Red Eye

→ in
Tools    

This is a slick thriller from director Wes Craven taking a swing at the Hitchcockian suspense genre (more or less) as opposed to his usual horror fare.

Rachel McAdams is hot! And co-star Cillian Murphy does a great job playing the psychotic weirdo (that seems to be his calling card).

All in all, a fun ride.

All I have to say is : STFU ..Who cares what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey...I do. (sorry, bro...but darkhorse is A-O-K in my book)

Too bad his taste stinks like my hairy armpit. Who-boy...am I weird tonight. Just shows what a good mood can do to a young swedish boy.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by 7thson
Okay I was wrong... I take it back..
Okay, whatever!

Hey, I think you're the cat's meow, Se7en...but it's time to give an Indian a break.

It doesn't hurt that I pounded 2 9% beers right before I posted that. No offence to your coolness darkhorse.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Hey, I think you're the cat's meow, Se7en...but it's time to give an Indian a break.

It doesn't hurt that I pounded 2 9% beers right before I posted that. No offence to your coolness darkhorse.
No offence taken, dude! To cool to take offence.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Not too cool to spell too correctly. <hiccup>
Good thing this isn't a spelling bee!

Darkhorse, I hope you will take the following how it is meant… as constructive criticism…

Something is missing between:

This is a slick thriller from director Wes Craven taking a swing at the Hitchcockian suspense genre (more or less) as opposed to his usual horror fare.
And

Rachel McAdams is hot! And co-star Cillian Murphy does a great job playing the psychotic weirdo (that seems to be his calling card).
Like the actual review… and from your previous posts, I know you're up to it… otherwise, this would have been better posted in the Movie Tab thread... IMO... sorry...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I loved the trailer, the touching romantic build up leading towards the sudden twist of Cillian's character to psycho. From this i was expecting an intriguing horror, however to hear it's a mere thriller is slightly disappointing.

Contrary to what i thoguht, i actually enjoyed this movie. It got a little silly towards the end, but ultimately it was worth seeing, entertaining.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Has Red Eye got monsters in it?
Only the human kind.
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Darkhorse, I hope you will take the following how it is meant… as constructive criticism…
Point taken. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a more extensive review of the movie. Just wanted to start a discussion. Maybe I will post a review at some point.
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I loved the trailer, the touching romantic build up leading towards the sudden twist of Cillian's character to psycho. From this i was expecting an intriguing horror, however to hear it's a mere thriller is slightly disappointing.
I think the fact that it is a Hitchcockian thriller as opposed to a horror flick makes it all the more compelling.
Originally Posted by TwentyOne
Contrary to what i thoguht, i actually enjoyed this movie. It got a little silly towards the end, but ultimately it was worth seeing, entertaining.
The chase at the end was a bit far-fetched, I admit, but it was still entertaining to watch. This is, by far, my favorite film genre--the twisty suspense thriller in the Hitchcock mode. I totally enjoyed it. Add to that... Rachel McAdams!

Originally Posted by darkhorse
Point taken. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a more extensive review of the movie. Just wanted to start a discussion. Maybe I will post a review at some point.

I hated to say anything... however, your first sentence, in this thread, snagged my attention... but instead of following that sentence up, you took a sharp left and moved on to comment about how hot you thought McAdams was… never really giving any insight into why Red Eye was a "fun ride" … so, I hope you do write a review… I would like to read it…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I hated to say anything... however, your first sentence, in this thread, snagged my attention... but instead of following that sentence up, you took a sharp left and moved on to comment about how hot you thought McAdams was… never really giving any insight into why Red Eye was a "fun ride" … so, I hope you do write a review… I would like to read it…
Well... what can I say! Rachel McAdams is VAVAVOOM! A thing like that tends to catch the attention of a guy like me more than anything else! However, to satisfy you (and you alone), I WILL post a review of the movie sometime soon! Hope you like it!

Starcraft good in 97' good now
Red Eye was not bad though they have some stupid angles and a couple of random things like the drink scene

Red Eye sucks. I hope Wes Craven isn't reading this (cause I love several of his movies), though I think he should know what's wrong with Red Eye. It is so cliched and the end of the film is like Scream 1 (as well as it's sequels).

WARNING: "Red Eye's Ending" spoilers below
Basically, Rachel McAdams (Lisa) manages to escape Cillian Murphy (Jackson) and get off the plane once it lands at the Miami airport. After stabbing him in the throat with a pen, chased through the airport, stealing a car and racing to her dad's house to see if he's still alive... she makes it to the house, only Cillian has caught up with her. There is a LONG cat & mouse scene through the house. Finally, Cillian almost has the chance to kill Rachel, but her father (Brian Cox) gets up and shoots Cillian dead with a gun. It is very Scream. Wes is copying himself. Also, before the credits roll, there is a moment where an annoyed couple at the hotel that we saw at the start of the film is STILL annoyed about something, even after a room in the hotel was bombed in a terrorist attack. There is no way these people should be acting like that. Trust me, this is not some wonderful film dealing with 9/11 emotions. This movie is a HUGE mistake!

It does have a nice, cute little beginning, but after that it's just silly. Cillian and Rachel give good performances, but this is a cliched, done-wrong Wes Craven film. I couldn't believe that so many critics gave this film a B grade. I give it a C or a D+.

Okay, here's my review (the one I promised Caitlyn)...

Red Eye is a clever suspense thriller which starts out with a lot of potential, takes a number of surprising and thrilling twists and turns, and ends with a slightly clichéd chase sequence. However, it leaves you pretty satisfied and, in my opinion, is well worth the time and admission.

I have to give Wes Craven credit for the strong female characters he has created in the movies, and Lisa, played by Rachel McAdams, is no exception. She has a lot of qualities going for her--she is smart, savvy, sexy, capable, quick-witted, courageous and able to defend herself against brutal and cold-blooded abuse at the hands of her hostage-taker—portrayed, in a chillingly convincing performance, by Cillian Murphy.

The movie begins with Lisa (Rachel) at the airport, catching a "red eye" flight to from Texas to Miami, where she is the top concierge at one of the leading hotels in the city. At the airport, she has a chance encounter with Jackson Rippner (Cillian Murphy), a suave, charming stranger with a name that is, interestingly, evocative of "Jack the Ripper". It turns out that the two have been assigned seats together on the aircraft, and, having hit it off initially, it looks like a setup for a romantic interlude. However, Rippner's name gives him away, as his mask of charm and courtesy is quickly stripped away to reveal the heart of a cold, sadistic psychopath who intends to hold Lisa hostage until she cooperates with his insidious scheme to assassinate the family of the US Secretary of Defense.

Lisa at first supposes that Jack plans to hijack the plane, but when his true plans are revealed, she attempts, in various ways, to shake him off. Finally, stretched to the limit, she snaps and lashes out at her hostage-taker. What follows is a nail-biting chase sequence that ends in Lisa's father's house and a final confrontation with the psycho.

Yes, the ending is slightly clichéd in parts, but the story as a whole is clever and polished. The thread of the movie is Hitchcockian and the film keeps you on edge to the bitter end. It does a great job of conveying the emotional roller-coaster ride that Lisa’s character has to endure. A strong, clever plot is ably supported by excellent performances from both leads. Rachel McAdams looks very hot as a redhead (as opposed to her natural blonde) and Cillian Murphy makes the transition from charming lady’s man to sadistic psychopath very convincingly.

All in all, this movie is way more intelligent and sophisticated than the Scream trilogy and what makes it especially remarkable is the strong female lead performance by Rachel McAdams bringing a compelling female character to life.