18 Great Noughties Movies You May Have Missed

Tools    

This is a list of 18 films taken from Total Film magazine. There's a link below which has a very brief synopsis about each film and a little info about why you may've missed it and why you should see it. However, to save the time of those of you who might've seen them all already, I'll list the films here.

Far North (2007)
Nine Queens (2000)
Mister Lonely (2007)
3-Iron (2004)
Me And You And Everyone We Know (2005)
Spellbound (2002)
Man Push Cart (2005)
Hidden (2005)
Hansel And Gretel (2007)
Sweet Sixteen (2002)
The Sea Inside (2004)
American Splendor (2003)
La Sombra Del Caminante (The Wandering Shadows, 2004)
The Brown Bunny (2004)
Tie Xi Qu: West Of The Tracks (2003)
101 Reykjavík (2000)
Good Bye Lenin! (2003)
Tarnation (2003)

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/18...far-north-2007

I've seen at least half and would recommend Nine Queens, Hidden, Sweet Sixteen and most of all American Splendor.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I've not gotten around to seeing Nine Queens, though I've wanted to since its release. Of the few I have seen I'd also recommend Sweet Sixteen, Spellbound and 101 Reykjavík. I have Hidden on dvd, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I'll also mention that I've tried to watch Good Bye Lenin! a couple of times, but just haven't been able to get into it.

I think The Brown Bunny is a great, insanely misunderstood movie. You won't get the film;s proper effect now that you've decided to watch that scene out of context.

See the trailer here:

I've seen none of them (hardly ever go to the cinema either)...and i have no desire to do so.
I must be a heathen!

I caught Far North not too long ago. Pretty good. Haven't seen any of the others. Thanks HK, probably gonna look a few of these up.

I've also seen The Brown Bunny and it's pretty good.

id like to add that zatoichi, twilight samurai, dirty pretty things, in search of a midnight kiss, dead mans shoes to that list and even though it came out in 1998 i still think legend of 1900 is an underated gem.

I've seen only 3 films from that list - Hidden, which I didn't really take to, American Splendor, which was indeed a very good film and Good Bye Lenin! which was meh. I'll try and check out this Spellbound though, The Honey Kid.

Hidden (aka Cache) was excellent, as was The Brown Bunny. From the list, I have also seen Good Bye Lenin! which was quite good but not a favourite, & Me And You And Everyone We Know, which was rather odd & most likely requires multiple viewings in order to appreciate fully. So many scenes just beg to be dissected & analysed from multiple angles. W/out question it is a unique & original movie. Also, it was well-written, which is very important to me. Some of the scenes seem so random that they insist you dig deeper. I was not expecting this movie to be as (slightly) disturbing & hilarious as it was. Its described in places as a romantic comedy, which is terribly short-sighted.

I also saw Man Push Cart, & its probably my favourite of the bunch listed that I have seen.
This film is a humanistic, sensitive look at an invisible, overlooked portion of society. While capturing the monotony of a physically demanding, thankless, & largely unprofitable (not to mention uninspiring) job of a man peddling his wares day in & day out to swarms of New Yorkers, it is also a fairly depthful character study of a lonely & tormented young man. This doesnt feel like a film at all, but more a documentary. Its fascinating in its simplicity, unique, & feels authentic. Well worth a watch, IMO.

id like to add that zatoichi, twilight samurai, dirty pretty things, in search of a midnight kiss, dead mans shoes to that list and even though it came out in 1998 i still think legend of 1900 is an underated gem.

I also really enjoyed Dirty Pretty Things. It tackled such diverse topics as illegal immigrants, the black market, various ethical concerns, the economy, & other social issues. It even had a bit of romance thrown in as well. Thoroughly compelling from start to finish.