What do people think of the IMDB successor boards?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Why is this place better, do you mean? I was never on IMDB, and certainly not on any boards that attempted to copy it after it was shut down, but this place is great for a variety of reason, many of which would become apparent if you spent some time participating in the community. I think the main thing that sets this place apart, aside from its amazing collection of great people, is the fact that the admin is super fair as well as attentive, and the boards are moderated almost 24/7.

Just my 2 cents.

Piss poor. They're all cloning the boards I never even visited. What people like me miss from the imdb boards is the individual message boards for actors, films, series, directors. THAT was something. The imdb general boards was always a cesspool of suck.
Yup. A great deal of posts on those individual boards were actually quite good or insightful. Like if you wanted a chronology of events in Primer, or an explanation for the meaning of the unicorn in Blade Runner, you knew you could get it on those boards. Or even "films you might like if you liked that movie"-type threads. There was one about most movies, which was always interesting.

To be honest, I never paid attention to the cesspool you're talking about. I just knew of it, because it sometimes transpired into the good stuff. But what I'm certain about is that, although most people will only remember the massive amount of posts on the main boards, those could not have happened without the individual movie boards.

And for those members, there will always be 3-chan.

Yup. A great deal of posts on those individual boards were actually quite good or insightful. Like if you wanted a chronology of events in Primer, or an explanation for the meaning of the unicorn in Blade Runner, you knew you could get it on those boards. Or even "films you might like if you liked that movie"-type threads. There was one about most movies, which was always interesting.

To be honest, I never paid attention to the cesspool you're talking about. I just knew of it, because it sometimes transpired into the good stuff. But what I'm certain about is that, although most people will only remember the massive amount of posts on the main boards, those could not have happened without the individual movie boards.

And for those members, there will always be 3-chan.

Oh absolutely. I never hung out on the cesspool part of the boards, often there's be someone bursting in on the individual boards screaming DRAMA OVER HERE! and if I was bored I'd go look. And of course, there was nothing to see. The individual boards were absolutely where you'd go to get your itch scratched.

I must say, I like it here. I try to me mindful of not being too "current obsession"-ish but it may take a little while to adjust.

I came here over 10 years ago after the BBC closed its messageboards. We had a lovely community on the BBC film messageboard and one where I made several real life friends who I still see to this day. When the BBC pulled the plug Tacitus who also posted on the BBC board gave me a link to here and I've been here ever since. There's again a good vibe about this board which is thanks to Chris's care and the other mofos input. I like the age range, the range of countries we're all from and the extensive knowledge of the mofos. It's a great community and I feel like I've made lots of friends here