Why all the 3-D?

Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
It seems like every other kids movie coming out now is in 3-D. Why is that? I went to see Up in 3-D and it hurt my eyes and the glasses were annoying. Only about a quarter of the time was the effect all that impressive. I could understand a couple movies being 3-D but now the new Ice Age and apparently the upcoming Toy Story are 3-D too. Anyone else not crazy about it?

It's just a fad like it was in the 80s. It'll go away soon enough.

As for the actual effect of it, eh, I can take it or leave it. I've seen Bolt, Monsters Vs. Aliens and Up in 3D and it looked cool but I also find the glasses annoying. Besides, movies are expensive enough without paying extra for 3D. It seems to me that most animated films these days have enough dimension with all the progress that's been made in CG and are pretty enough without the gimmick of 3D.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
We already have a thread discussing 3D in films:

- If it's 3-D, will they come?

You could say it's a fad, but I think 3-D is here to stay, this time. The technology has improved quite a bit since the days of paper red and blue glasses.

I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens in 3-D and will admit that it didn't look bad at all. Sure, there are some gimmicks that only look good in 3-D, but overall, 3-D is just a new(er) way to enjoy films. It's not as if they're forcing you to see a movie in 3-D, but it certainly ups the enjoyment factor, that is, if the movie's good.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I find that weird too. Maybe it's just a comeback for it. I can't help but notice that the animation is all "bulgy". Like in Up or Monsters vs Aliens. I wonder if they could make an animation film without the bulgy animation

Just a theory....

Kids are growing up with much more stimuli these days. Their eyes adjust better to the screen. They don't even realize how much strain the 3-D is causing. They feel it's normal, part of the movie experience, the way things are supposed to be.

I watched the Jonas Brothers movie the other day in 3-D on Blu-ray. It was pretty good, but I had to wear those paper glasses. I reviewed it in my review thread.

Making a difference
Also I'm tired of 3-D, its exhausting now

Making a difference
It's just a fad like it was in the 80s. It'll go away soon enough.

As for the actual effect of it, eh, I can take it or leave it. I've seen Bolt, Monsters Vs. Aliens and Up in 3D and it looked cool but I also find the glasses annoying. Besides, movies are expensive enough without paying extra for 3D. It seems to me that most animated films these days have enough dimension with all the progress that's been made in CG and are pretty enough without the gimmick of 3D.
i really wish it does goes away, at least for a long while or it rather be rampant if available.

One of the reasons is that they can charge more for a movie in 3-D then one in 2-D. I pay $2.00 more per ticket if I watch a movie in 3-D, then if I watch the same movie in 2-D. And it adds up. 60% of the gross for "Up," which was shown both in 3-D and 2-D was from 40% of the theaters, where it was being shown. That 40% being the theaters showing it in 3-D.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I am with Miss Vicky and TheLurkerKing it just a fad. It's been gone long enough that they have a new generation to lure into the theaters with the promise of more exciting effects and of course they can charge more.

The last 3D film I watched was Jaws 3, in the theater. That was enough for me.

This is a free country. Everyone can watch what they want

Those stupid 3D paper glasses hurt my eyes and the 3D effect rarely adds anything. I would've liked to have seen Kiss Me Kate in 3D though.

It is crap and gimmicky. I don't get James Cameron's fascination with it.

I don't understand the need to make a movie in 3D. It's expensive, detracts from the overall enjoyment of the film, and is typically utilized in films that rarely offer the opportunity to use it properly.

Do you ever think you'll be talking to a friend and have them say to you, "I thought I'd seen The Godfather before, but believe me, you haven't seen it until you see it in 3-D." It's just not going to happen, is it?

3-D's ok for horror films or animation, but even then I don't think it really adds much, if anything.