Ultraviolet

Tools    

Why should the protagonist in action films always be male? You're saying that Arnie, Stallone, Willis, Van Damme etc are all original and NOT cliched at all? There's nothing to say action heros HAVE to be male because c'mon we've seen that in every action film. It's not become cliched in my opinion, you're just too narrow minded to see female leads as anthing other than irony.

Ultraviolet

A very stylish computer game. But watching a computer game isn't that much fun, they're meant to be interactive. CGI makes things possible that didn't used to be possible but even that isn't enough to carry a movie.

Milla Jovovich as the deadly Ultraviolet alternated between cold blooded assassin and tender protector of a child. It didn't work. Pick one or the other or at least make a better transition.

Milla was in several outnumbered combat scenes and of course, dispatched her adversaries with deadly skill. Those scenes left me cold. I hope they haven't reached a saturation point. A desensitation. When Brandon Lee jumped on that table in The Crow and gunned down the bad guys and when Neo and Trinity entered the building with guns blazing to save Morpheus, those scenes gave me chills. But Milla in Ultraviolet...nothing. Here's hoping that was only because it was a bad movie.

Mostly, Ultraviolet was like a live action (with heavy CGI) anime. And maybe 10 to 15 year olds will like it. But I don't think most of those older will be too impressed.

And that leads to another point... Movies with cold blooded assassins and deaths by the dozens (or hundreds) don't seem to work with less than an R rating. That may have been Aeon Flux's downfall and maybe Ultraviolet too. You just can't sanitize a story that has deadly combat as its main theme. Kill Bill and Sin City worked great and they were R rated.

An R rated movie is not worth watching on network television because all the "naughty" bits are removed. The movie has been castrated. Well, the same might be true for Ultraviolet type movies that are rated PG13. A movie about death and killing has been "cleaned up" to reach a wider audience. I think that works in reverse. The sanitation actually hurts the movie so much that no one wants to see it. The "street cred" is gone.

A PG13 Ultraviolet might have worked if it was a very good movie but it wasn't.

I'm torn between a C- and a D+
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

A system of cells interlinked
HA! 03% on RT... I think that maight be the lowest rating I have seen on that site...

Won't be catching this...

[quote=limboslam]
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
I haven't heard of this film before, the traler looks pretty good though:

Official Site:
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/u...let/index.html

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...s/ultraviolet/[/QUOTE
The whole "female warrior" movie concept should finally be put to rest. What once was an ironic take on what a bad ass antagonist is supposed to be, has become a predictable cliche'. Ultraviolet? I liked it the first time when her name was Trinity, or Aeon Flux, or Ellen Ripley, or Sarah Connor, or any of Charlies' angels, or Lara Croft, or that Underworld babe. If these moviemakers think they're being clever by making the movie "tough guy" a woman, then I've got only one thing to say: Seen It.
don't forget Elektra

why not just call this resident evil 3? simple logic dooms this movie by way of pg-13, horrible unorginal plot, and cheesy CG. 5th element is the only movie ive seen that Milla is in. even that isn't the best of movies but it gets by for being sci-fi. any movie that steals the idea of the genome soldiers from metal gear deserves to be shat on.

good night and good luck,
redhorse

Milla looks hotter with dark hair (whodathunkit?), and Im all revved up for this one. Candy? sure! Unoriginal? you bet! Popcorn film? Absolutely! Do we care? Not at all!

Originally Posted by mack
Milla looks hotter with dark hair (whodathunkit?), and Im all revved up for this one. Candy? sure! Unoriginal? you bet! Popcorn film? Absolutely! Do we care? Not at all!
Exactly! im not going into this movie expecting top-notch acting, i just want to see stuff exploding and lots of nice special effects. at least thats my opinon. when it comes to these types of movies you know exactly what your gonna get out of it before it even comes out.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Why should the protagonist in action films always be male? You're saying that Arnie, Stallone, Willis, Van Damme etc are all original and NOT cliched at all? There's nothing to say action heros HAVE to be male because c'mon we've seen that in every action film. It's not become cliched in my opinion, you're just too narrow minded to see female leads as anthing other than irony.
You just made my point. The new action hero cliche' is the same thing all over again, only this time it's a leather clad 95 pound girl. My other point is that I honestly think that todays' moviemakers that pump out another one of these characters ACTUALLY believes they're being original. (....I know, I'll make the toughest, strongest character in my movie ...a...a....a GIRL! Nobody will see THAT coming!...) And while I'm at it, yeah, call me narrow minded, but I do find it a little more credible when someone like Arnold or Stallone or whoever is the one smashing peoples' faces in, not the 95 pound girl.

You're right- Arnie is more credible. Good shout about film makers THINKING they're being original, wouldn't be suprised but all i think filmmakers think abut is profit.

kinda like whn they"pump" out boy bands, yes? They do what sells, and originality is for the bees. $$ talks, grasshopper.

Originally Posted by limboslam
The new action hero cliche' is the same thing all over again, only this time it's a leather clad 95 pound girl.
It's all Xena's fault. She made the idea of ass kickin babes credible.

Originally Posted by Twain
It's all Xena's fault. She made the idea of ass kickin babes credible.
Hold on, now. I CAN buy into the fact that Lucy Lawless can kick ANY guy's ass. Also, personally, I think characters like Ellen Ripley from Aliens, and Sarah Connor from T2 made the female ass kicker credible. Ever since Xena, the female ass-kicker has become not so credible.

Originally Posted by limboslam
Ever since Xena, the female ass-kicker has become not so credible.
my sentiments exactly. random note: ever see how small she really is (read: thin)? Girl was practically emaciated in an episode of (Will & Grace? )

for anyone that might care the intro song is by Jem and the title of the song is 24

oh and uhh...to stay on topic...i agree bout the whole chick thing....yes....their milking milla....in the first RE....i was mad she was kickin ass cuz shes this scrawny thing...personally michelle rodrequiz or however you spell it....was the female badass of our age.....every movie shes in shes kicking some dudes ass....hardcore....i could see her in SWAT

so......what are you saying? That Rodriguez should have been Alice? *muddles over the idea*

nah. She's too short!

no...just that they need to stop beefing milla like shes this badass.....i mean....they cant even count her ass nude in RE2....her chest was like....inverted....nothing to see....shes.....not all shes beefed up to be....when i see her....i honestly think a crackwhore....*shrugs*

A friend of mine said this movie was terrible. And this coming from a guy who 99 percent of the time likes bad movies. He said alot of the scenes in which she fought a group of people, they would see the confrontation just about to take place, then the camera would comeback to the scene and they were all knocked out. That is just lame if you ask me and says that they did not want to put any bucks into the fighting choreography.

Originally Posted by NFURNO
no...just that they need to stop beefing milla like shes this badass.....i mean....they cant even count her ass nude in RE2....her chest was like....inverted....nothing to see....shes.....not all shes beefed up to be....when i see her....i honestly think a crackwhore....*shrugs*
Most ultra thin women do, so who's counting? Of course I come from a line of slim women who are known for having "a nice rack" and an odd comment from my grandfather when I was kid once about "voluptuous women" has caused me to suffer great bias: anorexic women rarely have respectable racks, and certainly the "soft" places are few and far between. Cant have an "A" cup, no can do. *shakes head*

but that's me. Milla's non-existant chest notwithstanding, I still like her.

Now ask me if she can act.

Most ultra thin women do, so who's counting? Of course I come from a line of slim women who are known for having "a nice rack" and an odd comment from my grandfather when I was kid once about "voluptuous women" has caused me to suffer great bias: anorexic women rarely have respectable racks, and certainly the "soft" places are few and far between. Cant have an "A" cup, no can do. *shakes head*
Hi-res pics please

...Now ask me if she can act.
Can she act?