Marketing Hits and Misses

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
I've seen a few commercials for Queen Latifah's new movie Last Holiday out...and I thought....ehhh...another movie written for a personality. I'll wait for the DVD. Then it happens...
.....I see her tonight on Emeril Live (and I do like her)...a Food Network show I watch quite often. Then I get sucked into Food Network goes Hollywood, which goes behind the camera on what the Food Network Stlyists did for Last Holiday. Now I'm hooked...I'm so there...and am now dying to see this movie eventhough I'm not expecting much as far as story or acting. Whoever thought up the idea of promoting this movie through FoodNetwork...and in turn promoting the Food Network through the movie deserve a big bonus.

Also...I love Paula Deen...and I got sucked into the following Food Networkshow...Paula goes Hollywood. The movie Elizabeth Town got mixed reviews by me...but now that I know Paula Deen is in it....I'm going to make an effort to see it. Another bonus is in order.

I'd like to hear from others if they've been dramatically influenced by marketing on a movie...

...and I'd also like to hear if there is a movie you didn't think the marketing did justice to the film.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
A marketing miss: Lost In Translations as a Bill Murray comedy. I love Bill Murray comedies, and I love LiT, but whoever thought it would be smart to claim one was the other oughtta be selling icewater to Eskimoes. For the rest of their life.

Fascinating topic, Anniebelle. I'll be looking for things to add.

In the Beginning...
You've mentioned before the fact that Sideways was marketed as a romantic comedy, which it really isn't (when you consider most other films of that genre). People went in expecting something, and ended up getting something else.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was marketed as a borderline-horror suspense thriller, but it was more a courtroom drama than anything.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Family Stone.

It has more emotion then comedy.

The Village...speaks for itself.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Stigmata, marketed as a horror, but was more of a supernatural-themed drama. A good film, but people slated it cos they expected scary.

Originally Posted by Sleezy

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was marketed as a borderline-horror suspense thriller, but it was more a courtroom drama than anything.
you are so right! i was so hyped to see that movie since "The Exorcist"
scared the bejesus out of me...

but that movie WAS a courtoom drama not a horror movie...