Most Memorable Trailers?

Tools    

I thought I'd finally leap into starting a thread of my own... with something fairly easy;

What trailers do you consider to be the most memorable to you?
The only movie trailer (I'd prefer to call it a movie ad, since I saw it on television) that I can even remember was that scene in Saving Pvt. Ryan where an official Army car pulls up in front of that farmhouse and we see the mother go out through the screened front door and sink down upon the porch as the grim group of officers get out and she knows they're coming with bad news. It was the only interesting scene in the whole damn movie, and of course the whole thing is right there in the trailer; the film doesn't explore it any further at all. I later saw the movie, but not because of the trailer or the incredible pile of hype on TV and in magazines about the film; no, I went because my sons invited me to a dinner and movie. Well, at least the dinner was satisfactory.

Personally, I've always thought trailers were a waste of time, even when I was a kid. They were just a pause between the movie and cartoon when you could run to the toilet or load up at the snack bar.

Now as an adult, I try to get to the theater and seated just when the film is about to start so I don't have to waste time on trailers about films I don't want to see. If my timing is off and I'm subjected to more than one or two trailers, I sometimes start making rude remarks about the quality of films being previewed.

The dumbest thing about trailers whether they are shown in theaters or as ads on TV is that they almost always tell you all the main things about the film, so you can figure the whole thing out. "This guy's a framed government agent, and that's the bad guy, and here's the love interest, and there's a lot of car chases and shoot outs and that last scene is on top of the building from which the framed agent is probably going to throw the bad guy. Ho hum. Next story...." I've even seen trailers for comedies that included the film's best jokes--what's left to go to the film for?

Originally Posted by rufnek
If my timing is off and I'm subjected to more than one or two trailers, I sometimes start making rude remarks about the quality of films being previewed.
Oh, that was you?!? Then I have a message for you: shut the fu*k up. The movie theater isn't your living room. Make the rude remarks in the parking lot. You've already identified yourself in THIS thread as well. I think it's amazing that if someone doesn't think trailers are important to them then they figure it must be OK to be rude to everybody else in the theatre, but so be it. I guess.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh, that was you?!? Then I have a message for you: shut the fu*k up. The movie theater isn't your living room. Make the rude remarks in the parking lot.

You can probably find yourself in THIS thread as well.
Oh, sorry, Pike, wouldn't want my talking to my wife during the trailers interrupt you while you're answering your cell phone calls or distributing the cokes, popcorn, and candy you just brought back for all the members of your group, or interfere with your third or fourth move to another identical row of seats. Besides, didn't think you could hear me they way the pump up the sound while they're running the trailers. I could hardly hear me myself.

I don't talk during movies, but then I've never considered trailers to be part of the movie and never will. They're just uncalled for commercials.

But there's little chance you and I will ever end up in the same movie theater. No city is big enough for two curmudgeons of our caliber.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
The dumbest thing about trailers whether they are shown in theaters or as ads on TV is that they almost always tell you all the main things about the film, so you can figure the whole thing out.
Well nimrod, what do you expect them to show you? The main actors standing in front of a white backdrop and shouting "SEE OUR MOVIE!"

That's what makes the trailer, the plot contained in it. Otherwise, we'd be clueless as to what we're going to see (as desolate as it was with details, at least you were able to figure out just what was going on in the Cloverfield trailer)

And tell me then, how do you know what the film's about when you're going to go see it? Who tells you all the details? Because if you hate seeing trailers, then you MUST hate reading about upcoming films in the newspapers and magazines and having your friends telling you what film's to go see and such...

I don't talk during movies, but then I've never considered trailers to be part of the movie and never will. They're just uncalled for commercials.
Yes, you've made it clear that you think trailers are unimportant, uninteresting, unnecessary, yadda-yadda. So if you feel that way, I guess you may as well subject everybody else to it. You may not talk during the film itself (just your wife's occasional comments, apparently) but in my experience well over half the time the people chatting it up through the trailers are the same ones who are going to be chatting it up during the flick itself.

But you go right on thinking it's not rude. I'm sure the people who talk during the movie don't think they're being rude either, but their rationalizations probably aren't as valid as yours.

Most Memorable Trailer i have ever seen was the orignal one for spiderman. it showed him web slinging threw town and ended with him catching the bad guys in a huge spider web that was between the world trade centers. it was only shown a hand full of times before it was quickly taken off and i suppose they had to go back threw the film to fix everything due to the fact 9/11 had just happened and they did not want to rub salt in the wounds of the familys. it gave me goose bumps

Well nimrod, what do you expect them to show you?
Nimrod? Now ain't you just too familar. Especially since we've never been properly introduced.

That's what makes the trailer, the plot contained in it. Otherwise, we'd be clueless as to what we're going to see.
No, now you're just showing your limited exposure to other kinds of trailers. Like the one Hitchcock did for Psycho, with Hitch giving a tour of the movie set: "There's the window that she watched from," "Here's where he was stabbed at the top of these stairs, the body falling back, tumbling over and over and landing with a crash at the bottom of the stairs. It was twisted so, so...well never mind." "Here's the bathroom where it happened. The blood was everywhere." The only scene from the movie was a sudden cut to a closeup of Janet Leigh's mouth screaming. It showed almost nothing of the movie beyond the set; it hinted at but gave no real details of the plot or actors, it built up suspense and depended on the audience's imagination to color in the details that later had people standing in line to see, especially after Hitchcock made a big deal in the press and at the start of the film about not revealing details of the film to those who haven't seen it. So it has been done by people with more imagination than Hollywood can muster today.

And tell me then, how do you know what the film's about when you're going to go see it? Who tells you all the details? Because if you hate seeing trailers, then you MUST hate reading about upcoming films in the newspapers and magazines and having your friends telling you what film's to go see
Ahhh, there you go again: Making unbased assumptions about people you know nothing about. I hate seeing trailers because they nothing but ads put out by the studio that's trying to sell tickets and that therefore has every reason to make the movie look much better than it really is. That's like buying your next car based on the company's TV ad without doing any comparative shopping.

Besides I don't want to know "all about" the film--there's got to be some surprise left to make worthwhile. Otherwise, it's like kissing your maiden aunt.

Actually I enjoy reading reviews and unbiased reports of the problems the studio is having with a film or director or actor. I especially enjoy reviews where the writer just rips the film or director or cast--all three is even better. But if a review has something good to say about a film that gets my interest, I'm willing to give it a try. Mostly I rely on what I read about a film compared with what I've liked or disliked about other films in the past. I took a chance on Rainman because it had Hoffman as a strong counterbalance to Cruise, and it paid off because Hoffman was able to carry the whole film. My interest in Gena Davis and the WWII women's league baseball took me to League of Their Own, where I discovered that Tom Hanks had moved beyond the stupid twentysomething comedies to become a real actor. Never saw the trailers, just read about the film and actors and made a choice based on my own preferences. I like to argue the merits of films with some of my relatives who have an interesting and usually different perspective. But I rarely have reason to discuss films with friends. We usually talk about more important things.

Yes, you've made it clear that you think trailers are unimportant, uninteresting, unnecessary, yadda-yadda. So if you feel that way, I guess you may as well subject everybody else to it. You may not talk during the film itself (just your wife's occasional comments, apparently) but in my experience well over half the time the people chatting it up through the trailers are the same ones who are going to be chatting it up during the flick itself.

But you go right on thinking it's not rude. I'm sure the people who talk during the movie don't think they're being rude either, but their rationalizations probably aren't as valid as yours.
Well, like James Dean once said, Pike, "You're touchy as an ol' cook." Don't take much to get your bloodpressure up and steam coming out your ears. Now, there's no way for you to know if I really talk during films or not. Or how often. Or how loud. Or if that's acceptable or not in my part of the country. There are a couple of theaters here in Houston that serve you dinner at your seat in the theater. So there are people buzzing for waiters, waiters coming and going, orders given, checks paid, all through the movie. First time I went, what trailer came on right after my pasta was served? How to Eat Fried Worms. So no, I don't pay any attention to trailers at all.

But even if I'm shouting at the screen at the top of my lungs (as the whole audience used to do in Army post theaters), it's no skin off of your nose because you're never going to be within sound of my voice. So why get yourself so upset over something you'll never experience?

Movie Forums Critic
Jurassic Park

i tihnk the juno trailor was perfect.

Recently i thought Jumper had a really memorable trailer. Too bad the movie sucked.
Right the trailer is promising...but i can say the entire movie is not that sucked...Probably there are parts but not all of them...I like the special effect of the movie...

Hello im new here so hola!
and looking for the best movie trailers you have seen?
The real stunners that made you want to see the film or that are almost better than the film themselves.
i can think of a recent one 2012 which was almost better than the film itself...think disaster movies in general are like this

Recent trailers that really drew me in...

Revolutionary Road
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Shutter Island

My mind is drawing a blank right now, but those three come to mind immediately.

See the trailer here:

Hypothermia. Just a teaser, but an extremely effective one.

When I first saw the trailer to 300, my jaw dropped.

Big Chico's Movie Blog
Transformers, when I saw the trailer for part one I couldn't believe great they made the robots