The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Tools    

You know what FF087 everyone likes attractive people but I am sorry to say a women's looks are far more important in determining the success of their social life than a man's. Just take a hard look around this site and see what is discussed. There is a whole thread devoted to actresses in their underwear, whenever an actress is mentioned more than a few men chime on her ugliness or beauty, the five most beautiful women thread is also huge while there are about five posts in the five most beautiful men thread. You can't discuss an actress without that the main topic of conversation being her looks while men's talents are discussed in depth.

No one says women are beyond shallow tendencies if being attracted to beauty is shallow. It is more probably evolutions way of helping us pick healthy mates. There are others did you know that a women is more likely to subliminally pick the 'good' smelling prospect? Believe me the good smell isn't Brut. This is what they call chemistry. Women also choose mates based on status. They choose aggressive men for breeding and more passive men for nesting, i.e marrying.

These are the way we are wired and they have consequences for our lives.

But enough about that, I am trying to dissuade you from paying attention to the media because you seem to mistake it for reality and your interpretation of it makes you bitter and, from what I have seen of your posts, misogynistic.

I am concerned because I hate to see someone tread down the lonely road of hatred and bitterness that I was on. I am not an attractive person but I had to let go of a lot of my bitterness and hatred towards the opposite sex because I didn't want to spend all my time alone. Give up a certain attachment to media and cultural biases was one of the ways that I did that.

A. You obviously didn't read my last post, I stated that both genders are driven by basically the same things.

B. Misogynistic? Okay, because I discuss the hypocrisy of some women to claim that only men care about looks, or because I'm saying something you don't agree with? Perhaps you are more nuanced in your belief, okay I can accept that. Still, you yourself are basically saying that being a man, looks are not as important. That is also a bit of a generalization as well, why is it okay for you to do that, but when I simply question that statement it's "misogyny?" I could call your statement sexist by those same parameters, but I forgot "sexism" only applies when it is a generalization about women.

C. "health," okay now I have to challenge you, what exactly does facial structure, aesthetic form, or complexion have to do with overall health? You see, this right here is my problem; when called out about being attracted to "shallow" qualities, which BTW you just criticized the opposite gender of basing too much on, you throw together some Darwinian argument for it. That may be the case, but why doesn't that apply to the other side as well?

D. You clearly have a bias, everyone does, yet when I state mine I'm just a jerk. That's pretty much how it works, right?

E. The media is only a small fraction of what I was discussing, I was more specifically referring to conversations I've had with women on this subject, and my opinions of their view points, such as the one you stated.

F. "Hate women," I've spent countless paragraphs trying to explain the similarities between the genders, and somehow you come to this conclusion? Because I question the precepts that are asserted by some women?

G. As far as actresses being called ugly, or being judged by their looks, I don't deny that. You're telling me women don't swoon over Johnny Depp, or Leonardo DiCaprio? The only difference is they don't speak out as much about the ones they find unattractive, that doesn't mean they don't find them unattractive. This goes more into the way society expects either to act, obviously men are supposed to be more assertive, and as such are expected to speak their mind.

H. As far as a woman being more successful socially if she's attractive, yes, and what it doesn't help a man's social life if he has a chiseled face, and ripped abs? A friend of mine was called "nasty" to his face by a girl at a bar, so I'm guessing improving his looks wouldn't have helped his chances? I mean, yeah if you wanted to be a model or actress, or actor; and your appearance is the central point of your success, then yes, being attractive is helpful.

I. You're not doing your gender any favors by blaming poor judgment and/or attractions on primordial triggers. This instills a perpetual victim complex.

J. I don't appreciate the condescending tone, your assumption that me pointing out blatant hypocrisies, is the result of personal frustration is down right insulting.

Let me put it this way, if a guy said that women are all after money, he would rightfully be called out for it. You say men are after beauty, and that's just fine. Hypocrisy.

Thanks for proving my point for me.

Look we could go circles in this, but we won't see eye to eye, so I'm done.

...uh the post is up there...

jrs... out of curiosity, if you had a... say 12 or 13 year old daughter would you post that clip for her to watch?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

jrs... out of curiosity, if you had a... say 12 or 13 year old daughter would you post that clip for her to watch?
Why not, besides a 12 or 13 year old probably already knows what animals mating looks like anyway. It's human nature.

it topped the box office and has set a new record. $26.27 million opening night. surpassed dark knight and harry potter

You ready? You look ready.
Quick! Someone shoot me with some silver bullets or put a stake through my heart!!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Quick! Someone shoot me with some silver bullets or put a stake through my heart!!

Silver bullets are for werewolves and there aren't any in the Twilight series...

Anyway, I survived taking my cousins to see New Moon and, for what it is, it's not that bad. Some of the special effects were actually kinda cool...

Okay, so I watched Twilight for the first time last night (review in my thread later), and all I'll say is that I gotta see New Moon now!

Silver bullets are for werewolves and there aren't any in the Twilight series...
Then what's with the werewolves in New Moon, or are you trying to be funny about how there are werewolves in it? I can't be sure.

Then what's with the werewolves in New Moon, or are you trying to be funny about how there are werewolves in it? I can't be sure.

Nope... not being funny... there really aren't any werewolves in the Twilight series... they're shape-shifters... which are totally different than werewolves... and why they can change at the drop of a hat... in full day light and don't have to wait for the full moon... Native American legends are full of stories about shape-shifters...

Movie Forums Extra
Never had yet the chance to watch the movie though i have seen the trailer and now i was really very eager to watch it... actually planning to watch this on the weekends,,,, just to share on its first day to be on the big screen alot of people already head at the malls to watch the beautiful movie,,, hoping the third book won't take long to be produced,, can't wait to see their wedding...... i love edward....

So sad I haven't seen it yet!

Nope... not being funny... there really aren't any werewolves in the Twilight series... they're shape-shifters... which are totally different than werewolves... and why they can change at the drop of a hat... in full day light and don't have to wait for the full moon... Native American legends are full of stories about shape-shifters...
OK, so we're just disagreeing about our definition of werewolves then?

I am half agony, half hope.
They use the term werewolves in the books and in the movie, however the story says the Quileutes are descended from wolves. That makes them a little different since they aren't bitten by wolves and change with a full moon. Just sayin'

Johann von Goethe

Welcome to the human race...
I got into a debate about the 'vampires' as well.

I don't classify them as vampires because they sparkle and don't have any fangs.
I classify them as vampires because they need to drink blood to live. Anything else is superfluous.