has some plot holes that are big enough to drive a truck through them, and it's kind of campy for a thriller, but it's okay for a one-time watch.

Surprisingly, this movie was nominated for two Academy Awards, one for Best Original Screenplay and one for Best Song. But it's also listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book "The Official Razzie Movie Guide" as one of the "100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made", which seems more fitting for this movie.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Julie-1956.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	25457  

A large amount of what you see from me in this thread is rewatches. Try to keep that in mind. And besides, why pick a movie as good as Hoosiers to stab at somebody with in the first place?
Not trying to stab at you haha, and it had nothing to do with Hoosiers
. Just noticed you give 99% of what you watch
, and you give most of the rest

Just wondering if 5/5 is something to you when 99/100 films will get that rating?

Not trying to stab at you haha, and it had nothing to do with Hoosiers
. Just noticed you give 99% of what you watch
, and you give most of the rest

Just wondering if 5/5 is something to you when 99/100 films will get that rating?
To me, it means that there are no flaws (bad acting, etc.) that I personally could find to speak of. I say personally because someone else will always find something (or lots of things) wrong with a movie. And I think I'm usually really good at spotting those things. I reserve my
ratings for the absolute worst of the worst of the worst. Think Armageddon and Smokey and the Bandit III bad. And who knows? If I discover one even worse than those two, it just might get a

Not seen either of those. Was just curious, i think a 2.5/5 film can be one i really enjoy, i think it is nuts personally that just about every film you watch is "To me, it means that there are no flaws (bad acting, etc.) that I personally could find to speak of". Would love to be so easily amused .

Welcome to the human race...
The Weeping Meadow -
(possibly
)

Ehhhhhhh, if nothing else it's kind of impressive how Angelopoulos' films all manage to look the same no matter what.

Not seen either of those. Was just curious, i think a 2.5/5 film can be one i really enjoy, i think it is nuts personally that just about every film you watch is "To me, it means that there are no flaws (bad acting, etc.) that I personally could find to speak of". Would love to be so easily amused .
Well, it's not for a lack of looking. Every time I watch a movie, I'm looking for flaws, and my final rating depends on the amount of flaws (as well as enjoyment). All it takes is one to drop a movie to a
. Think Mulder's disappearing and reappearing head wound in The X-Files: Fight the Future (known as The X-Files: The Movie over there in Scotland if I'm not mistaken). I know, sounds really trivial, doesn't it?

Not sure why you keep referring to The X Files or why you brought up me being from Scotland but whatever. Just looked at your profile and saw you are 17, think i understand you thinking everything is great a bit better now, i was the same at your age.

Not sure why you keep referring to The X Files or why you brought up me being from Scotland but whatever. Just looked at your profile and saw you are 17, think i understand you thinking everything is great a bit better now, i was the same at your age.
I don't understand. I was making an example of what a 'flaw' is to me and I thought the wound from Mulder being shot in the head disappearing and reappearing was a good example. Also, the part about Scotland was a reference to it having a different title there as I made clear. Not sure what the point of confusion is.

I don't understand. I was making an example of what a 'flaw' is to me and I thought the wound from Mulder being shot in the head disappearing and reappearing was a good example. Also, the part about Scotland was a reference to it having a different title there as I made clear. Not sure what the point of confusion is.
You randomly bringing up The X Files is the point of confusion. You could have at least brought up the X Files movie since that is what this thread is about, anyway would you give The X Files any less than
? Didn't think so, again it is up to you how you rate stuff but 5/5 clearly doesn't take much for you when just about every movie you watch gets that rating, and i'm not even exaggerating. Would you agree?