Trippiest Script/Movie Ever

Tools    

Movie Forums Member
I've always loved watching movies that are just weird and out there, that take you a few times to understand or have some far out meaning. Also those movies that add that trippy affect in them with lighting and/or special affects. Some that come to mind are:

The Wall
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Muholland Drive
Naked Lunch
Natural Born Killers
Requiem for a Dream
A Clockwork Orange
Brazil
Koyaanisqatsi / Powaqqatsi
Chronos
Dune - Lyntch Version
Lost Highway
Killing Zoe
Pulp Fiction (Because of the cutbacks and shifts)
Dark City/Existenz/The Matrix
Donnie Darko
Blue Velvet
Altered States
12 Monkeys
Cube
Vanilla Sky
Jacob's Ladder
Memento/Irreversible
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

And the beginning of them all - - 2001 a Space Odyssey

**Note that these should not be movies about drugs or druggy movies but movies that have trippy cinematography, effects, colors etc.

Rock on

A system of cells interlinked
Well, you posted my fav already, in Mulholland Drive, one of my favorite films of all time.

Try this out:

Dead Man (Jarmusch, 1995)

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Sedai
Well, you posted my fav already, in Mulholland Drive, one of my favorite films of all time.

Try this out:

Dead Man (Jarmusch, 1995)
Johnny Depp is the man. I've heard mixed reviews about this movie saying that it is excessively boring, others put it at genius and better than Ed Wood. I've been meaning to check it out. Thanks.

A system of cells interlinked
It is mad slow, but I would perhaps...ehhhhh, get into a certain frame of mind...before watching it.... It is a love/hate thing though. You will like it or hate it...

scitzopolis - steven soderberg...alongside mulholland drive the weirdest movie i have seen
also eternal sunshine is very trippy ( well all kaufman movies really...)
memento has an awsome screenplay too

Movie Forums Member
Hmm, not too shabby, I have seen Head actually, the Monkees. It's trippy like yellow submarine and alice in wonderland, just a little weirder. Tommy, well I guess you could add Quadraphenia to that, which at least a watchable Who movie.

Scitzopolis; this I have not seen and i'll look into.

Any more impressive scripts, like Tarintinoesque . I know there is Thursday and Killing Zoe. Any others?

The People's Republic of Clogher
For some reason The Happiness Of The Katakuris popped into my head.

I really like fear and loathing, donnie darko, and requiem for a dream. what are some movies more along these lines that you would suggest?
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Movie Forums Member
I'd say Blow is a good addition to those three.

More is very much like an old version of Requiem, but much better scenery. The film is very sexual, however, and has a somewhat heartless ending. The movie features a massive drug addict. It was made in the 60s and has a soundtrack by Pink Floyd.

The movie Traffic is also very good if you want a more serious flick on drugs. Can be a bit heavy for my taste, more like Requiem than Fear and Loathing.

Dark City is very good if you liked Donnie Darko and i'd say Existenz, which is David Cronenberg (so a bit sexual).

Natural Born Killers is quite the movie, very artsy and very weird, highly recommended.

Killing Zoe is a great little film, executively produced by Tarintino, this is an artsy bank robbing film, similar to Dog Day Afternoon, but more. The movie was made when Lawrence Bender was looking for spots to film Resovoir Dogs and found this, but it didn't work. Hence Killing Zoe.

Personally nothing equates to Fear and Loathing for me but these are good in their own right. Really it depends what you like about the movies. If you like the heavy drug use of Fear and Loathing then go with Blow first then move onto More. If you like the ideas expressed in Donnie Darko then go with Dark City or Existenz, possibly the City of Lost Children would fit in here too.

*A must see, if you haven't seen it is Jacob's Ladder. Really the first movie to start the "rubber reality" thing.

Tarintino freak.
natural born killers... i was like.. what? but it is pure greatness.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by adidasss
boxin helena is pretty screwed up.....
Hmm, interesting choice. This was directed by Jen Lynch if I'm not mistaken. I saw this movie awhile back, very weird. Good pick though, maybe a little too out there . If anyone doesn't know what this is about it has an obsessive boyfriend captures his ex and cuts off her arms and legs in order to keep her with him. The movie is like a bad David Lynch movie in my opinion. I'm not sure if I put this on my list but check out Blue Velvet, which is a Lynch Masterpiece.

THere's a bunch of Lynch stuff in this thread, but has anybody put Eraserhead yet?

Originally Posted by Antics
natural born killers... i was like.. what? but it is pure greatness.
Why are so many people in love with this mess of a motion picture? Natural Born Killers is just another example of Oliver Stone's massive ego at work. He tried to create a clever commentary on the state of today's media and its effect on society. But he used so much ****ed up cinematography and color gimmicks, that the end product is rendered virtually unwatchable (at least in my mind).

But somehow this jumbled & misguided piece of **** has found an undeserved and massive cult following. Why?

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Why are so many people in love with this mess of a motion picture? Natural Born Killers is just another example of Oliver Stone's massive ego at work. He tried to create a clever commentary on the state of today's media and its effect on society. But he used so much ****ed up cinematography and color gimmicks, that the end product is rendered virtually unwatchable (at least in my mind).

But somehow this jumbled & misguided piece of **** has found an undeserved and massive cult following. Why?
Well you answered your own question in that the movie has a lot of interesting cinematography and color gimmicks, which to some people, are very cool. With this, the subject matter about the problems with media applies to the time. It's either a love or hate movie, but thats what makes it good.

Originally Posted by dolarhydecb
Well you answered your own question in that the movie has a lot of interesting cinematography and color gimmicks, which to some people, are very cool. With this, the subject matter about the problems with media applies to the time. It's either a love or hate movie, but thats what makes it good.
Fair enough... but I still think the flick is pure bull plop.