Your favorite low budget film

Tools    

1. I just married an Axe Murderer
2. The Prophecy (Christopher Walken)
3. El Mariachi

My fvae:

10. Open Water
In certain spanish countries, this movie was called "Tiburones Muerden Buzos".
Which, literally, in english language, translates into "Sharks Bite Divers".
Which in shark language probably translates into "Om Nom Nom".

9. Clerks
Nerd boy Kevin Smith harnesses his experiences of working in a convienence store, writes a script, then gathers up his buddies to help put it all onto film. Thus does Mr. Smith come from behind the counter & to enter into the realm of movie-making.
And the San Diego Comic-Con will never be the same.

8. Paranormal Activity
Demon bites girl.
Which in paranormal language probabaly translates into "Om Nom Nom".

7. Brick
A great modern film noir that does an excellent job of creating a secularized teen "underworld" with it's own unique code of language.

6. Once
A tale of almost-romance, portraying the love of two people
that is borne out a shared love for creating music.

5. Man Bites Dog
Before The Blair Witch Project popularized the hand-held camera genre,
there was the project known as Man Bites Dog. Or, as the French put it,
It Happened in Your Neighborhood.
Under either title, this film may not feature a witch (heck, it doesn't even feature a man-bitten dog),
but it's still pretty high on the chillingly creepy factor.
In a plot that revolves around the concept of "found footage", MBD colorfully chronicles the documented days of the "mundane" life of a colorfully charismatic serial killer.
All told in vivid black and white.

4. Blair Witch Project
ITBH, I've always been the kind of person who never had any real inclination to go out on a camping trip of any sort.
But now, because of this film, sleeping under a tent overnight in the middle of the woods, is a situation that I can definitely say that I will never expect to try & initiate.
Ever.
And for me, The Blair Witch Project earns a couple of extra points just for that.

3. Duel
A made for TV movie that is Steven Spielberg's first major film (well, at least from my memory). And using just a big ol' rusted semi-truck, a lone Dennis Weaver & a desolate desert road, he shows why he will eventually become a king of exciting blockbuster-fare.

2. El Mariachi
Because of the severe financial restraints of this picture,
the story is forced to be told thru the creativity of all-out action
in it's most purest & unadulterated form.
Just a cool, violent & high-octane shoot-out-adventure in all it's bared-boned glory.

1. Night Of The Living Dead
To my mind, it was the first time I had ever seen the depiction of zombies as truly scary. Because, let's be honest here. Even though everyone always makes fun of the fact that they're easy to escape, the truth is, if any of us were to be truly confronted by a husk of rotting flesh that stood upright, just the idea that we were actually witnessing one of the "living dead" would be enough to makes sh#t out our own skeletons.
Or at least, scare us to a point of not being able to think as straight as one would like during such a sticky situation.

When I first read this I though "Terminator was low budget?" ... but I checked it out and considering the special effects, it really was... Footloose and Purple Rain both came out the same year... and both had a larger budget...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Low budget? How low budget?

Actually, in my thinking, the best movies made tend to be low budget films. This has always been so. An artist trying to make something special with very little. That is the test.

FAVS
Bronson (2008) Budget: estimated $1 million.
Woyzeck (1979) Buget: whatever Werner had in his pocket at the time.
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) Budget: estimated $1.5 million
The Elephant Man (1980) Budget: estimate $5 million
The Trial (1962) Budget: estimated $3 million
The Seven Samurai (1954) Budget: estimated $2 million
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Budget: estimated $5 million

Open water here for sure. freaked me out

Happy New Year from Philly!
The Virgin Machine because it had this one stripping scene that cracked me up and Susie Sexpert. Ah the Eighties!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Joe (1970), the film which brought Peter Boyle to people's attention, was made for about $106,000 in and around New York City by John G. Avildsen with an Oscar-nominated screenplay by Norman Wexler. The script and Boyle are so in-your-face in a story about drugs, murder, blackmail, adultery and racism that it's fascinating to watch and elicits hatred and hilarity, often at the same time. I definitely give the film
, and it has one of the best endings ever.

There were a number of low-budget films made in the late '60s and early '70s which were highly-influential and are considered classics today, including Easy Rider and American Graffiti.

Horror is a favorite genre of mine, and it occurred to me that there are several famous, dare I say seminal (Dare! Dare!), horror films that were made on a very low budget. I've always said good writing beats out flashy special effects every time, and these are a testament to that:

Night of the Living Dead: George Romero made this archetypal zombie movie for $116,000, and influenced a generation of filmmakers and scared the bejeezus out of the rest of us. One of the greatest horror movies ever, and made on the cheap.

Phantasm: Okay, so maybe not one of the greatest ever, but it's scary, effective, and fun. Don Coscarelli made it for $300,000. Everybody knows cheese is cheap.

Dog Soldiers: Neil Marshall's unforgettable debut film made, apparently, for just about nothing. An instant classic and very low budget.

The Evil Dead: Arguably the least of the Evil Dead trilogy, it was still the first, and as such, marvelously inventive, and, with a budget of $350,000, cost about a tenth as much as its sequel.

Paranormal Activity: I admit that I haven't seen this yet, but people whose opinion I respect have told me it's very good, and it got 86% at Rotten Tomatoes. Made for only $15,000, you can't get any more low budget than that.

(And no, I didn't forget Blair Witch Project; I just didn't like it very much).

Gah!!! How could I forget???

Halloween: Best slasher movie ever, and one of the best horror films ever made. 'Nuff said.

Gah!!! How could I forget???

Halloween: Best slasher movie ever, and one of the best horror films ever made. 'Nuff said.

I replaced the link you posted with one from photobucket... and I hope it is the right poster... The original link you posted had morphed into some kind of psychedelic rainbow...

I just married an Axe Murderer wot a classsicccccc

Paranormal Activity. NOT

Lost in never never land
Hmm, no love for the film I thought of first yet, that is disappointing. I have go with Primer. One of the headiest time travel films that takes at least a couple of viewings to notice everything that is going on. And, if I remember correctly, it was made for $6,000.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

My fave one would be El Mariachi as well; it was def very low-budget but it was great. Robert Rodriguez is a true master.

Employee of the Month
When I first read this I though "Terminator was low budget?" ... but I checked it out and considering the special effects, it really was... Footloose and Purple Rain both came out the same year... and both had a larger budget...
Cameron had gone trough the hard knocks school of Troma. So he makes the best out of everything and Terminator looks incredible for a (6,4 million expensive) Low-Budget-movie.

Duncan Jones' film Moon was made for about $5 million...which for a sci-fi movie is crazy low budget. And the result is amazing, a really beautiful film.

Musician Jobs TV Jobs

The Evil Dead
Once
Reservoir Dogs
Memento