Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hana-bi (1997)

I liked this about as much as Sonatine, but I think I just like older Japanese films more. I liked this more as it went along but I was never gripped by it. It was a good watch.

Guess I haven’t unlocked those permissions yet
I think it takes 25 posts for some things. If you quote my post above, you can see what I did to format everything the way I did.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Still never got round to watching this despite the fact some of it was literally filmed around the corner from me

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Dark City

A film before it’s time. The ideas, conspiracy, background and web that entangles this film are what make it great, but are also the cause of its horrible box office intake. The movie was too heavy for its time and collapsed under its own weight.

“When was the last time you remember doing something during the day”?

This film is so complex I’m not even going to attempt to describe it other than:

If inception, memento, 23, Manchurian candidate, Bourne identity, the Truman show, the matrix and quite a few others all gang banged a girl named the city of lost children, you would get dark city as the baby.

The Lincoln Lawyer

Love McConaughey.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 2019

Finally dug my teeth into this one. Leo and Pitt where great as I expected with QT. The end was as nuts as I was told. Definitely made me think after, but that might just be because I didn't know much about Manson. Like I didn't know he wasn't the one killing people it was his "family". The last hour of the flick after QT was done exploring Leo's and Pitt's characters the movie become pretty strong, like a normal QT flick. The first half had some funny parts and I get he had to build it up and I was engaged. However it sort of dragged unlike QT films in the past to me. Just not much of intrigue happen during the first part honestly. It's a fine effort I might revisit down the line, but for QT's bar I think he didn't hit it.

Oh and also what was the problem with the Bruce Lee part? I know their family was all pissy about it. I don't know much about Bruce, but who really cares, it was just a tiny part that probably exaggerated him. It was like 15 minutes tops, who cares. It was just trying to show how badass Pitt's character could be, which is needed later in the film.

Anyways I give it a weak 3 out of 5. Probably more of a 2.5. Worth a watch, but not his strongest effort to me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Quentin Tarantino, 2019

I saw the poster, I saw the cast, I saw the trailer and I understood right away that this would probably be a movie I would not like. I didn't. I'm not really much of a lover of westerns, unless it's Sergio Leone's, and my film knowledge of the 50's and 60's in America is very limited because I don't like the politeness, the cleanness most of those films have, I've never saw Gone With the Wind, or... so many others. I think I understood the point of the film, a view of Hollywood, and it's funny, because, this is a Hollywood movie staring two of the greatest names in the industry, one using a flame thrower to incinerate a living person, the other smashing a women's head "until you couldn't tell it was a head no moh" *. That's exactly the point that they were making all along, this industry can make people do anything, no matter who you are. We had the ultra violence for the fan boys, very poorly made in my opinion, and Tarantino's foots fetish, great.

*reference to Samuel L. Jackson jail house story in the movie Sunset Limited

Joe Carnahan, 2011

I'm pretty sure I've already rated this movie before, but it's always being displayed on television, and I like it. They say this is a action, adventure drama, for me it's a terror movie. I don't get frightened with most horror movies I've seen, but this one does that. I've been scared of wolves most of my life, or all my life, since I can think of, increased when I discover the mythology behind them. I remember I just wanted them to banish from the face of the earth, but then I started to read about them, and they're a magnificent creature, I still fear them, like hell, but I'm so mad to hear that farmers are killing Iberian wolves because they hunt there sheep's, they're so ignorant, but I understand what they might be felling. Concerning the movie, it's man versus nature, man going into the dark, the stage is the Alaskan wilderness, good pictures there, I think it's a good survival film, very tense, not as many action as expected, which is good, it's filled with masculinity, different personalities faced with an impending painful death, depressing really, you understand that there is no hope there, they're grateful to have survived a plain crash, questioning if there is fate, an higher power, God. In the most difficult time of there lives there stronghold is the remembrance of there most beautiful times, what they would like to see again, what they would still want to do. What I don't like, but I understand, is the incorrect depict of wolves behavior, still, there is scenes very accurate that I liked very much to see.

'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' (2019)

I did not like this film at all. Loads of style. Loads of cool camera shots and crane operated photography. Loads of great film posters and homages throughout. But that's it. I thought Pitt was weak. Di Caprio was ok. But there is a distinct lack of mystery and original plot brilliance that Tarantino had in his early films. It even lacks the charm, wit and fun of Inglorious Basterds. People were talking about the tense ranch scene....I didn't feel tense at all, it just felt long and lacklustre. One of the weakest films I've seen this year.

I wouldn't give it such a low rating, I don't intend to shock those who liked the film. The soundtrack is fine, I liked the songs, Di Caprio is okay, I'm not sure why Brad Pitt accepted to do that role, I'm not even sure how both accepted to do those roles, I guess that's the point I was trying to make, Hollywood. I can understand why some would like this film, it's just not my ball park. I wouldn't rate it as low because I think Tarantino managed to bring everything to the time/place he intended it to be, the movie point is not as bad, I just think it was badly unfolded/told.

Tarantino is becoming a walking clichê, he should really just quit at the 10th film. I like most of his films, one I do love, Pulp Fiction. He tried to bring nostalgia, those dog canned food, the outfits, the movie posters, the movie theaters and some common patterns with Kill Bill, I just don’t enjoy that when it’s so intentional.

I quite like the Kill Bill films. There's alot going on in them. But this one and The Hateful 8 just feel like self indulgent projects and Tarantino seems have a bout 2 or 3 really good ideas, builds the film around them but doesn't focus on the rest of it. It makes the movie rather dull. The first hour of Once upon a time in Hollywood is incredibly monotonous.

Hana-bi (1997)

I liked this about as much as Sonatine, but I think I just like older Japanese films more. I liked this more as it went along but I was never gripped by it. It was a good watch.
Aw man Cricket, it's one of my faves by Kitano.

The Fury (1978)

Surprisingly effective Supernatural-Horror-Thriller that's driven on by a fantastic John Williams score. Of its age but no reason to not feel fond of this. All performances are believable and that comes through.