Your favorite films that were based on or at least inspired by true events?

Tools    

Basically the above question. I liked "The pursuit of happyness."

There are quite a few, but right now I'll just mention Heavenly Creatures.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Troy...that's right...real event.

i like the big fish, i can relate to that story.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Into The Wild is such a amazing movie and story, really touched me when I saw it and not many movies do that.
You should read the book, it's very powerful.

It went under the radar, but I think "Blow" is an amazing movie. Perhaps one of Depp's best performances to date

there chemistry is good

Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Lawrence of Arabia
American Splendor
I agree, Iroquois. None of the above mentioned films hold the same special place in my heart regarding movies as West Side Story, but they're good, well-done films.

I'll also add the following to the list:

French Connection

Dirty Harry (the first one)

The Departed

West Side Story (this movie is fiction, but closer to reality in that it's about racial/ethnic tensions, urban gang warfare, love and romance that crosses the racial/ethnic barriers, delinquency, domestic abuse, drug addiction and alcoholism, and conflict with the law).

Zodiac

Munich

One Day in September

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
GoodFellas
Zodiac
Raging Bull
Schindler's List

Exactly. Not on the list.
West Side Story may not be on the list, but it, too, is inspired by a certain amount of reality, if one gets the drift.

However, I do agree that there are other movies that are inspired by true events that I forgot to add:

Schindler's List

The Pianist

Defiance

Woodstock

Gimme Shelter

Monterey Pops

Jaws: Not sure if everybody is aware of this, but Jaws was actually based on a book called Close to Shore (the name of the author of which escapes me at the moment), which actually was a true story, about a true event.

Grizzly Man