Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Eega (S. S. Rajamouli, 2012)

This is that bollywood movie about the dude who gets reincarnated as a fly and gets fly vengeance. Obviously this f**cks.
LOL.

I watched this years ago and, well, it is certainly as advertised.

Tonight, it's Official Competition - It's a Spanish made, Spanish language film with subtitles. I have a strong preference for subtitles rather than a lame dubbing job, so this was fine.

A rich guy wants to leave a legacy of having funded a "great" movie, hires a "renowned" director Lola Cuevas (Penelope Cruz) and two "great" actors played by Antonio Banderas and Oscar Martinez. The screenplay of the movie is about one brother who can't forgive the other brother for having been drunk, driving and gotten in a wreck that killed their parents. The two actors clash on how to portray the characters, the writer/director (Lola) has plenty of ego and not much of a clue how to make this movie. The film consists of rehearsals and preparation for actual filming, all taking place in a stark, minimalist set with little in the way of production.

It's been a while since I saw an old-school, European styled Spanish movie, especially a somewhat pretentious Spanish movie but, being what it was, I did expect it to be somewhat long and full or words. It was. It's also a comedy, in spite of the content. It's not just a movie about a movie, but the movie within the movie is a story from a book. In an odd way, it reminded me of Fellini's 8 1/2 from way back, full of self referential dialog and subtle humor rather than sight-gags or action. I liked it, although I think I would have liked it more if it was a half hour shorter.

Nevertheless, it was a relief from superhero movies, Top Gun or the latest Jurassic Park mess. I have not seen an old-school Euro movie for a while, so it had some novelty.

Finished s4 of The Last Drive In w/ Joe Bob Briggs tonight.

Two rewatches for me:

Uncle Sam- 3/5

Nightbreed DC- 4/5

A link for my ranking of the movies screened this season;

https://boxd.it/hd98S

Finished s4 of The Last Drive In w/ Joe Bob Briggs tonight.

Two rewatches for me:

Uncle Sam- 3/5

Nightbreed DC- 4/5

A link for my ranking of the movies screened this season;

https://boxd.it/hd98S

Ugh, man, I wish I liked Uncle Sam, but I remember it being really lethargic and lame.

Nightbreed is very good though, even if the lead actor kind of sucks.

Ugh, man, I wish I liked Uncle Sam, but I remember it being really lethargic and lame.

Nightbreed is very good though, even if the lead actor kind of sucks.
Uncle Sam IS lethargic and lame. That’s part of the peculiar charm.

Nightbreed is very good though the lead actor does kind of such. That’s part of the peculiar charm!

He also looks uncannily like David Boreanez. Who would’ve likely done a better job.

Dressed to Kill (1980, Brian De Palma)

Like 'Blow Out', this features Nancy Allen in one of the leading roles, but my immediate reaction is that I liked this one a lot more. In fact, despite its flaws, this film has impressed me so much it made me want to see more from De Palma. First of all, I think the cinematography, frame composition and editing are outstanding and incredibly inventive (the use of mirrors, in particular). Secondly, this film is a perfect demonstration of De Palma's expert knowledge of the mechanics of horror and the power of small detail — there are moments in this film that are genuinely, and brilliantly, scary, like that elevator scene (genius!), or the dream sequence at the end. The 'art gallery' sequence is another standout (the part where her gaze drifts from one thing to another and back again is just so quietly unsettling).If I have any gripes, it's the ending, I felt it was too abrupt.
Yeah, but all that transphobia...

Sorry to Bother You (2018) - 3.5/5

Surrealistic comedy with a twist. Like a combination of 'Don't Look Up' and Quentin Dupieux movies. The rap-scene was spot-on!

Yeah, but all that transphobia...
I get that, it's a sleazy offensive movie, no doubt. Speaking purely in cinematic terms, I found it fascinating and very impressive in some of its aspects.

Victim of The Night
Blood Simple (Coens, '84)

Down here... you're on your own.

WARNING: spoilers below
They say big things have small beginnings, but, while that's true in the case of Blood Simple, the start of the Coen brother's now-legendary decades long career, it's also true that this small beginning is a great one as well, taking a familiar Noir tale of adultery and murder, and filtering it through a sweaty, Neo-style sensibility, crafting a tight, tense work of profound, creeping paranoia, Texas (and Coen brothers)-style, and creating an enviable foundation for everything the iconic duo of filmmakers have made since.

It tells the story of Abby & Ray, a neglected housewife and an average joe bartender respectively, who impulsively strike up an affair while driving through a torrential downpour somewhere down in Texas. Naturally, Abby's husband Marty isn't too thrilled when he finds out about her infidelity, especially since it's with one of his own employees, but when he hires a sleazy, untrustworthy private eye for a "not strictly legal" job as an act of revenge against them, he accidentally sets off a increasingly insane chain of events, one where the dead seem to keep coming back to life, no one ever really trusts each other, and absolutely none of the characters can think straight, through both the real and imaginary pools of blood continually serving to obscure their vision.

So, when looking back on this film, it's striking how much Blood Simple set the stage for the Coens' later modern classics, with echoes reverberating throughout Fargo and their magnum opus No Country For Old Men, and, while it may not have 100% of the substance of some of their later efforts, Simple still has just as much STYLE, with cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld's tense, unnerving tracking shots, composer Carter Burwell's haunting, piano-centric score (which marks the first of his many collaborations with the Coens), and the pacing working to bring things to a slow (pot)boil, being agonizing in the most pleasurable sense of the word, if that makes sense.

And finally, Simple excels through its sheer, palpable atmosphere, which has one foot in the "real world", due to the copious amount of sweat constantly dripping off every character, whether it's from the Texas heat or their addled, fearful states of mind, while also accurately capturing the feeling of being trapped in a dream, albeit a bad one you can't even fully grasp, let alone escape from, as one bad mistake inevitably leads to the next, eventually leading you into an early grave. Add on top of that some sharp dialogue, a great cast all-around (including Frances McDormand herself in a strong debut performance), and traces of the Coens' signature black humor, and Blood Simple is anything but "the same old song"/film, as far as I'm concerned.

Final Score: 9
One of the first times in my life, at like 12 years old, that I realized I had just watched a truly good movie.

Victim of The Night

Dressed to Kill (1980, Brian De Palma)

Like 'Blow Out', this features Nancy Allen in one of the leading roles, but my immediate reaction is that I liked this one a lot more. In fact, despite its flaws, this film has impressed me so much it made me want to see more from De Palma. First of all, I think the cinematography, frame composition and editing are outstanding and incredibly inventive (the use of mirrors, in particular). Secondly, this film is a perfect demonstration of De Palma's expert knowledge of the mechanics of horror and the power of small detail — there are moments in this film that are genuinely, and brilliantly, scary, like that elevator scene (genius!), or the dream sequence at the end. The 'art gallery' sequence is another standout (the part where her gaze drifts from one thing to another and back again is just so quietly unsettling).If I have any gripes, it's the ending, I felt it was too abrupt.
Interesting. I liked Dressed To Kill a good bit but I actually think Blow Out is far superior and DePalma's best film.

Interesting. I liked Dressed To Kill a good bit but I actually think Blow Out is far superior and DePalma's best film.
Agreed. Can’t wait for the Criterion 4K to drop

The Dry, 2020

Investigator Aaron Falk (Eric Bana) left his hometown as a teen when he became the suspect in the murder of his girlfriend, Ellie. But when Aaron's childhood friend Luke allegedly kills his wife and one of his children, Luke's parents beg Aaron to investigate the murder. Aaron's presence in the town resurrects questions about Ellie's death.

I always have such mixed feelings when a novel I like is adapted to film. This is especially true with novels that rely heavily on what happens inside the characters' heads, as this can be tricky to put on screen. I really enjoyed Jane Harper's novel of the same name, and sadly this film adaptation doesn't quite manage to translate the power of its narrative.

The main issue lies in the way that the film handles the balance of the present and past stories. Flashbacks can be a powerful tool when used well, but in this film they are done in the most workmanlike way possible. From what I remember, the film does unspool the information in roughly the same sequence as in the novel, but there's a real disconnect between what we are shown of the past and what happens in the present.

The performances are okay. I thought that Bana was a bit subdued for my taste. It fits the character, who is withdrawn, but it means that a lot of sequences lack spark or intensity. There are some good supporting performances, including Jeremy Lindsay Taylor as Aaron's father, who both knows that his son did not kill Ellie and that Aaron is lying about where he was when she was killed. Eddie Baroo makes a strong impression in a small role as the owner of the bar/inn where Aaron stays, and his animated performance and likable character really elevate his scenes. Renee Lim also brings a nice, jittery energy to her role, as a woman who is clearly hiding something.

Both mysteries are pretty interesting, but they unfold in a way that is far too relaxed. The horrific murders of both past and present surely deserve more anger and emotion. Instead the pace of the movie simply marches you toward the conclusion.

Passable, but working from such a solid novel it feels like it should have been more.

I was disappointed with Blow Out. I found Dressed to Kill to be scarier, more suspenseful, and just overall a more interesting watch for me personally.

I was disappointed with Blow Out. I found Dressed to Kill to be scarier, more suspenseful, and just overall a more interesting watch for me personally.
Blow Out is going more for paranoia than scary and I think it pulls that off marvelously. It’s closer to Rear Window than Psycho. Even then, I’d say it’s clearer cinematic kinsman are Blow Up and The Conversation, neither of which are an attempt to scare the audience.

I think what makes Blow Out so exceptional is the way in which DePalma deploys all of his cinematic tricks to convey “listening.” Like Pakula’s political thrillers, his go-to is the Split Diopter, but he uses it to bring both the listener and the subject into frame. It’s elegant filmmaking and while still stylish, steps outside of his normal approach, which he lampoons in the opening “movie within a movie.”

I also find it to be the more thematically rich of the two, using movie making and it’s inherent deceptions and complexity to mirror the subterfuge of post-Watergate American politics.

Not trying to convince you to like DTK less. I’m a huge fan of both and a massive DePalma enthusiast. I just think Blow Out is his crown jewel.

Blow Out is going more for paranoia than scary and I think it pulls that off marvelously. It’s closer to Rear Window than Psycho. Even then, I’d say it’s clearer cinematic kinsman are Blow Up and The Conversation, neither of which are an attempt to scare the audience.

I think what makes Blow Out so exceptional is the way in which DePalma deploys all of his cinematic tricks to convey “listening.” Like Pakula’s political thrillers, his go-to is the Split Diopter, but he uses it to bring both the listener and the subject into frame. It’s elegant filmmaking and while still stylish, steps outside of his normal approach, which he lampoons in the opening “movie within a movie.”

I also find it to be the more thematically rich of the two, using movie making and it’s inherent deceptions and complexity to mirror the subterfuge of post-Watergate American politics.

Not trying to convince you to like DTK less. I’m a huge fan of both and a massive DePalma enthusiast. I just think Blow Out is his crown jewel.
When you said it's closer to Rear Window than Psycho, I had to chuckle because I didn't care for Rear Window all that much either.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, to be clear I totally get what De Palma was going for in that movie, I just didn't like the execution. I think I rated it in this thread when I saw it, and someone asked "why so low?", so I briefly tried to explain.

When you said it's closer to Rear Window than Psycho, I had to chuckle because I didn't care for Rear Window all that much either.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, to be clear I totally get what De Palma was going for in that movie, I just didn't like the execution. I think I rated it in this thread when I saw it, and someone asked "why so low?", so I briefly tried to explain.
Understood. Maybe paranoia thrillers aren’t your speed. Have you seen the Conversation, Klute or All the President’s Men by chance?

The Hall of Infamy

Lust for Frankenstein (1998) -

I don't have much of any experience with evaluating these kinds of films (one could criticize the film for excessive nudity, but that's kind of the point of the subgenre), so I'll do my best at reviewing it. Its story wasn't the easiest to follow and the poor quality of the dialogue didn't help much, but I think I got the gist of what was going on. To get what I enjoyed out of the way, I liked the use of colored filters for several sequences, a few shots which obscured the actors in shadows worked pretty well, and the soundtrack was nice as well. Overall though, I was deeply unengaged with the film. I got that Moira had to lure victims for the monster to kill, but this premise grew thin rather quickly and that the film seemed half an hour longer than it needed to be didn't help much. So yeah, story was kind of just whatever, but the style made up for this to a degree as this is the kind of bizarre, risk-taking film that's hard for me to hate. Also, in spite of what I said about the story, I did enjoy the final scene with Moira's former husband as a confirmation that she had lost interest in him (I have no idea what was going on after that though). So yeah, I don't have a lot to say for this one, but I'm curious to hear what some other people have to say about it.

Understood. Maybe paranoia thrillers aren’t your speed. Have you seen the Conversation, Klute or All the President’s Men by chance?
Seen and loved All the President's Men, I think I posted my brief impressions on here. Great movie.

I really need to see the Conversation again to refresh my memory, haven't seen that movie in ages.

Seen and loved All the President's Men, I think I posted my brief impressions on here. Great movie.

I really need to see the Conversation again to refresh my memory, haven't seen that movie in ages.
Interesting! I was betting you wouldn’t dig ATPM either. Agreed on it being great. Pakula also did Klute so you may want to check it out. Those two and Parallax View, which I haven’t seen, form his “Paranoia Trilogy.”

I LOVE the Conversation. I think it belongs right alongside The The Godfather and Apocalypse Now as Coppola’s finest.