Scariest movie of all time

Tools    

District B13
Originally Posted by OG-
I think it is very rare that a writer writes the specifics of a shot. The only time I can imagine it happening is if the writer knows they are the director or if it is an incredibly visual piece, such as anything written by Charlie Kaufman, and even then I doubt the writer had much say at all in the shots themselves. The director ultimately dictates the shot, but depending on the director will collaborate greatly with the cinematographer on coming up with those shots. Then of course, the cinematographer is the person who executes it.
The few screen plays I've read (the matrix), it seems that elements of the shot are not told, but often described so as to give a general idea. If I were to write a screenplay (incessant laughing in background) I would surely dictate the specifics of the shot.

Charlie kaufman, ehh, but lets not get into that.

As for collaboration, I suppose that is what the writer and director do when making the movie. I can see a cinemtographer going "bra, you need a low frame shot and you need to dim the lights, bra", and I can see a director going, "While I disagree with your existence as a human being, your point of validity in the concept of this shot is noted, and I shall wax intellectual about it so as to deny you the burden of being considered anyone of purpose."

Originally Posted by OG-
That's about the extent of my knowledge on the situation, at least. Someone else could probably shed some more light on it. I should really learn more about cinematography, not just for personal use (because I could sure use it), but because over the past year I've developed a great respect for the people behind the camera and it is hypocritical for me to praise a cinematography so (such as I do with Christopher Doyle - but he is also hilarious and sounds like a badass in interviews) and yet not really know the truth of it all.
Yea, I'm thinking about going into cinematography myself. I believe that in today's day and age, writing, cinematography, ensemble casts, and editing are the best way to conduct business. In the near future, writing and an animating team will be all that's left.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
As for collaboration, I suppose that is what the writer and director do when making the movie. I can see a cinemtographer going "bra, you need a low frame shot and you need to dim the lights, bra", and I can see a director going, "While I disagree with your existence as a human being, your point of validity in the concept of this shot is noted, and I shall wax intellectual about it so as to deny you the burden of being considered anyone of purpose.
I have been reading quite a bit about these concepts recently, and most great directors take absolute control of the set-ups. They come up with the blocking, all the camera moves, angles, shot flow etc. The books I am reading have the cinematographer taking care of the lighting, the actual camerawork, etc...

Let's take Blade Runner, for instance. Many people hammered out a final shooting script, which did in fact have some shot ideas through-out, added by the writer, but they were just sort of general ideas on how the scene should flow. Ridley Scott then drew out what have now been dubbed "Ridleygrams", which were small thumbnail sized storyboards, and the Ridley gave the Ridleygrams to Sherman Labby to draw out full sized boards (After they had used the RGs for a while to set up shot flow etc). So, in this case, the writer tossed out a few ideas, but the director came up with all the shots, with some input from the writer, and the cinematographer didn;t get involved until after the boards were set up. The directors figures out what he wants for shots, then the cinematographer executes the ideas, perhaps adding a bit or subtracting a bit here and there.

Scorsese uses the same methods, and prefers to draw out little thumb sketches for the storyboard artist. It makes sense, as the writer is a professional story-smith, while the director is a professional visualizer. The fight scenes in Raging Bull were most certainly all mapped out to the last shot by Scorsese himself, before he had even hired a cinematographer for the project. The extras on the Raging Bull DVD go into this process pretty deeply.

That movie Candy Man was really scary to me growing up. Urban Legends are just creepy in general --I won't even look in the mirror and do the 'Bloody Mary' thing--it's just too much for me--I spook easily--

The Exorcist was also scary but after a while I just became repulsed by the Devil's language--the devil was so sexually explicit that it became distracting to me---'damn devil, you're some ole' freak aren't you?'

Also, the Ring...oh the Ring...still I'm scared from that. When she came out of the TV...I lost it!!

Only movie that ever scared me was The Wicker Man. Disgustingly unsettling all the way through.

The closest any other movie has come was Phase 4; those ants are worrying, for some reason.

Scariest thing I've ever seen overall is the TV miniseries Threads.

The Asian version of Ju on. I saw it with a friend,but still couldnt sleep!!!

I always thought The Shining was pretty scary

Yo, go to page 4. Jozie is right. I'm not saying Videodrome or Clockwork Orange are really scary but they are thought provoking. I think Cronenberg does an amazing job in all his movies. In fact... I just had a dream that I was at a Cronenberg movie last night, but then in the dream it actually turned into something that would be a cronenberg movie. maybe my dream would make a good cronenberg movie. sorry i'll stop with the confusing repetition.

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence." Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

It's really sucks! but for me the scariest movie that i wtch is the excorsis it really scared............

the nanny dvd

Ghost in the Darkness was pretty creepy for the first time as was Signs.

My parents introduced The original Psycho to me last year and I am still having nightmares. It was a great movie though.

Still silence of the lambs for me, probably because serial killers are actually real, whereas unstoppable guys running around in hockey masks aren't, etc.

I don't know if I would say it scared me as much as freaked me out, but
"Fire In The Sky"

the Movie "IT" scared the bejesus out of me when i was a kid....

i will never again trust clowns....

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
Let's take Blade Runner, for instance. Many people hammered out a final shooting script, which did in fact have some shot ideas through-out, added by the writer, but they were just sort of general ideas on how the scene should flow. Ridley Scott then drew out what have now been dubbed "Ridleygrams", which were small thumbnail sized storyboards, and the Ridley gave the Ridleygrams to Sherman Labby to draw out full sized boards (After they had used the RGs for a while to set up shot flow etc). So, in this case, the writer tossed out a few ideas, but the director came up with all the shots, with some input from the writer, and the cinematographer didn;t get involved until after the boards were set up. The directors figures out what he wants for shots, then the cinematographer executes the ideas, perhaps adding a bit or subtracting a bit here and there..
Ridley Scott.......

Originally Posted by Sedai
Scorsese uses the same methods, and prefers to draw out little thumb sketches for the storyboard artist. It makes sense, as the writer is a professional story-smith, while the director is a professional visualizer. The fight scenes in Raging Bull were most certainly all mapped out to the last shot by Scorsese himself, before he had even hired a cinematographer for the project. The extras on the Raging Bull DVD go into this process pretty deeply.
Quite interesting, I do suppose, however, that it depends on how much control the writers have as well. For instance, Kaufman has taken up the editing job numerous times, and thusly, he can really make pictures to his own whim (he seems to fit the auteur theory, at least).

What should happen is that the auteur theory should be scrapped in favor of collaboration. Directors should no longer be able to sit on their pedestal and scorn possible talent to their whim. More power to the writers, the editors, the cinematographers, the assistant directors.....

In the Beginning...
For instance, Kaufman has taken up the editing job numerous times, and thusly, he can really make pictures to his own whim (he seems to fit the auteur theory, at least).
If you're talking about Charlie Kaufman, then no, he wouldn't. He doesn't direct. He's a screenwriter (and often, a producer).

What should happen is that the auteur theory should be scrapped in favor of collaboration. Directors should no longer be able to sit on their pedestal and scorn possible talent to their whim. More power to the writers, the editors, the cinematographers, the assistant directors.....
I don't think "auteur" directors have ever been the majority. They're starting to grow in number, I'd argue (or at least become more prominent). But plenty films have been, and still are, collaborative. In fact, all films are collaborative. One person can't do every job. But at the same time, you can't fit every crew member's name on the poster underneath "a film by." That's why we have credits at the end of films.

District B13
Originally Posted by Sleezy
If you're talking about Charlie Kaufman, then no, he wouldn't. He doesn't direct. He's a screenwriter (and often, a producer).
The auteur theory is based around directors, but its premise is that all directors have a common worldview and style they use in their cinema. Charlie Kaufman, whilst not a director, fits the critera of an auteur perfectly. If you disagree, check out his films (and he does some editing too).

Ridley Scott.......

Quite interesting, I do suppose, however, that it depends on how much control the writers have as well. For instance, Kaufman has taken up the editing job numerous times, and thusly, he can really make pictures to his own whim (he seems to fit the auteur theory, at least).

Ridley Scott, what?

Made two of the best sci-fi pieces of all time? Why yes, he did....

I tend to agree on the collaboration point you make. A lot of the greatest films are brought about by great collaboration, and projects are many times elevated above what they would have been without it...

The auteur theory is based around directors, but its premise is that all directors have a common worldview and style they use in their cinema.
That actually isn't what auteur theory means at all. Aren't you studying this?

from Websters:

Auteur theory

One entry found for auteur theory.
Main Entry: au·teur theory
Pronunciation: O-'t&r-
Function: noun
: a view of filmmaking in which the director is considered the primary creative force in a motion picture

Nothing about a shared worldview by directors. Where did that come from?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The auteur theory is based around directors, but its premise is that all directors have a common worldview and style they use in their cinema.
I'm with Sedai on this one. I'm hoping that "all directors" was intended as "all directors who are auteurs" because otherwise you've completely butchered the understanding of what an auteur is.

Though also, that Websters definition is off as well. Yes, they are the primary creative force behind a movie, but for a director to also be an auteur they have to have consistency between their films. Each film cannot be creatively individualistic and the director be considered an auteur.