The Road

Tools    

Okay, cool. I knew he had made a couple little-seen features prior to The Proposition, but in situations like that it's common to refer to someone's first big-budget effort as their "first".

In any event, Hillcoat's involvement is actually one of the main reasons I'm interested in The Road.

Registered Creature
It's my most anticipated of the year. Trailer's kinda terrible, but I doubt it gives any indication of what the film will be like.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I've tried those clips a few times, and I get "video cannot be found." Not sure what is up with that.

I've anticipated this film a lot, but I also find it to the most mysterious movie of all -- the long wait, the October release, the clips that can't be seen, the opening of the trailer which seemed out of step with the book, the comments by people that are angry with how this is coming out...... I really wonder how this will all play out.

the long wait, the October release, the clips that can't be seen, the opening of the trailer which seemed out of step with the book, the comments by people that are angry with how this is coming out...... I really wonder how this will all play out.
I think it's released at the end of November in the States.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The reviews are in.... it is fresh, in the 70s on rottentomatoes, and it seems like a mixed bag a bit. From what I read, the film sounds worthwhile; some critics think it caught McCormack's haunting tale, while others (Todd McCarthy) felt it lacked the emotional depth of the novel. Viggo is getting great reviews but the actor who plays the boy isn't.

I'm guessing already that Viggo gets another Oscar nom.

I can't wait to see it. Nothing I read makes me not want to see it. I want the ending to affect me like the book did... I wonder if it will....

looks awesome I liked it!

You want to post like me?
The danish site where I order my movie tickets claim that this is the only place on the web where you can watch this clip. I doubt it's true but I thought I'd share anyway.

http://www.kino.dk/Nyheder/2010/01/K...Mortensen.aspx

Old Review:
Right i've seen it and im not going to do a full review im too tired for that. This is just a quick overview of what I thought.
First off I have not read the book so I cannot make any comparisons but I may think about reading it now.

I felt both Mortensen and McPhee performed well as the lead two and the post-apocalypic setting was created extremely well. The film was bleak and even though there were uplifting moments in the film they were few and far between. Some people may find the film a little too depressing because of this, but I found it to be quite unique. Whereas most films like this give you some sort of false hope from the beginning, this didn't. It just laid everything out and yes, the outcome didn't look so good but you as the viewer wanted it to be for the characters sake.

However the reason it doesnt get a higher rating is down to the overall plot...it didn't have any real depth to it. Its a shame, but the film still gets a 4 because the acting, the setting...everything else is perfect. The plot 'could' be greatly improved but the film creates a certain atmosphere which for me keeps the film going until the credits start rolling. Maybe my opinion on the plot will change after a second viewing...that is something I will be doing!

My OLD verdict 4 out of 5*
*Can someone tell me how to post up that popcorn rating thing please? Thank you*#

EDIT -

Okay, I've been thinking over my review and I've missed a lot out most likely because I was tired. Due to these changes the review score will be effected. [I will keep the old review up as I'll probably forget to mention what I already have.]

Yes, both actors perform well as their characters however the bond between father and son just isn't there. Both actors were new to each other and I found this a little too obvious during the film. You start to see a connection as the films draws to a close but for me it was too late, which is unfortunate because a scene towards the end of the film would have had a greater effect on me if that bond had been formed.

Also I found a certain twist to be a wasted opportunity. Instead of building up and then throwing it in your face, it felt as though it was being quietly passed under a door. 'Oh, I almost forgot, here's another pointless twist.' In the end I took little notice of it.

I foolishly stated in my original review that 'the film still gets a 4 because the acting, the setting...everything else is perfect.' I stick to my opinion on the setting and the soundtrack, these both set the dreary mood of the film, yet the acting is not as perfect as I stated. I have enjoyed Mortensen's past films however he and Kodi didn't create a strong enough bond for me, perhaps it could have been formed if the film was an hour or so longer, but at 2 hours already I'd have been bored by that point.

As I said in my original review I will be watching the film again, but not for entertainment I simply want to confirm my judgement.

In my opinion if you don't go and see this movie, you wont be missing anything extraordinary but if this film does interest you in anyway then please do check it out.

My verdict - 3 out of 5 (Worth a watch, even if only once.)

*To add I have read John Mclane's review of The Road and I do agree on several points that he made, but I ask that you watch the film and make up your own decision. Oh and yes I know my English is terrible!*

... I never got to see it, and I believe its been ignored by critics groups and awards shows.

I don't get what happened?
To be honest, I think you answered your own question there, honey. A strong 'serious' film, that many were looking forward to, has failed to deliver. I know a couple of people who've seen it and they're pretty much of the same opinion of BF's new opinion. If you miss it, you're not missing anything but, by all means, see it if it interests you. That seems to be the message I'm getting the most.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
What a dark depressing movie. I don't see any value in this thing, except for the kindness of dirty strangers.