Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm partial to the Searchers but love both.

I think his biggest Blindspot for me is The Quiet Man. Hoping to see that relatively soon.
I like The Searchers a lot, but a couple medium to minor sized issues prevent me from loving it. It looks incredible though.

The Quiet Man is quite good. Or should I say, quiet good. Sorry for the bad pun.

I like The Searchers a lot, but a couple medium to minor sized issues prevent me from loving it. It looks incredible though.

The Quiet Man is quite good. Or should I say, quiet good. Sorry for the bad pun.
The only thing you have to apologize for is not loving the Searchers as much as I say you should. All puns are both perfect and terrible, which is what makes them the best form of wordplay.

Have you seen:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Sergeant Rutledge
My Darling Clementine
Grapes of Wrath
Fort Apache

I always forget he did Valance, which I love. Grapes of Wrath is good but I don't go ape over it. Never can remember if I've seen Clementine, but I think not, as I believe my copy of it has never worked properly. Definitely never seen the other two

The only thing you have to apologize for is not loving the Searchers as much as I say you should. All puns are both perfect and terrible, which is what makes them the best form of wordplay.
Sure, I'll apologize for that.

*crosses fingers behind back*

Yeah, ditto; good movie on the whole, but it can only be so good when literally the entire movie is setting itself up for a confrontation that it ends up completely wussing out from.

I always forget he did Valance, which I love. Grapes of Wrath is good but I don't go ape over it. Never can remember if I've seen Clementine, but I think not, as I believe my copy of it has never worked properly. Definitely never seen the other two
I've only seen four films from Ford, but I will vouch for Sergeant Rutledge as well. Saw it on MKS recommendation and really enjoyed it.

If we're showing some love to Ford, I'm pretty partial to 3 Godfathers myself, which I don't think has that much of reputation.

If we're looking to kill any interest in Ford, Tobacco Road is outrageously bad, and features one of the most abrasive performances I've seen in a movie.

Gotta trackdown MDC (great transfer from Criterion. Gorgeous flick).

SR is part western part courtroom drama and one of the few starring roles for Woody Strode. Follows a Buffalo Soldier accused of rape. Came out durinf the Civil rights movement and seems to be Ford reconciling his mythogical west with the racial history of the country.

FA is my favorite of his cavalry flicks and features an incredible Henry Fonda performance as a supremely detestable military officer.

Yeah, ditto; good movie on the whole, but it can only be so good when literally the entire movie is setting itself up for a confrontation that it ends up completely wussing out from.
It's called an anticlimax and it's used expertly within the context of the genre and expectations of Ford's filmography, not unlike how the Coens/McCarthy used in No Country For Old Men.

It's ultimately a response to Ford's own western romps and subverts it with a highly critical character piece that thoroughly examines Wayne's Ethan and his place, or lack thereof, in a modernizing society.

If we're showing some love to Ford, I'm pretty partial to 3 Godfathers myself, which I don't think has that much of reputation.

If we're looking to kill any interest in Ford, Tobacco Road is outrageously bad, and features one of the most abrasive performances I've seen in a movie.
3G is definitely a groovy flick, as is it's animated quasi-remake, Tokyo Godfathers. However, I limited myself to 5 favorites, otherwise I'd have dropped a whole mess load of ones I dig overall.

Haven't seen TR though. Now I feel like I need to seek it out.

SR is part western part courtroom drama and one of the few starring roles for Woody Strode. Follows a Buffalo Soldier accused of rape. Came out durinf the Civil rights movement and seems to be Ford reconciling his mythogical west with the racial history of the country.
I still need to see SR, but based on your post, two of his Will Rogers movies, Judge Priest and Steamboat Round the Bend, might be of interest to you. There's some pretty dicey stuff, but you also get the sense that Ford is trying to evolve his views on race through the movies, so that roughness becomes additionally fascinating in the context of his career.

3G is definitely a groovy flick, as is it's animated quasi-remake, Tokyo Godfathers. However, I limited myself to 5 favorites, otherwise I'd have dropped a whole mess load of ones I dig overall.

Haven't seen TR though. Now I feel like I need to seek it out.
It's aggressively unpleasant. An hour and a half of characters doing proto-hick-comedy shtick and shouting at the top of their lungs. A movie set during the Depression should not have you rooting for the characters to die violently or at least suffer further financial ruin, but this movie managed to do that.

I was trying to get Crumbsroom to watch it earlier, in case you were wondering.

It's aggressively unpleasant. An hour and a half of characters doing proto-hick-comedy shtick and shouting at the top of their lungs. A movie set during the Depression should not have you rooting for the characters to die violently or at least suffer further financial ruin, but this movie managed to do that.

I was trying to get Crumbsroom to watch it earlier, in case you were wondering.
Ford's penchant for Irish stereotype comedy has never been the strong point of anything I've seen from him so I'm not surprised his comedy chops leave someone feeling miserable.

But I'll have to keep an eye out for it nonetheless.

Ford's penchant for Irish stereotype comedy has never been the strong point of anything I've seen from him so I'm not surprised his comedy chops leave someone feeling miserable.

But I'll have to keep an eye out for it nonetheless.
What if I told you that if The Grapes of Wrath was John McTiernan's Predator, Tobacco Road would be Shane Black's The Predator? That's the best comparison I can think of.

What if I told you that if The Grapes of Wrath was John McTiernan's Predator, Tobacco Road would be Shane Black's The Predator? That's the best comparison I can think of.
Reading that hurt my soul in a way that guarantees I will watch Tobacco Road.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Great Gatsby (Jack Clayton, 1974)
6/10
Stars in My Crown (Jacques Tourneur, 1950)
7/10
Ride Lonesome (Budd Boetticher, 1959)
6/10
The Bob's Burgers Movie (Loren Bouchard & Bernard Derriman, 2022)
6.5/10

The family has an adventure to try to save their restaurant when they fall behind in their rent.
Girl in the Picture (Skye Borgman, 2022)
6.5/10
The Naked Spur (Anthony Mann, 1953)
7/10
Valley of the Dead AKA Malnazidos (Alberto de Toro & Javier Ruiz Caldera, 2020)
5.5/10
Raining in the Mountain (King Hu, 1979)
6.5/10

An esquire’s "concubine" (Feng Hsu) and general’s fearsome lieutenant (Kuang Yu Wang) team up to try to steal a rare scripture from a monastery.
Where Are You, João Gilberto? (Georges Gachot, 2018)
6/10
Take the Night (Seth McTigue, 2022)
- 5/10
The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006)
6/10
Brian and Charles (Jim Archer, 2022)
6.5/10

Depressed inventor Brian (David Earl) [right] dances wuth his robot Charles (Chris Hayward), and they try to protect each other.
What the Peeper Saw (James Kelly, 1972)
6/10
The Beast in the Cellar (James Kelly, 1970)
5/10
Modern Problems (Ken Shapiro, 1981)
- 5.5/10
Playground AKA Un monde (Laura Wandel, 2021)
6.5/10

Six-year-old sister Maya Vanderbeque and eight-year-old brother Günter Duret have problems when they enter the same school; they each seem to have no respect for each other.
The Sharkfighters (Jerry Hopper, 1956)
- 5.5/10
Best Years Gone (Shane Hagedorn, 2021)
5/10
Stay Hungry (Bob Rafelson, 1976)
6/10
The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen, 1985)
7/10

Unhappily-married movie lover Mia Farrow meets and falls in love with a character who comes out of a movie and then later does the same wtth the actor who played him (both Jeff Daniels).

The Black Phone (2021, Scott Derrickson)

Mildly entertaining kid-friendly horror — not terrible but not very good either. Basically it's just a feel good teenage story that follows an archetypal "weak/bullied boy overcomes fear and becomes school hero in the end" arc - very nostalgia-driven in both vibe and look. Overall I found it rather tame, predictable, and not nearly as scary or suspenseful as I hoped it would be, with a couple of jump scares here and there, but not enough creepy atmosphere. The whole idea with the phone, while interesting, did not quite work in my opinion. On the positive side, the little sister's psychic dream scenes and the opening titles sequence were pretty good (cool visual/montage effects), and the ending, while predictable, was pleasantly upbeat and satisfying.