Old movies you would like to see remade.

Tools    

It seems that Hollywood is in this remake mind set.

So what older movies do you all think need to be brought up to date?

My vote is for "Clash of the Titans"

In my opinion if they’re going to remake these older films that would be the one that they really could make much better.

Or perhaps a new Sherlock Holmes movie, I would like to see that.

Man of La Movies
Originally Posted by Iroquois
Metropolis or Casablanca.
Please tell me you're kidding...why mess with perfection?

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

My Reputation: Holy Crap, I'm Well thought of!!!?? I think we're going a little far here??

I'd like to see nothing remade, and more original ideas.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
I'd like to see nothing remade, and more original ideas.
Absolutely. Nothing remade, remakes suck.

Wheely cool bike girl
I've always like fantasy movies and pierod pieces, with great costumes as in Dangerous Liasons. So, I'd like to see a 'live action' version of Beauty and the Beast but done a bit less frivolous and get down to a more dark and earthy version.

Wheely cool bike girl
Speaking of fantasy, maybe THX 1138? That subject seems update-able.

Put me in your pocket...
A rated classics like Casablanca I would never want to see remade....

....but I wouldn't mind seeing a few top rated B movies that are seldom seen, like Light in the Piazza (1962) remade. Of course, remade well and updated like the current Pride and Prejudice. As much as I adored Pride and Prejudice(1940) and the 1995 mini-series, I still enjoyed the newest version remade this year. I don't believe all remakes are bad. It really just depends on the integrity of whose doing it and their desire to do it well.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by susan
i am so tired of seeing old movies remade, not once, but several times....i would love to see more originality
I know what your saying. There is a glutton of remakes lately. I guess I'm really tired of the type of family and romantic comedies that have been thrown at us the past few years. I would love to see anything that is well made whether it's an original story or remake that really well done. Unfortuntly, I think the movie makers are in a bulk food mentality and throwing out a hoard of stuff without really thinking about quality.

i think Ben Hur would be pretty good remade. kinda like the Troy style...

I absolutely loathe 're-makes' all these re-makes are complete crap. Unless any talented director takes up the job of doing the same thing; just with different actors. That'd be great. But really? All these re-makes are filled with crappy actors, directed by crappy directors and the whole movie lacks anything nice.

Originally Posted by Aniko
I know what your saying. There is a glutton of remakes lately. I guess I'm really tired of the type of family and romantic comedies that have been thrown at us the past few years. I would love to see anything that is well made whether it's an original story or remake that really well done. Unfortuntly, I think the movie makers are in a bulk food mentality and throwing out a hoard of stuff without really thinking about quality.
i did enjoy the remake of the producers...in one instance it's better than the movie and you can use certain phrases and say certain thing that were inappropriate in the 60's, however, while nathan lane and matthew broderick were excellent in their roles (i saw them on broadway as well) nothing can compare to gene wilder and zero mostel

as for a remake of war of the worlds, king kong, fun with dick and jane, and yours mine and ours i could've done without them

there's a frog in my snake oil
i did enjoy the remake of the producers...
I've been cringeing at some of the clips i've seen - mainly coz the actors could never replace the originals, like you were saying. It was horrible seeing Will Ferrell generating none of the gloriously deranged super-ham of Kenneth Mars.

and you can use certain phrases and say certain thing that were inappropriate in the 60's
There were things you couldn't say and do in the 60s!?

---

Clash of the Titans is an intriguing one tho. It could be rip-roaring in a more horror-inflected way with decently applied SFX etc - rather than endearingly-rip-roaring like the Harryhausen ones.

It seems like fairer game than most coz (a) it's a 'nicked' story anyway, and (b) it could be interpreted in a new(ish) way which would have been more difficult to achieve back in the 70s/80s.

Man of La Movies
Originally Posted by Mega Doomer
i think Ben Hur would be pretty good remade. kinda like the Troy style...

So you want to take a brilliant movie and make it tank financially and suck critically? Huh? now there's a thought.

Sorry man, but Troy blew!

Day of the Dead.

I'm not a big fan of remakes but the Dawn of the Dead remake was awesome and I'd have faith that this would be just as good.

Day of the dead is going to be remade. unless they change it Steve Miner is signed on to direct. he directed Friday the 13th part 2 & 3 and Halloween H20. while these are in no way great or classic films they are a hell of alota fun and thats what a zombie movie should be so im looking forward to it

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by samq79
Please tell me you're kidding...why mess with perfection?
To make money, I would've thought.

Personally i dont mind re-makes because it makes me apreciate the originals more.

take Charlie and the Chocolate factory. after seeing the remake i now love the original even more. (course the remake sucked)

I think Remakes have their place. I guess for me it depends on the movie.
If it's and older movie with a lot of special effects like "Clash Of The Titans" I think updating it to today’s standards of effects is a good thing. However most of the people that remake these movies also like to change the story and I don't like that.

Like "War Of The Worlds" I loved the original, the story was good but I have a hard time watching it now because of the effects. When I saw they were making a new one I was amped until I saw it, though I loved the updated effects, I think they messed with the story too much by making it all about Tom Cruse and his kids.

I say if they’re going to remake movies they need to pick past films that could benefit from the update like "King Kong", I thought it was a great movie. The effects were awesome and the story was decent, and Kong defiantly benefited from the new special effects technology we have today.