movie going experience

Tools    

OK, I'm fed up. Fed up with the lack of respect and courtesy from other movie goers. I see movies at a theater that is not crowded. Usually less than 20 people in the theater. And yet, someone invariably sits right behind me. That's not so bad, what is bad is when they're constantly kicking your seat or hiking their feet up two seats away. On my last visit, the person got really comfy by removing his shoes. I moved seats twice on this occasion. Saying something to the offender will only make a very uncomfortable two hours.

I've tried sitting way to the far edge but I've even had a loud popcorn popper plop right behind me with that technique too. I'm almost ready to give up and go to DVDs. When my current 27" tv finally explodes and I can get a big screen, that's what I'll do.

Some people like the "social environment" of seeing a movie at a theater. Me too, if the people would act like they weren't recent escapees from the zoo.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

The last time I went to the theater, 5 teenage females sat next to me and were relatively quiet until the movie started… then they started sending and receiving text messages… I put up with the light from the cell phones, the whispers, and the giggles for about 5 minutes in the hope they would stop on their own… but, unfortunately, that was not the case and I ended up telling them if they wanted to text message, they needed to leave or else refund me the price of my ticket so I could come back later… they didn't like it too much but they did stop…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I think for some young kids, its a bit much to expect them to sit through a film at the cinema. When viewing King kong recently, a man sat down next to me with his two young children in tow, one looked around 7 years, the other was maybe 4. Through the whole film the boys either asked questions loudly, cried at the screen and then there were the twenty minutes in which the father abandoned the kids during the screening, while he got them an icecream.

It was great.

Randomly visiting for now
I haven't had a bad experience since I was little, maybe it's because I got bigger and when you are a group of about 8 19 yr old guys and 6 girls people generally avoid you assuming you'll all be noisy and troublesome but we're not i swear, ok maybe a little rowdy before the movie but not during

When i went to see Elizabethtown in theaters there was this group of teenage girls behind me that kept on yelling things at the screen, and towards the end, seriously, starting farting at each other. It's ridiculous, people could save ten bucks and fart and yell at each other at home. Ticks me off.

if there are four people in the theatre, the other two will come and sit in back of us...and talk and talk and talk and talk....

or you get people who kick t he back of the seat that you a re sitting on

or you bring a whole bunch of kids to the theatre, let them talk and run around and take over the entire back row

Originally Posted by TwentyOne
When i went to see Elizabethtown in theaters there was this group of teenage girls behind me that kept on yelling things at the screen, and towards the end, seriously, starting farting at each other. It's ridiculous, people could save ten bucks and fart and yell at each other at home. Ticks me off.

Why didn't you report them to a theater employee?

When I went to see Star Wars last year a group of 12 year olds were sat a couple of rows in front of me, right on the front row, and throughout the whole film they were laughing, talking and texting people. I told them they'd better shut up or i'll have em thrown out so for about 2 minutes they were quiet and then they started again! Eventually some other people must've gone to complain because one of the cinema employees came and warned them, but they carried on, and were even rolling around on the floor in front of their seats. After a while someone came and kicked them out.
It makes you wonder why they bother paying to see the film, they can talk and text people at home. Well....they probably didn't even pay to see it anyway.
Luckily the film was terrible anyway so it didn't bother me too much.

I hate that so hard... Everytime someone talks I set them strait. If they continue I just move because I want to enjoy the film and get my money's worth...
"Directing ain't about drawing a neat little picture and showing it to the cameraman. I didn't want to go to film school. I didn't know what the point was. The fact is, you don't know what directing is until the sun is setting and you've got to get five shots and you're only going to get two." - David Fincher

I kind of find that I can't really enjoy a movie if I see it with anyone else, at least, not my family. Most of the people I know talk through movies. For me, it ruins the whole reality that I try to build to sort of put myself in the story.

Originally Posted by Eyes
I kind of find that I can't really enjoy a movie if I see it with anyone else, at least, not my family. Most of the people I know talk through movies. For me, it ruins the whole reality that I try to build to sort of put myself in the story.
That's why I only go with my closest friends or a girl. Most people tend to just yap it away. I mean I'm there to see the movie. If they wanted to talk we should have gone and shot pool. Yanno?

I am half agony, half hope.
I hate cell phones, and the dweebs that think the trailers don't count as part of the film experience and talk right through them.
My husband won't see movies with me anymore because I tell people to knock off the talking, and he thinks he's gonna have to defend me or something... So I go by myself or with a friend that can be quiet.

Johann von Goethe

Originally Posted by Mrs. Darcy
I hate cell phones, and the dweebs that think the trailers don't count as part of the film experience and talk right through them.
My husband won't see movies with me anymore because I tell people to knock off the talking, and he thinks he's gonna have to defend me or something... So I go by myself or with a friend that can be quiet.
Yeah I hear ya....

BTW why can't I start a new thread?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
dude, you should have seen me in hawaii. i have family there and i've been back over the years but i swear it's gotten worse. the lifestyle there is reallllllly lax, you know, everyone's superchill in flipflops and surfbaggy clothes and there's all this "shrug, be rude, who cares" attitude going on. i'm only 26 and i feel like a cranky old woman.

so we went into this theater, and yep, here come some kids, somewhere between 13-15. they sit on the opposite side (split theater). then some of their friends sit on our side. then they start cackling, yelling, cursing, shouting, throwing stuff - back and forth across the two sides. they do a lot of bouncing in the seats, jumping up, running down to the front (one at a time, two at a time), then bouncing around, jumping up, running back to their old seat, switching spots.

i have a long temper build up, so people can get away with a lot until they take one step too far and then i blow up. so i let them carry on even through the trailers (which are also sacred to me). but after five minutes of that crap after the movie started, in the dark, I turned around and yelled, super low and angry, (as though i were one of them, so they would GET it: WILL YOU SHUT THE F*CK UP?

and then, quite blissfully, they did.

it's not that they come to text each other and make noise. they also may or may not have paid. they come to get attention. they know they're p*ssing you off. they don't really care. they like to see what they can get away with. it's like a 3 year old running into the living room deliberately pulling their pants down because they enjoy being disruptive. makes me wanna kick all their @sses.

anyway, i generally do not go with more than one other person. i used to go by myself all the time, and i do prefer it that way actually. no one to mess with the emotions of my experience, the theater experience is very sacred to me - as long as others are respectful of everyone else. when they aren't, i generally do get up and move or bear it, but it makes it hell for me.

i just don't get parents who bring kids under 9. seriously, unless it's a kids movie, don't be so selfish. we know you want to get out of the house, but hey, you had kids, you gotta compromise. that means get a babysitter, get a friend, get someone to watch them, but don't bring them into a pg-13 and up movie, for goodness' sakes. we know they don't have the attention span to make it. then again i'm sure if you spanked them when they made noise they'd get it, but then they'd cry. and i'm sure most folks don't want to resort to corporal punishment.

Originally Posted by thmilin
dude, you should have seen me in hawaii. i have family there and i've been back over the years but i swear it's gotten worse. the lifestyle there is reallllllly lax, you know, everyone's superchill in flipflops and surfbaggy clothes and there's all this "shrug, be rude, who cares" attitude going on. i'm only 26 and i feel like a cranky old woman.

so we went into this theater, and yep, here come some kids, somewhere between 13-15. they sit on the opposite side (split theater). then some of their friends sit on our side. then they start cackling, yelling, cursing, shouting, throwing stuff - back and forth across the two sides. they do a lot of bouncing in the seats, jumping up, running down to the front (one at a time, two at a time), then bouncing around, jumping up, running back to their old seat, switching spots.

i have a long temper build up, so people can get away with a lot until they take one step too far and then i blow up. so i let them carry on even through the trailers (which are also sacred to me). but after five minutes of that crap after the movie started, in the dark, I turned around and yelled, super low and angry, (as though i were one of them, so they would GET it: WILL YOU SHUT THE F*CK UP?

and then, quite blissfully, they did.

it's not that they come to text each other and make noise. they also may or may not have paid. they come to get attention. they know they're p*ssing you off. they don't really care. they like to see what they can get away with. it's like a 3 year old running into the living room deliberately pulling their pants down because they enjoy being disruptive. makes me wanna kick all their @sses.

anyway, i generally do not go with more than one other person. i used to go by myself all the time, and i do prefer it that way actually. no one to mess with the emotions of my experience, the theater experience is very sacred to me - as long as others are respectful of everyone else. when they aren't, i generally do get up and move or bear it, but it makes it hell for me.

i just don't get parents who bring kids under 9. seriously, unless it's a kids movie, don't be so selfish. we know you want to get out of the house, but hey, you had kids, you gotta compromise. that means get a babysitter, get a friend, get someone to watch them, but don't bring them into a pg-13 and up movie, for goodness' sakes. we know they don't have the attention span to make it. then again i'm sure if you spanked them when they made noise they'd get it, but then they'd cry. and i'm sure most folks don't want to resort to corporal punishment.
Well said. Maybe it would all go away if there was one dude who stood in the back with stick of some sort, and if people act up in a film he walks up and waves his stick as a warning.... Then if they do it again he forcefully removes them from the theater. Plus he would have a sick job. He would just have to watch movies all day and occasionally kick some kids out which would also be fun. But they would have to rotate what theaters those guys were in cuz seeing the same movie over and over can drive any person mad...

Originally Posted by thmilin
I turned around and yelled, super low and angry, (as though i were one of them, so they would GET it: WILL YOU SHUT THE F*CK UP?
Man that was beautiful. I think there's a tear in my eye just thinking about it.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George just turns around and screams at the two loud bozos behind him that if they dont shut up, he's gonna take it outside with them. That was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet indeed.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
hahaha, a man with a stick would be fun. yeah, rotating them would be cool.

Escape, it had to be done! it had to be done. *shakes head* but i'm glad to have brought tears to your eyes. it was a powerful, touching moment.

hehehe, truthbetold i was hoping to avoid having to do it but it just got so bad i had no choice. :P but it did let me get my tension out. hehe.

What's worse is that movie theatres continue to expect us to pay rising costs to sit through those kind of conditions. It's no surprise movie pirating is shooting up, no one can stand theatre quality conditions any more. If ticket prices were maybe lowered to $5 maybe I'd consider going to see a movie in a modern day movie theatre. For now I'm happy waiting for DVD's and watching them in the comfort of my living room.

Originally Posted by FilmPirate
That's why I only go with my closest friends or a girl. Most people tend to just yap it away. I mean I'm there to see the movie. If they wanted to talk we should have gone and shot pool. Yanno?
Yes, Exactly! I see how easily movies are ruined when I watch it with other people. My mom will interrupt and suddenly start talking about an actress's new hairdoo or boyfriend, and it drives me nuts. And yet, with these same people, if I were to go out and say, shoot pool, then I'll start talking, and they'll tell me to be quite, they're trying to focus on their shot. Just can't win all of em I guess, lol.